• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mb51.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • On one codeine 650b
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Has anyone got one? Or ridden one? I’m tempted just because of the value but I can’t find any reviews anywhere and I’ve never seen one being ridden.

nuke

If I’d bagged a frame at £377 the other day, I’d probably say it would have been worth a punt… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-codeine-275-frame-377-from-on-oneshould-i

But back at £610 (which is still cheap given price of frames these days), I just look and think I can’t bring myself to do it: just some heavy frame (with no bottle mount) from a company I’ll get limited support from these days 😐

(Previous On-One owner of 4+ frames and still ride a Scandal 29er)

I’m looking at frames like the Bird Aeris or maybe the Airdrop Edit

chakaping
    Free Member

Harsh but fair.

And it comes with a shock that I’ve literally never seen anywhere else.

Geometry’s OK though, by their standards.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Fair point. 300 might have been worth it but I guess I’m better off buying 2nd hand

scandal42
    Free Member

The shock seems to be over £400 alone

nuke

The shock seems to be over £400 alone

The shock was the kind of the tipping point for me not to get one…Marzocchi close their doors in July 2015 and low and behold OnOne spec a Marzocchi shock on the Codeine 27.5: being the cynic, to me that reads OnOne managed to bag a load of Marzocchi shocks on the cheap after they announced their demise and then stuck them on the Codeine regardless of if down the line there could be warranty/support issues 😐

jclowes
    Free Member

The shock is fantastic. I’ve put one on my Ariel and it’s transformed the bike.

You’ve got complete lock out with an adjustable blow-off valve. And the lockout actually works.
    A trail mode with adjustable rebound and sag.
    And in downhill mode you’ve got high and low speed rebound adjustment and high and low speed compression adjustment.

Really can’t sing it’s praises enough. As for people worried about support for it; I’ve had very good customer service from Marzocchi just a few weeks ago, and Marzocchi aren’t known as the privateers choice for nothing…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Marz are still in business, it’s just that Fox owns them.

mb51
    Free Member

I’ve had a 456evo11 for a year and half,fitted with lyrik,xt,dt Swiss, a very good 26″ hardtail in my opinion, but limited downhill ability.So decided a softtail needed. Decided to build one . After a lot searching the interweb for the best price/value, decided to have a look at On One, they were selling a frame package( Fox factory34 ctd,fit4 2015 but actually the reinvented version so 2016 model) shock was supposed to The marzocchi piggyback, but ended up with a Rockshox Monarch plus rc3 debonair (long story) for £750 at the time.There were 2 things holding me back reviews and single ring.I hit the interweb again for reviews,but few and mixed,but 2 chatroom replies claiming excellent climbing ability’s pushed me to buy one. Frame kit arrived in top condition( I stipulated kit be checked before despatching) I fitted it with a XT drive train ,nw36t Blackspire snaggletooth,1 1-46 cassette (had to do this as normally run a 2x with 28-40 & 11-36), XT785 brakes (xt8000 had too many mixed reviews, and if it’s not broke don’t fix it) WTB frequency team i25 rims on dt Swiss 350 hubs (will upgrade to 36or54 ratchet when I feel the need), Magic Mary evo/High roller2 tubeless, Funn kratos bars,Ragley stubbing 50mm stem,Funn saddle, no dropper,frames a medium i’m 5,10, but got short legs and only 75-80mm useable seatpost. All frames/frame kits now use monarch plus rc3 debonair shocks. I’d already hit the web for set up info, FOX said 15-20%sag for the forks,18%sag works for me,air pressure fox say 105psi for 98-104kg. For the shock Rockshox say 30%sag give or take 5%,i set it at 25% spot on,air pressure Rockshox say 1psi per 1lb,but I’d say it’s a bit more than that,you can expect to use a lot of air (I’m at 280psi) but max is 350psi. I took it to Swinley as it’s my favourite trail, blue red blue is 15 miles of mixed terrain, and a good test of if a bike climbs or not. I was worried it wouldn’t climb how I require it to,as at Swinley I’d say I do about 70-75% of my climbing out of the saddle, as it works for me.I found that it’s actually an excellent climbing bike, it climbs exactly the same as my hardtail,in or out of the saddle over the front makes no odds , no struggling for grip,i use pedal mode a lot but even in soft mode still climbs very good. I know it sounds cheesy but it climbs better than I dared to hope it would.I found it rolls along and rolls over very well.It runs quiet.It picks up quickly and is a quick bike on the flat(but not quite as flat out fast as my hardtail, buts thats 2x and 28-40, which I would of liked .There is one particularly tight and twisty,rooty,up and down suck you in and spit you out section that I thought due to being 650b and slack might be a bit much for it, but having ridden it 3 times now I can say it does it just as well as my 26″if not slightly better and a bit quicker, yes I can feel the wheels are bigger but as it rolls over better it cancels that out. On the Downhill sections, which is why I upgraded, it’s another world to me, the set up is perfect for it/me , very fast, stable, accurate, wants to jump. It just feels so good to me, not that I know much.It’s like a xc bike going up and a Downhill bike going down.I must say that when I first got on it it felt like I’ve always ridden it, no feeling strange when ridden 1 bike for year and half, then jumping on another. Niggles, the paint is very thin, as it is on my other on one, so helicopter,rhino tape,clear duct tape or other frame protection is required not just on down tube, but swinging arm, as if like me you will rub the back of triangle. By the bottom pivot to avoid cable rub and obviously by stem area. Bike wise I’ve not noticed anything else yet. If you are going to buy a Codeine Frame or frame kit from on one , I would say talking from experience, for peace of mind and to head off possible problems ,phone then first , get them to physically check their stock (they can) stipulate they check for defects before despatching(they can) as might save You a lot of stress, time and money.

nuke

Glad you’re liking the Codeine though 🙂

pickle
    Free Member

😆

sq225917
    Free Member

We started speccing those Marz shocks pretty much as soon as they started them, hence the custom colours. The same goes for the forks. The 160’s might have a bit of seal drag on them from new but they soften right in and last forever, none of that 20 hour fox bullshit. Phone Fox stock up on spares, it’ll outlast you.

I’d take the Marz rear over a Monarch debonair plus and I’ve ridden them both on that bike. personal preference though, there’s not much in it.

mb51
    Free Member

Hi mate. I don’t get what you’re trying to say! On one don’t use the 350ti anymore, but no one said they were bad forks, people did say about the drag some sent them back to be fixed, some put up with it. There piggy back shock had good reviews, and again I think their only on top spec model now, all the rest use the monarch plus rc3 deb.Evey body knows marzocchi has the longest service intervals and Fox the shortest, and the majority of owners with the marzocchi setup said they couldn’t get setup information anywhere. personally i purchased the frame, fork (2016 fox fit4 not the ctd 2015 like they say) and shock Kit that was supposed to have the zocchi shock, but due to planet x confusion with their online stock and actual stock.(a laughable stock difference if it weren’t so bad)i ended up being given the monarch rc3, which I’m happy with. I had more than a few conversations with planet x staff , and the last one I had, I was told basically i should be happy to have a upgrade to the monarch rc3 as it’s a better shock according to the staff member.so make of that what you want. But at end of day frame fork kit cost me £750 so i’m happy, but would of been happy whichever shock I got.But in my opinion the only things that matter whichever frame,shock,fork combination you have , is that the bike is excellent at climbing and going downhill beyond its price range.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘On one codeine 650b’ is closed to new replies.