Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • On-one chunky Monkey tyres, Reviews/ Opinions
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Has anybody tried these or is using them at the moment. What are your thoughts. They look a little like the Hans Dampf imo. but only 14,99 each.

Can’t find any reviews on the web..

theboatman
    Free Member
    tomaso
    Free Member

Got one fitted to the front of my hardtail & it feels great up & down the street, but will know wednesay night when I take it out. I’ve got the dual compound version & it looks & feels the part.

akira

Impressed with them so far, pretty grippy and roll reasonably fast. Mud handling and clearing is good as well, very easy to fit so not sure how well they’d go up tubeless but not tried yet. Tricky to beat at the current price.

tymbian
    Free Member

Wet rocks, roots etc.?

Worth the £30/ pair or are they just OK for a £15 tyre?

djbmtb
    Free Member

Got one on the front and a smorgasbord on the rear. Only done a couple of short rides on them so far but been very impressed and when you consider you get both tyres for the price of one makes it even better. Oh and mine went up easily tubeless.

dday

Running the CM 29er 2.4 on the front only, tubeless setup with no fuss, 3 rides to date in horrible surrey sludge. Recent ride included a bit of roadwork, and very claggy mug.

Compared to the other tyres I have run on this bike, including Spesh purgatory 2.2s and Ardent 2.4s, the Chunky has a horrifically high rolling resistance. I found it exceptionally hard going. Mud clearance was average. It really made the hills hard work. However, on the downhill rocky gully run, it was great, and confidence inspiring.

I’ll be going back to the purgatory 2.2’s on the front for the rest of winter, and keeping the Monkey for the next trip to the Alps.

Imho, my single speed runs Bontrager mudx, exceptionally good tyres, still going strong after 3 seasons.

euain

They are just plain dangerous! I’m taking angles across roots and stones that I shouldn’t be able to get away with. I’ll get used to this and when I put a faster tyre back on sometime, I’m going to fall off (more than normal).

Seriously, awesome grip over wet rocks and roots and seems to work pretty well as a rudder in the deep mud that makes most of the descents round about here. Seems a bit hard pedalling compared to the Nobby Nic it’s replaced on the front – but in this weather, nothing’s going to seem fast. I’m liking it a lot and at the price, I’m very happy.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

draggy on the front – how can you tell that?

miranmtb
    Free Member

@rob jackson
    I think is more weight than drag on the front.
    My 29er single compound version is almost 1kg (985g).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

omg

euain

I’m wouldn’t argue that hard if someone said that it was all psychological or just a reaction to the tracks being 2″ (or 2′ in some cases) deep in mud – the bike feels slower than before.

Could well be weight or rolling resistance (though effect won’t be as big as changing the back tyre, I grant you).

They are not meant to be a race tyre anyway – so I’m not too bothered. It’s the grip I wanted and they have a lot of that 🙂

chillidave
    Free Member

Bump this up again, I’m going to run these both front and rear following Rob’s enthusiasm on here. Has anyone tried reversing these on the back or just run them as normal?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Dave – i have a pair i am getting shot of (hardly worn) – reason was that i was using them tubeless and punctured both (fixed now with sticky string things) but bought some Fat Alberts in the mean time.
    You can have 1 unworn (used on front) chunky monkey, 1 tiny bit worn chunky monkey, and a 2 ride old smorgasbord for £30 posted if you want? Or £20 collected from Hope/Sheffield

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Rob, I actually already have them was just asking before I set them up tubeless.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

They are not easy to get up on stans flows ime and needed neat washing up liquid and compressed air 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

Chunk & Smorg here. Went up very easily with the track pump alone on my duct taped 719s. I would not put a CM on anything narrower, it’s fairly round and looks to suit a wider rim.

In my summery use it’s been going ok. Doesn’t feel like it has a click into the the shoulder lugs as there is a bit of a groove. When it has let go it has been progressive. The Smorg lets go quite easily, I would not put one in the front. Briefly had a little mud fun and it cleared ok but I think it will take a bit of getting used to trusting them at a lean. But I have that with any new tyre!

I think the compound helps, I’m running them at 27/29 psi on a Blue Pig X. They did feel a bit draggy when softer but would suit being softer for someone who was just descending.

I got the pair for £32.50 in foldy dual comp. I’m not expecting much of them when it turns to slop, but I’ve got Mud XRs for that. Give ’em a go.

mangoridebike

Rob – interested in those tyres if they are available still – email sent 🙂

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, got one up very very very easy on my Roval wheels, just soap and water went up first time and staying that way.

However I still only have one, I ordered two Chunkys from On One, got one Chunky and a Smorgasbord. Very annoying. I ordered a replacment Chunky yesterday but postie has been and gone with no tyre 🙁

Not in to be able to wait for the postie tomorrow so no rides for me this weekend, On One are great, just wish they’d pay a little more attention to the small details sometimes.

Cheezpleez

I’m using a CM on the front of my Buzzard and I’m properly impressed. It’s fairly weighty but it’s a big, tough tyre. Went up pretty easily on a Flow rim – might have needed the 9p inflator but tbh I can’t remember. Incredible value.

chronos
    Free Member

Put a Chunky Monkey 2.4 29er dual compound on the front of my rigid 69er. It’s an outstandingly good tyre and inspires confidence.
    Great bump absorption at low pressure and fabulous grip.

Nearly 1kg but well worth the weight penalty. Can’t argue with the price either.
    On One send me the wrong tyre originally.. a 26inch Smorg. Anyway. they made good and customer service was polite, although it did cost me a week wait.
    I may buy another at that price tho as it’s a steal.

tymbian
    Free Member

I ( OP ) have had mine (2.4 CM dual and Smith dual ) for 3 weeks now and loving them. Not a slop tyre or grass but for everything else I’m well pleased. Off to Wales for a week soon and they’re staying on, I’ll probably go tubeless by then. A confidence inspiring tyre.

I put these on a new to me Bfe frame and get an insane, hooliganistic ride. Be warned.

dantsw13

Chunky monkey soft compound on the front of my Heckler, and it never missed a beat in Morzine. Those rooty red runs under SuperMorzine/Zore lifts were a doddle!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘On-one chunky Monkey tyres, Reviews/ Opinions’ is closed to new replies.