Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • On One frame for touring/rack – slot drop out or, er, the other one?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Want to build up a steel touring bike take can also take discs, I'm tempted by a slot drop out Inbred as it looks like to disc caliper will be out the way for fitting the rack, but I want to fit BB7's to keep things simple and read they can't be fitted, so the other choice is a 456/Inbred but it looks like the caliper will still be in the way of the rack fitting – so I guess I would need spacers? Anyone fit a rack on an On One and can show me a pic or advise?

Cheers.

simonk
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/touring-on-an-inbred

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago hope his helps, for the record i decided on non disc and runing V's in the end

rolfharris
    Free Member

I think Ton is running BB7s on a bred.

epicsteve
    Free Member

When I had a geared Inbred set-up for touring/commuting I used V-brakes when it had the rack fitted:

It might have been possible to use a disk with it but it would have meant spacing out the rack mount to clear the disk brake.

I recently replaced that frame with one of the slot-dropout ones and that's easy to use with a disk & rack, which is one reason why I got it. The space for the disk caliper is pretty tight though – my Deore hydro fitted ok but I haven't tried a BB7 and that's mentioned on the On-One site as not fitting.

STATO
    Free Member

Plenty of people have gott BB7's to work on the slot-bred, from using bigger rotors or swapping pinch bolts for lower profile versions, just requires a bit of ingenuity.

Del

the advantage of having trackends would also be if you rip your mech off you can ss it relatively easily too.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Gratuitous inbred touring pic. The chainstay disc mount is dead handy

epicsteve
    Free Member

This is how it looks with a rack and disc brake with the sliding dropout frame:

This is mine as it's currently built, for commuting with some off-road:

allankelly

You can get a disc-specific rack pretty easily, they just have wider mounts at the dropout. Topeak I think.

al.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks for the link simonk, and interesting to see the link to the Topeak rack that fits disk brake bikes.

Did think about using V's on the back but all of my wheels, except for a really old pair, are disc brake only, don't really want to fork out for new wheels too, and I have a couple of racks already – maybe just space those out?

Epicsteve – what size rotor have you got on the back, is it a 180mm, the caliper looks as far forward as it goes and still looks a bit tight in there? Or is there more space around the seatstay than it look like in the pic?

I'll try and find out bit more on fitting the BB7's

Cheers everyone!

marionheck
    Free Member

Koja,

I just got back from biking through the himilayas on a 456 with avid carbon discs. I used a tubus disco disc spercific rack with no problems, they only have a 20kg limit but i was carrying about 13kgs and had no issues what so ever,

I can take take picture for you nezt week as i am travelling home at moment, plus nay other questions you have. a few pictures and story of the trip is on my blog at http://smuffandrooneyhoneymoon.blogspot.com/2009/08/travelling-to-india.html

and jsut choose the days after that for more pictures of the bike adn story etc… email is in the profile if you want to send questions etc.

Cheers

Dave

epicsteve
    Free Member

Epicsteve – what size rotor have you got on the back, is it a 180mm, the caliper looks as far forward as it goes and still looks a bit tight in there? Or is there more space around the seatstay than it look like in the pic?

The rotor on the back is a 160mm. There would be more room for the caliper if it was a 180mm.

There is some space for the caliper to slide behind the seatstay so the caliper could go further back if I needed to i.e. if I was singlespeeding.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘On One frame for touring/rack – slot drop out or, er, the other one?’ is closed to new replies.