Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • On one fatty bb dying
  • burko73

My second hand fatty is making sounds like there’s broken marbles and sand in the bb shel instead of nice bearings. It’s an sram x5 chainset and I don’t know what bb.

I’m new to fatties, what are my options ref bb?

I’m not that fussed with the sram shifters either and the cassette/ chain is worn as well.

What are my 2×10 options ref chucking shimano shifters/ cassette/ poss new middle chainring on I guess I can reuse the cranks with a new bb? Any hollowtech 2 bbs/ cranks available? It’s a100mm bb I think?

Northwind

SRAM GXP bottom bracket, ie shite unfortunately, and incompatible with everyone else’s stuff. I had a google and Gusset do a compatible one now, that’s a win…

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/bmx-parts-c7/bottom-brackets-c101/gusset-external-sram-gxp-bottom-bracket-p12677/s35578?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=gusset-external-sram-gxp-bottom-bracket-bbguxs2k&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CIH77IOSu8wCFcWVGwodBekLRg

I haven’t used this exact product but I use their Shimano-compatible one and it’s good. Way better than SRAM’s junk. Pretty sure this will work in your bike.

burko73

North wind. Good man. Will try these.

Did you know (from tweets cycles website) that “sram have now achieved total drivetrain nirvana….”

What a load of marketing boll£&s…!

I guess I can use shimano 10 sp on the back end/ shifters with a new sram chain with no probs?

burko73

North wind. Those bb cups only fit 68/73 width due to the internal sleeve. I guess I just bin the internal sleeve then and it’ll be fine in a 100mm shell?

Northwind

That’s what I do- you might find the SRAM one fits too though. To be fair, not everyone thinks this is a good idea. If you find there’s a lot of debris/water in the BB shell then maybe it’s a less good idea since the inner tube could be protecting the bearings. Equally I’ve sometimes found water trapped inside the inner tube, which has got to be counterproductive. I think it’s much of a muchness personally.

All said, I’d rather have a Gusset BB and no tube, than a SRAM BB and a tube.

As far as I know… if you want to keep it OEM and with a tube and all then probably it’s either SRAM again, or maybe Hope will have a fatsno option but it’ll be pricey.

For all the other stuff… SRAM and Shimano chains are totally compatible as long as it’s the same speed. I like KMC personally, ymmv… Maybe you can get a decent deal on a bundle?

lightman
    Free Member

Im still on the original GPX BB on my Fatty, 6200 miles and 1.5 years latter.
    Its the same with anything, if you look after it, it should last.
    I do have full mudguards though, so very little water/mud gets blasted into it from the tyres.
    When you put the new one on, get some waterproof grease and pack it in to help keep the crap out.

eth3er
    Free Member

Sram x5 GXP bottom bracket is pretty junky, I’ve had mine replaced twice in 6 months, they made me pay for it first time making out like it was my fault as I had installed it, I’m still bitter about that.

burko73

The previous owner of my fatty rode the coastline a bit I think. I’ll take a gamble on the cut’n shut option and can report back if it works/ doesn’t work.

Cheers

Burko

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘On one fatty bb dying’ is closed to new replies.