• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • On-One carbon forks.
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of swapping out my suspension forks for a rigid one (26″, straight steerer).

On-One have a couple of interesting options, a one piece Monocoque fork and the MK35 carbon/alloy fork. With discounts the Monocoque for is actually cheaper but the original RRPs were the same.

Is there a clear winner? I must confess to being nervous (rightly or wrongly) of carbon steerers and would value strength and durability over lightest weight.

sq225917
    Free Member

I can’t think of the last time we had a carbon fork back with a steerer failure that didn’t involved not putting a fork bung in it. Both of them are solid bits of kit, just make sure the rake angle and length is right for your frame.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that the MK35 looks better with steel frames and the monocoque one with chunky aluminium or carbon frames

JoeG
    Free Member

My carbon Fatty fork has been great. Just be sure to get the correct bung for the steerer tube.

akira

Got a monocoque fork I was going to sell ur you’re interested, need to measure steered.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a steel frame so perhaps the MK35 is the way to go. I wish though that On-One did the monocoque forks in white like the fatties.

cookeaa

I’ve got a steel frame so perhaps the MK35 is the way

If you don’t trust carbon why is that a “better” option? If you believe it’s going to snap how are the legs that much more acceptable than the steerer?

I would just go with the monocoque cheaper, stronger, lighter…

in theory at least, although the only options currently in stock is £150… That headline £99 price is for the one out of stock till late November…

In fact if you just want to try rigids they have their basic 26″ chromoly fork in stock and in white for £50, give it a whirl if you don’t like it, you can flip them on for a minimal loss, if you like rigids, then find something posher and carbon…

righog
    Free Member

In fact if you just want to try rigids they have their basic 26″ chromoly fork in stock and in white for £50, give it a whirl if you don’t like it, you can flip them on for a minimal loss, if you like rigids, then find something posher and carbon..

If anything will put you off riding rigid forks it is the £50 On One steel forks.

convert

I’ve got the 29er version of the carbon jobbies in a Niner Sir9.

They ride pretty reasonably but the bike isn’t used for anything particularly intense so not that qualified to judge. Aesthetically they are an acquired taste – still not sure. The top of the crown has a broad flat area which in this frame with press fit headset looks a bit daft as it sticks out about 10mm all around the headset.

Also, if you buy it make sure you buy their bung too. The carbon steerer is very thick and nothing else will fit it easily.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve ridden steel rigids on a couple of bike and have been more than happy with them. I don’t have a problem going the steel route again but the market does seem to be moving away from steel in terms of forks.

I suppose that some of my nervousness about carbon forks is that I’m a fairly large gentleman and a lot of carbon forks do state rider weight limits, which tends to suggest a touch of fragility (although I don’t think that the On-Ones fall into this category).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘On-One carbon forks.’ is closed to new replies.