Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • On One Fatty frame weight and 170mm hub options?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, it’s cheap, but is it a tank? Seems the steel equivalents are 5-6lb (and yes I know many think it doesn’t matter on a fat bike).

Also…rear hub? £110 Salsa seems the most reasonable…

JoeG
    Free Member

Fatty Dissection thread on UK Fatbike forum found a Medium one of the first batch to weigh 2494 grams with the headset cups still in.

Some folks were complaining about some of the Surly hubs; they said that the freehub body was cheap with loose ball bearings and didn’t last.

The On-One hubs are all cartridge bearings (2 front, 4 rear) and stainless steel, I believe. I’m real happy with my Fatty hubs, no issues so far. My only concern was that the freehub body isn’t well sealed. I added grease to mine to keep water out. In fact, I bought the Fatty 29er wheelset and plan to remove the hubs and use them with an more tubeless ready rim when I find one that I like. 😳

A few others have had problems with their hub end caps coming loose and the pawl spring breaking. On-One has a newer hub design to accommodate different axle standards, so they’ve been changed from the original ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers. Interestingly the Caribou (a contender, as I am in the trade) has a claimed weight of 4lb 4oz I.e. 2kg!

I just want the hub only as I already have a spare rim and front end.

I’ll head over to that thread. I might want to put a front mech on it also.

JoeG
    Free Member

I went 2×10 immediately. RaceFace Evolve crank; 24-36-bash and XT for the rest. The 36 is about 1 mm from the chainstay! 😯

In hindsight, I probably would have been fine with 1×10 as I rarely drop onto the little ring.

showerman
    Free Member

am running 1×11 on a beargrease and have no trouble glad i never went 2×10.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My guess is that gear choice depends on the riding one does.

So it’s an internal (i.e. semi-integrated) headset…44 top, 55 or 56 bottom?

akira

No idea of the frame weight but my sensible build doesn’t feel heavy to lift or ride.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Fatty’s build to around 33/34lb ish as standard, lighter than a pugs.

Spot on price for the frame only from On One.

I’ve had a the pawl spring fail in the freehub body, other than that the hubs have been fine. Lots of problems with Hope Fatsno’s at the moment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘On One Fatty frame weight and 170mm hub options?’ is closed to new replies.