Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • On one codine or orange 5
  • ssbnreso
    Free Member

Which one would you buy? New on one codine 650b frameset or 2014 orange 5?
    On one new £650 or orange £500 both just frame…… help…..

chestrockwell

I would get the 5. Great bikes and you’ll get your money back if it doesn’t suit you.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Orange 5 if it were me, not had great backup from On One personally and my mate has had really great service from Orange so that would swing it for me.

russyh
    Free Member

To be fair though, Orange would not be interested in supporting a frame which was purchased second hand.

I have not ridden a codine, but have been a long time Five owner having owned most of the recent incarnations. They are great bikes and largely bulletproof in terms of build quality. Not as heavy as many make out once you build them up with descent parts (factory builds tend to be poor heavy spec) my current Five is a fraction over 28lbs with some fairly hefty tyres. With a descent quality shock on it pedals fantastically and I can’t say I ever notice any real lack of suspension when braking. Which is the main complaint of the standard keyboard warrior

timwillows
    Free Member

The Orange will be worth more in 2 years when you want to sell

greyspoke
    Free Member

Different rides though, Orange high pivot (good for stomping more pedal kickback), On-One lower pivot, not so fruity.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

On one now down to £549! Orange is bright pink so would need a re-paint, can’t see myself on a bright pink bike!

superstu
    Free Member

Hasn’t the orange changed quite a bit since 2014?

russyh
    Free Member

Yes, the 2014 model was both 26 & 650b I believe (650b came out towards the later part of the year) early mk1 650bs were more like the older shorter style geos. When Orange launched the mk2 650b it was longer, slightly slacker and lower. Also a touch lighter I believe. A marked improvement over previous models in my opinion. The new 2017 five is better still. I am super chuffed with mine, it’s the lightest most surefooted Five I have owned (my 4th now). I am really, really chuffed
    With it.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

It’s a 2014 650b version

grey

Go for the Five, you’ll not regret it in any way.
    They ride a bit different, but you soon get used to it and they are an absolute hooligan downhill.
    Oh !! Leave it pink, it’s a great colour.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Five is the model before the last one, so I dunno if I’d pay £500 for it. Though it is an excellent colour.

Personally I’d get the Codeine – for the geometry, the new shock and the “warranty” (you are probably aware that On One have a checkered reputation on that front).

russyh
    Free Member

I just sold my 15 mk2 650b frame for £800 with shock and headset. The pink one here is the version before so I would say is priced about right. The pink is a bit of a rare colour personally I would keep it.

damascus
    Free Member

Go for the codeine over that version of the five. The codeine is new, has a warranty and a new shock and available in other colours than pink.

konanige

Never ridden the 650b but the 29er is a real hoot to ride. One of my riding buddies sold his 5pro and bought a Codeine 29er, he reckons it rides very similar but the codeine has the edge. Had an issue with my early Codeine chainstay and must say that On-one sorted it quickly and with minimum fuss.

superstu
    Free Member

I’d go with the brand new Codeine personally, as think the five has changed twice since 2014. Warranty and consumer rights (if OO didn’t play nice) although not as much noise about problems with these as their latter hardtails

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Went for the codine 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘On one codine or orange 5’ is closed to new replies.