• This topic has 26 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • on one inbred/456 sizing….
  • renton
    Free Member

does anyone know if there is much difference size wise between a standard inbred frame and a 456 frame.

im looking at a 20" frame.

the reason i ask is that i have a 20" standard inbred frame which is great for position over the cranks but quite long, ive had to counter this with a 50mm stem but now the front end is coming up a lot on climbs!
    I like the size for long xc rides but find it quite hard to throw around on tech sections like (whites level)
    its also a bit of a gate to be honest !

now i know the top tube length is a l;ittle bit shorter on the 456 but what about things like standover .

is the 20" 456 a gate too.

do you think a 18" frame would be better with a layback post and a sighlty longer stem.

cheers
    steve

STATO
    Free Member

the reason i ask is that i have a 20" standard inbred frame which is great for position over the cranks

Position over the cranks has nothing to do with frame size, its about where is comfortable for you. Once you know where this is you buy the length frame that gives you good weght distribution with a sensible stem length. If your running a tiny stem on a 20" then an 18" with a slightly longer stem (for same overall enght) would position your weight further forward on the bike, as the front wheel would be closer. You could go down to a 16" with an even longer stem but then your weight might be too far forward (as the front wheel would be well under you). Buying a smaller frame dosnt mean you need a layback post, many people only run them as they feel too cramped when really they should be buying a bigger frame.

renton
    Free Member

yep thats what i mean .

im cofortable with how im sat on the bike and with the 50mm stem the length is ok (even though i tend to ride with my finger tips for some reason??)

the problem im getting now is with the 50mm stem i getting the front end coming up and wondering on climbs .

i was thinking a 20" 456 frame which is slightly shorter and a 70mm stem might do the trick ??

what do you think.

glenp
    Free Member

How tall are you? Looking at your current bike I reckon you do need to go down a size.

tinsy
    Free Member

The On One sizing chart rekons an 18" for you as far as I know that would be for whatever One One frame you go for… To be honest your bike pictured on the other thread does look big.

Most On One owners go for loadsa seatpost showing..

I ride an 18" and really I should/could have a 16" according to the sizing chart as I am on the cusp, but my old one was nice and comfy so I just bought another the same size.

I dont think you would need to buy another seatpost either, run what you got and if you cant get set right then buy one.

I doubt the frame has much to do with the front lifting on climbs, drop your elbows..

renton
    Free Member

im 6 foot with 32" leg.

i did try an 18" after selling my full suss but that felt cramped , i might not have give it enough time to get used to it before going for the 20" to be honest though.

might try an 18" 456 then.

cheers

steve

tinsy
    Free Member

At the price how can you go wrong? Nice colour too.

You can see why its hard to get bike fit right, I am 5ft 9" with a 32" leg!!

glenp
    Free Member

I reckon 18" will feel a lot more chuckable. 50mm stem is fashionable but super short if you ask me. 70mm maybe? Also, I noticed that you have the saddle well forward on your other bike – maybe just the same post with the saddle in the middle as a start-point?

As for front wheel lifting – I too am doubtful that stem length is to blame.

STATO
    Free Member

the difference between an 18" and a 20" inbred is about 1" length, so a 50mm on the 20" and a 80mm stem on an 18" will feel exactly the same (in terms of length) with the same saddle/seatpost set-up. To match setup exactly you might need 1 or 2 more headset spacers to make up the space from the shorter headtube (you bars will be the same height if you dont cut down the steerer).

renton
    Free Member

my top tube is 24.1 inches (61.2cm)

the 456 18" frame is 23.5 inches (59.7 cm)

thats 1.5 cm according to google??

thats not too much to make up with a stem is it!!

now …… standard inbred or 456 for a 17 stone bloke!

tinsy
    Free Member

Your weight doesnt matter, dont see many inbreds broken, if it sways you one way or the other my pal is selling an 18" one the same as you have for £60 posted (might haggle), if you fancy new then the 456 is nice looking in the blue, or cant go wrong with the std white inbred…

renton
    Free Member

i find my inbred a bit flexy in the top tube to be honest and was thinking a 456 might be better.

tinsy
    Free Member

Just click the BUY button… And look out for a 70mm stem.

renton
    Free Member

have on one got 456's in stock does anyone know?????

tinsy
    Free Member

YEEEEEEEESSSS… £125 even I was tempted at that price and I wanted an XC race frame!!!!

Fortunately I got myself a 2nd hand Scandal this week, cant wait to build it up.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_456_30.html

cp

renton – I'm the same height as you, but with longer legs (34")… I really think you need the 18". I used to own a 20" standard inbred, but it was just too gate like, I'd say you need to be 6ft 2 or 3 + to get the most from that size.

which one you go for depends what forks you're going to put on it to an extent, and if you want the slightly more solid ride of the 456 (bigger diameter top tube)

I'm about to convert my 456 to racing a touring duties (wide flat bars and bar-ends!). they are sooooo versatile and a steal and the money they're going for at the moment 🙂

tinsy – what sort of money are s/h scandals going for?

tinsy
    Free Member

I got mine for £80, I have only seen pics so far, might be at home when I get in, but its got the usual marks of life on it, not mint.

I would have had a new one, but didnt want the slot as pretty sure it wouldnt like my brakes, and wanted a replacable mech hangar.

Inbred456
    Free Member

6ft 4' ride a 20' 456 plenty big enough for me with a 350mm seat post. I like the long top tube but I am a bit of an ape! Seeing as your only 6ft I would go for the 18' and get a 400mm seat post, sorted!

MS
    Free Member

I have just built up an 18" and I am 6ft. Got a 110mm stem on it, and it handles well and climbs pretty good to.

Just put a 400mm post on it for the ups and drop it for the downs 😀

Depends what the bike is for imo, mine is for good fun, bit slower on the ups but good fun on the downs, if i was more concerned with the ups I would have gone 20".

renton
    Free Member

frame ordered!!!! 😀

Inbred456
    Free Member

What size?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you want to offload your 20" inbred I may be interested. Dc30 at fsmail.net

renton
    Free Member

ordered an 18" 456!! 😀

blazin saddles ygm

CheesybeanZ

bit late now , but have you thought of a set of fox talas..
    wind em down to 100 mm for the climbs,no more probs . simples

hugorune

Good choice – I'm way too late to give you any advice but the 18" is perfect for up to about 6'1". I've tried the 18" 456 and the 20" and at 6'3" with a 34" inside leg I was thinking of going down a size – there's no way you should be riding a 20" at 6'.

Just finished building up my 20" summer season tonight 😀

renton
    Free Member

cheers all!!

cheezybeanz…. i run a set of u turn revelations and even with them wound down to 100mm the front end was coming up.

pretty sure its to do with the short stem!

hora
    Free Member

Resurrect…so the 18" inbred would be livelier than a 456 to ride? Thinking of something comfier. Im 6ft1 and want a chuckable frame.

On the inbred is the top tube measured ctr-to-ctr? If so the 16" would suit me….my Orange5 is circa 23.2 ctr-to-ctr. 24 end of tube to end of tube and I use a 50mm stem.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘on one inbred/456 sizing….’ is closed to new replies.