Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • On-One Hundred Enduro at Dalby today. Any riders thoughts on the event……
  • mtbikingmike
    Free Member

before I add my 2p worth…

dickie
    Free Member

Nice cool weather for cycling.
    Enjoyed the off road.
    Too much tarmac.
    Signage was poor or none existant, in places.
    Good turn out.
    Feed stations were plenty & well stocked, shame they didn’t have some lube – shame I didn’t have some lube.

twinklydave

Everyone was chatty & friendly
    Some good sections out on the moors (thank god it was quite dry…)
    Some funny bog bits
    Lots of lovely scenery
    Happy marshals
    Didn’t use the food stops but they looked well stocked

Ride uphill on rough/boggy tracks, then plummet back down on the road? Boo.
    More road. Would have been a nice cyclosportive I imagine, but that wasn’t what it was.
    Little signage, took wrong turns on a few unmarked bridleway junctions, as did many others.
    Event based in and a route that wiggled all round Dalby forest without using ANY of the singletrack?!
    Enough road (and fireroad) to genuinely make me wish I’d brought a cross bike.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Route pretty much in line with the map in content. Road, fire road, moors etc. Although the loop out of Goathland was different.

One key fork/junction was unmarked. Maybe sign had been removed. Might be a bit tricky filling up more of the red route with riders?

Enjoyed my day out. Thank you to everyone :))

Paul

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm, I looked at the map the other day and commented that it looked like a vast amount of fireroad with very little actually around Dalby. Shame.

RichS

1. A bag of flyers and catalogues is not ‘goodie bag’
    2. Signage was poor, very easy to get lost. Basic rule is sign the turn, then sign after as a confirmation. Sheep eat little yellow flags.
    3. complicated junctions need marshalls, if the farmer is complaining that gates were left open, then marshall the problem gates/areas.
    4. don’t promise sandwiches and cakes then only have water ‘cos you ran out. It was cold up there and I couldn’t wait around.
    5. Don’t ask for t-shirt size on the application as it leads to disappointment when you don’t get one.

gringojimi
    Free Member

This was the first event of this kind I have attended, so can’t make any comparisons. But here’s my thoughts:

Some great downhill routes were missed in preference for roads. After grinding away up a boggy climb only to find a paved road to roll down was a little disappointing.

Too much fireroad!

Anyone who camped onsite will no doubt have experienced the ‘Toilets from Hell’ *shudders*

Apart from that, I really enjoyed the day. The staff were all very helpful even though they were clearly rushed off their feet most of the time.

ac282

They had good showers.

£43 is alot for an event without proper course marking.

terrahawk
    Free Member

the website states, “the very best of Dalby Forest, home of the UCI World Cup’, which implies that the course would use at least some of the purpose-built MTB trails there.

it also says ‘almost exclusively off road’. ermm….

uplink
    Free Member

Dalby is relatively local for me, glad I went to Selkirk by the sound of it
    Even though I did end up with a bust wrist

Yak

+
    Enthusiastic marshalls
    Some nice moorland sections.
    North York Moors is a unique environment- expansive views, varied terrain- always enjoy being there.
    Well stocked feed stations

Needed to do a fair bit of mapwork to get round due to missing signage. Maybe move marshalls to the problem areas once they are known as problems?
    If the Dalby trails were generally unavailable, then a bigger moorland loop would have been nice.
    Litter! – whilst not much spotted, none is better, so gel wrappers, flat tubes etc back into pockets/ packs please.

Overall- enjoyed the day out, getting a nice long ride in which i’ve not done for a while, and always enjoy getting out into the North York Moors.

drdjpower

I agree with yak. Some minor organisational issues, but overall a good day out on the moors with nice people.

drdjpower

millcar
    Free Member

Maybe the organisers will learn from their first event…

My tuppence worth is

Nice food van from the cafe, nicely set out small event arena, good beer and bands (though i would have liked an earlier night but i’m an old fart). Some great trails and scenery. Great smiley friendly and encouraging marshalls at every point, BIG thanks for taking the day out to do it. Food stops adequate and frequent enough. Mainly well signposted…

… at least one crucial fork not signposted at the time we arrived (high on the moor and not late in day at all) Spoke to the guy from puruple mountain who marked it and am assured it was signed so i’m guessing the sheep ate the yellow flag (as they do). On such a crucial junction something more permanant maybe? (a person??. Too much fire road or just road on the return loop.

In the arena, no pasta Sat night (as adv). Cafe van: good food but 1.50 for a tea. Was ignored in favour of Purple Mountain helpers Sat night both in the van and on the bar… that kinda face i guess!!! The finish was all a bit… flat (advertised as a party?)

Sounds like a right moan but overall it was a good day out on bits of NYM i havent been on on a bike so all good and i’d go back for another event so no majors…

Does anyone know or have a link to a results table??

jturn71

Having never ridden that distance before or done any event I really enjoyed it overall.
    I think the marshall’s & organisers deserve thanks, I’m sure an event like that takes some organising.
    Some constructive criticism:
    Toilets were disgusting, should have had 15-20 for that many people or at least a urinal unit for the gents would have made a big difference.
    The advertised “mega pasta party” needed to be alot more mega! 1 small cupfull each was a joke.
    Needed an extra Marshall or 2 on the 50-75k section, where a large no of riders took the left fork onto a footpath as the sign had disappeared.
    A longer section of fireroad at the start might have avoided the bottleneck at the start of the singletrack.
    Would do it again next year.

moose2008
    Free Member

According to my gps and a couple of others the 100k was about 10k short, did any one else notice this?

gringojimi
    Free Member

You’re not the only one Moose, my friend’s GPS reported 90k at the end 😕

dickie
    Free Member

My Cateye said 59 miles, but I did about 1/2 a mile off course.

rachelspanis
    Free Member

Marshals good and thanks for volunteering, much appreciated. Weather also great and the mud a lot of fun but..
    Purple Mountain organizers dear oh dear…
    20mins to register
    Ran out of “goody” bags
    Sold you a whistle which was then in the goody bag if you were lucky enough to get one
    Toilets!!!!
    45mins late starting
    Ran out of food at the feed station, then water!!
    World cup route 200mts max (I rode it at springs British XC)
    Worse of all no marxhalls at critical junctions, masses of lost riders
    Finally not all numbers were spotted and logged at the finish.

If an amateur voluntary event fine but all in all for £40 not good enough, go to the Dyfi enduro and learn before you ask for money. I won;t be back. 🙁

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it puzzles me that people volunteer their time to support a commercial enterprise for food and a Tshirt

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘On-One Hundred Enduro at Dalby today. Any riders thoughts on the event……’ is closed to new replies.