Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • On One Carbon XC Whippet – any thoughts yet?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you get in quick, it's £399 for the first batch, and I'm struggling to find much that matches it for value, or that is a little different. It seems an awful lot prettier than the carbon 456, it'll fit my 100mm forks a lot better and it appears to be a good combo of light weight and hopefully, sensible strength construction.

Anyone ordered one, or going to? The BB92 thing seems a bit weird but as far as I can work out, my SLX HT2 cranks should fit. I'm just tempted for it as a fancy XC bimble-about bike (that's pretty much all my 456 does at the mo) 😳

Oh yes – how does the front mech fit? Standard XT band on with the band taken off, or something a lot different?

Anyone know any background on its construction / manufacture? I know they've earnt an excellent heritage with the PX road bikes over many years. Finally, if you don't like the look of it – what else would you spend £400 on in the nice frame stakes?

nuke

Looks nice…certainly relative to the carbon 456. What's the geometry…same as the Scandal/Inbred? If it could take 120mm forks I'd probably get one. Since not, I'm out. Shame, don't know why they didn't make it up to 120mm since most XC forks are around 120 mm now…even SID are going to 120mm for 2011 iirc. Doubt it would add much weight and it can't be all about weight given they have gone for 'swap-outs'.

onandon
    Free Member

1300g is a tad lardy for an xc frame.
    The price is good though

gonetothehills
    Free Member

It's supposed to be based on the Scandal – 70deg head / 73deg seat and 105mm head tube. It's a low stack height headest job and I guess 120mm forks would just relax things a touch. No idea on the warranty implications though…? My Anthem X runs wonderfully on 120mm forks, and that's supposed to be only 100mm 'by design'.

I agree on the dropouts thing – they must have added a few grammes but it's still come out pretty light. The Maxlight XCPro3 over there >> is a good half a pound heavier for £100 more.

HTTP404
    Free Member

1300g is a tad lardy for an xc frame.

a sub-3lb frame isn't lardy for XC.
    however, this frame can do 4-6in fork which is hardly XC too.
    it's more a super lightweight jack of all trades.

nuke

however, this frame can do 4-6in fork which is hardly XC too.

It can do 4 max…it's not the carbon 456

gonetothehills
    Free Member

What's the score with the press fit BB? Is it a potential white elephant or does it have some advantage over the HT2 / X-Type ones? Anyone using one on another frame?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I read the blurb. I read this;

Ride all you're favorite routes at greater speed

All I could think was Van Halen and the M&M story. If they can't get the simple things right…..

theboatman
    Free Member

Is it going to stay a naked frame or get any decals? I know decals and their looks are a personal thing, but I tend to think naked carbon frames just look like ebay specials….each to their own and that..

cynic-al
    Free Member

You must be a lot of fun at parties cfh.

timdrayton
    Free Member

How much does the small weigh??is ir 16"?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Tim, I've been working on 1300g for the 18" (effectively their 'medium' size). Not sure if you can order anything other than 18" yet though? They do mention 1200g somewhere else so maybe that's the 16" or just a typo?! 🙂

epicyclo

Is it a 26" or a 29er?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

It's a 26er, epicyclo. Their sub 1Kg 29er is the last of the three new carbon frames to come out. There's a bit on the site about it.

I've just been out for a nice couple of hours bimble up round the forest on my 456, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it – it's a lovely frame. Need / want…? Stick / twist…? 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

I agree on the dropouts thing – they must have added a few grammes but it's still come out pretty light. The Maxlight XCPro3 over there >> is a good half a pound heavier for £100 more.

Erm no its the same price and much much prettier 😉

XCPro3 is £399 🙂 and its 200g heavier 🙂 but after the first batch it goes up to £499 surely 🙂

mangatank
    Free Member

In a conversation with on-one sales the other day I was told that for the main batch of both carbon frames arriving in September, there'll be painted options, as well as options for custom paint jobs. Sounds great.

Very tempted by the 456 but it's hard to see the Whippet being better than the ScandAL. Such a good bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘On One Carbon XC Whippet – any thoughts yet?’ is closed to new replies.