• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by otsdr.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • On One carbon fork bung way too big to fit in steerer – alternatives?
  • jakd95
    Free Member

Mildly pissed off. I’ve just bought an On One Carbon Monocoque fork for my Inbred. The fork is lovely, I’ve cut the steerer, aligned the caliper, got the stem and bars on but I’ve just got to fitting the bung and there’s no way it’s going in.

Given that they are both On One, I assumed it would fit, apparently I shouldn’t have. Irritated as I was looking forward to going out for a ride.

Question is, what’s an alternative bung that is of a slightly smaller diameter? The On One one will be getting returned.

Cheers,
    Jack

scotroutes

You are not the first to have this problem.

You could try calling On One to see if they have the correct part for you. However, I suspect you’d have more joy cutting off your toes one-by-one.

jsync

I have one of these in my Hack:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-compressor-adjuster/rp-prod2218

Read the instructions first before hamfistedly stripping the thread like I did.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    convert

Bizarre – just done exactly the same thing.

The carbon in the steerer tube must be really thick. Just to confirm – you bought a bung with the forks? I had one knocking around from some old forks so offered that up but was hoping a new one from On One might do it. Failing that I was considering grinding down a star fangled nut and using that. I know you are not meant to use them in carbon steerers but as you only need them to draw the fork up and once the stem bolts are tightened they are entirely redundant I can’t see what harm they can do. Or turning up a bit off Aluminium, drilling and tapping then bonding in with some araldite.

edit – the fork – it’s a chunky chap around the crown. There is quite a ledge under the bottom cup.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

For the umpteenth time, it’s not your fault but you’d think that their all singing website would direct you to the right one this one is the one you want.You simply remove the sleeve that comes with it and bob’s your uncle.

wwaswas

On my one there was a sleeve on the bung. Take that off and it fits perfectly.

Think the sleeve is for fitting it to road forks

[edit] beaten to it.

igm

Their carbon road forks and carbon MTB forks have different wall thicknesses.

Sound like you have the £9.99 road bung and you need the £14.99 MTB bung.

jakd95
    Free Member

I bought this one , it’s not the one with the sleeve. I’ll try the sleeved one though.

The carbon in the steerer tube is just really thick, everything else fits fine (crown race etc.).

martinhutch

Oh yes – see the thread I started a few weeks back.

Eventual solution. Get my file out. Put something decent on the telly.

God, wish some of you had replied to my thread. 😀

What I bought wasn’t badged as a road bung on their site – was linked as the appropriate bung from the mtb fork page…but we are talking about on-one here, I guess.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Just checked on the bomb site they sell stuff from and if you try the non taper carbon fork page, it actually directs you to the wrong bung under “customers also bought”!!! if you try the tapered option, there’s no link which I suppose makes the choice slightly more random. Keeps customer services in a job I suppose.

jakd95
    Free Member

It’s a mess, there’s no indication as to which one you should be buying. It’s going to end up costing another tenner in postage by the time I’ve bought a new one and returned the old one. 🙄

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’d be ringing customer services and demanding free postage or the new one for a tenner, believe me you won’t be the first.

letmetalktomark

I had exactly the same.

I purchased a 1 1/8” KCNC bung from XC Racer and when it didn’t fit contacted OO. They sent me the one linked to above FOC as good will for needing to send the KCNC one back.

I simply removed the sleeve and bobs ya uncle.

Seems many of the forks have an ID on the steerer much closer to a 1” fork 😡

martinhutch

The bottom of the steerer is also a bit of a PITA, as it is slightly wider and I had to ‘adapt’ the crown race to get it to sit snugly.

I’m not sure you could get the bung to fit just by removing the sleeve – I couldn’t even get the bottom section in without filing it extensively.

I just assumed it was dismal quality control at whoever makes their forks. They need to sort out their web-linking so that we don’t all blindly follow each other via the ‘customers also bought’ link. We all bought the wrong bloody bit!

From the ‘wrong’ bung page:

Use this instead of a star fangled nut on all 1 1/8 inch carbon forks

Except the one you’ve just been looking at. Eejits.

otsdr
    Free Member

As mentioned above, there’s no sleeve to remove (without losing the expansion capability) on the “wrong” expander; the bottom cone-nut thing doesn’t even fit through the steerer.

The same expander can be bought in different sizes on bike-components, the one on their site is 23mm thick and doesn’t fit their own (MTB monocoque tapered) fork; they didn’t even answer my email afterwards.

Ended up buying another one from r2-bike ( http://r2-bike.com/CARBON-TI-Expander-X-Plug-14g_1 ) – nice bit of kit, way lighter too 🙂 .

Didn’t have any issues with the crown race, though – the split race of the Hope headset tightens itself around the steerer when pressed against the conical bearing race.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘On One carbon fork bung way too big to fit in steerer – alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.