Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • On-One Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord – TLR or not?
  • dantsw13

Ive been using a Chunky Monkey tubeless for a while now – absolutely fine. Until saturday night at QECP, when it departed the rim on Stage 2 of the Night Gravity Enduro. Another rider also lost his Chunky Monkey on the same stage.

It had fresh sealant, and the beads all popped in with the usual “crack”

Are these tyres actually TLR, or are they just “should work, but no guarantees?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not TLR.

I recall Shiggy (the designer of the tyres) commenting somewhere that he could not endorse them being used tubeless.

miranmtb
    Free Member

not tlr +1
    but a lot of folks (myself included) run them tubeless just fine
    in my experience even tlr tires can burp

tmb467
    Free Member

like all monkeys, they only burp at night

brant
    Free Member

Ive been using a Chunky Monkey tubeless for a while now – absolutely fine. Until saturday night at QECP, when it departed the rim on Stage 2 of the Night Gravity Enduro. Another rider also lost his Chunky Monkey on the same stage.

It had fresh sealant, and the beads all popped in with the usual “crack”

Are these tyres actually TLR, or are they just “should work, but no guarantees?

They are definitely not TLR.

scandal42
    Free Member

Not TLR but mine have been nothing short of fantastic ran tubeless.

gazc
    Free Member

burped mine a few times but never bad enough to be classed as a failure – imo great value tyres

dantsw13

Ok, as I thought.

What is the difference between non TLR and TLR? Is it porosity of the carcass or different bead? They have always held air fine, but if they are more prone to burping, I may have to change. I ran them tubeless in Morzine last year with no issues.

Is there any plan to make TLR versions?

Lummox

Changed my smorgasboard that I was running tubeless to a chunky tubed, rear felt ‘wobbly’ at around 40psi and was very nervous in practice. For the record my front was tubeless chunky at about 35 and held up fine.

BoardinBob

Running chunky monkey and smorgasbords tubeless at low 20s psi with no problems.

dantsw13

Maybe its just because Im a fat git!!!!(95kg)

Im causing much merriment with the lads at home, because i also split my rear tyre (Conti XKing Prot BC) wide open on stage 4 practice!! 2 tubeless incidents in 1 night after a year with none 👿

banana
    Free Member

I’m the other rider to have their Chunky Monkey let go of the rim on Saturday night (just over a minute into stage 1). This was my second ride using this tyre and rim combination tubeless.

I’ve since had a good look at the rim and the tyre and can’t see any damage to either, although I’m thinking it’s not a good combination. The tyre is not a very tight fit and difficult to inflate. The rim is a superstar tactic. I’m going to try a couple of different tyres on the rim to see if it’s the tyre that’s a bit big or the rim that’s a bit small.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve recently had Chunkey Monkey burp when tubeless on Flow (pre -EX version) at about 25psi. Seems fine at higher psi though.

BoardinBob

FWIW I’m using the proper Stan’s freeride kit on WTB non-tubeless rims for the Chunky Monkey.

dantsw13

Mine was on a Mavic 819 UST rim – never had any issue with this rim in 2 years until then. Maybe just one of those things.

Ive got Superstar tactics on my 29er HT, using Smorgasbords for 6 months with no issues.

andyrm
    Free Member

I ran a CM on a Superstar Sentinel last season no worries.

Build the rim up with a few more layers of tape (think I did 3-4 layers of Superstar tubeless tape if I remember correctly) and it will be fine.

I weigh in around 73kg and was racing enduros on it no problem at 32PSI. Not a single burp.

wiggles
    Free Member

Run mine as low as 15psi and not burped it.

(Lard arse rider and flow rim)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘On-One Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord – TLR or not?’ is closed to new replies.