Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • On-One Caron Fatty Fork Brake Mounts
  • hecklejk
    Free Member

So I’ve just finished building my new fat front wheel (Novatech 135mm Disc D101SB hub on a Robbson Rim), and I’ve run into a bit of an issue… When I try to put the wheel in the fork, the brake rotor does not insert into the brake caliper. I have taken the caliper off and put the wheel into the fork, and the brake rotor actually hangs on the brake mount adapter (IS to Post). I have tried grinding the mount down with an angle grinder but I have it down to a point where I’m afraid the bolt threads might break… Does anyone know where I might be able to find a thinner IS to Post Mount adapter?? I have tried both Avid and Shimano with no success!!

Really hoping I don’t have to abandon my new front wheel!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

wwaswas

You probably have a FDS wheel, you need an RDS one 🙁

thesurfbus
    Free Member

What he said ^

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lester
    Free Member

Try a snowpack brake adapter from Charlie bikemonger, it takes the caliper in by a few mms

hecklejk
    Free Member

Cheers letter, I’ll give Charlie a shout tomorrow morning!!

letmetalktomark

I think the spacer does the reverse of what you want – if I’m reading your OP correctly.

Sounds like you may have a FDS hub in a RDS fork. The reverse of this is compatible with the spacer mentioned but not the former.

Lester
    Free Member

Yes I think I have got it wrong, sorry to have misled you op
    I remember now I had the same problem, and I phoned on one, they were not much help either, they just said they use a thin brake adapter

MadBillMcMad

yep, it’s a sod – caught me out too.

I had bought a wheel with an FDS hub.
    There are a few (major) bodges out there but I decided to play safe & bought a new Hope RDS front hub.

So I have an unused Hope FDS hub awaiting my next bike.

Look on the bright side, You’ll love the fork though, when you get it set up.

hecklejk
    Free Member

Cheers all, looks like I might be selling a new front wheel then 🙁
    I’ve been running the On-One carbon fork for about a year now, and I love it… What I don’t love is the On-One Fatty Rim, as I’ve never been able to seat a tyre on it properly hence the new wheel…

Lester
    Free Member

i dont think it is definetely an rds/fds wheel issue
    i had the problem with the rolling chassis supplied new from on one, so unless they mucked it up…………

akira

I couldn’t get the fatty rim set up tubeless till I used ghetto 24″ tube option, worked a treat as otherwise it was far too slack.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

You probably have a FDS wheel, you need an RDS one

What he said ^ [/quote]

What did he say? (sorry fat bike noob)

Lester
    Free Member

i think it means
    rear dished wheel
    front dished wheel
    presuming you know what dishing means

MadBillMcMad

It’s not the dishing of the wheel, that would make no difference of the gap from the caliper to the disk.

RDS/FDS stands for Front disk spacing or Rear Disk spacing.

The OnOne forks on the original Fatty (no idea about the Trail) are RDS, most but not all manufacturers are FDS on the front.

Essentially RDS puts the calipers too close (I think) to the centre line when using an FDS fork & short of shaving material off the fork adaptor the only solution is an RDS hub.

andyl
    Free Member

Can you trim down the non-disc side axle adapter, add a shim to the one on the other side and get away without re-dishing the wheel for the sake of a couple of mm?

Lester
    Free Member

i dont think i will add anything anymore, im absolutely no help at all 🙁 going off to stand in dunces corner

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I cut down an existing brake adaptor, I had to take around 5mm off I think.

Northwind

Am I right, that this RDS/FDS is from back in the day where 135mm front forks were designed so you could put a rear wheel in the front, basically as a backup for your mad arctic epic? Whereas FDS is for front-specific 135mm hubs?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘On-One Caron Fatty Fork Brake Mounts’ is closed to new replies.