Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • On One Carbon 456 seat tube restriction.
  • dantsw13

Ive just received my Carbon 456 frame, and Im starting to put it together. As I put the seatpost into the seat tube, I noticed a restriction in the tube about 6 inches down, where the front mech cable guide is fixed to the tube.

Is this normal, or a manufacturing issue? Not being able to drop the saddle on an all mountain bike is a bit of an issue!!

wwaswas

Give o-o a ring and see if they’re all like that?

Don;t remember having that problem on mine with a longish post but I’m not a saddle dropper.

lucien

There’s a 400mm post in mine and on occassion it’s pushed all the way in (ooooer) 😯 – no problems my end

shindiggy
    Free Member

No problems with mine with 410mm seatpost, can drop it all the way down if need be. Is your front mech already on? Done it up to tight?

wwaswas

I think the cable guides are rivetted on – sounds like one didn’t quite do up right?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

shine a torch down and see if you can see any thing that its hitting.

im with wwaswas, i think the riveting did not go to well!

teasel
    Free Member

My friend had exactly the same issue but sadly scratched his rather expensive carbon post whilst discovering this.

The rivet sticks out too far and interferes with the fit. Solved by using a long round file gently applied down the seat tube to remove the bulk of the material. I finished it off with a strip of fine emery wrapped around a length of dowelling.

Bad show, though…

granny_ring

Think I would want them to exchange the frame, hope it works out for you.

dantsw13

Yes, there is definately a little something sticking out at that point. They have also sent me horizontal dropouts instead of vertical.

Email outbound!!

daveh
    Free Member

The rivet sticks out too far and interferes with the fit. Solved by using a long round file gently applied down the seat tube to remove the bulk of the material. I finished it off with a strip of fine emery wrapped around a length of dowelling.
    Bad show, though…

+1. Was it raw finish? Perhaps that’s what they mean as visually there’s no difference between raw and satin!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

You could try phoning On One and asking them. I’ve found them to be very helpful in the past.

dantsw13

It was the special edition black finish.

I have emailed, and will follow up tomorrow with a phonecall.

Frame looks delicious and is so light!! It’s my first carbon frame, and I’m almost scared to touch it!!

mattbilliard
    Free Member

I have the same issue on mine as well.

What build are you doing? Avoid 2×10 as the outer ring will rub on the frame

br
    Free Member

What build are you doing? Avoid 2×10 as the outer ring will rub on the frame

Put a spacer in.

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Put a spacer in.

If you mean to increase the BB shell width, I already have and can’t really increase anymore.

james
    Free Member

“Put a spacer in.”

Where?
    On the chainring and your chainring gap wont be right for shifting?
    an extra spacer on the BB shell and you’ll not have enough axle showing for the LH crank arm?

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Thats what I thought. Thats why I’m going 3×10

teasel
    Free Member

Was it raw finish? Perhaps that’s what they mean…

🙂

Very probable!

Avoid 2×10 as the outer ring will rub on the frame

I fitted an XT (M785) groupset at the weekend with a 40/28 and although it was quite close there appeared to be enough clearance. Are you suggesting there’s enough flex in the stays to close that 3mm gap and allow it to rub?

Both the bike owner and myself had a quick blast to check shifting after the build but didn’t ride it in anger so I’m genuinely curious as to the issues you’ve had.

dantsw13

I think the suggested issue is chainsuck damage to the carbon.

I have double heli-taped that region just as a bit of sacrificial protection. If it gets trashed I can replace it, but hopefully the chainstays will be in one piece.

andyl
    Free Member

helitape won’t protect against chainsuck damage if it happens.

deserter
    Free Member

What happened in the end with the seatpost restriction?

Just recieved mine in Canada and its the same and sending it back might be a bit drawn out especially if they are all the same

deserter
    Free Member

showed my arse whist drunk last night and filed it

matt500
    Free Member

No issue with mine, also no issue with chainrings using a 1×10 setup.

dantsw13

Wrt the seat tube restriction, under advice from on one, I filed it down.

As for the heli tape on the chainstay, I snapped a chain last week, and it all sucked up badly – 2 layers of heli tape trashed, chainstay – not a mark ;-))

carbon337
    Free Member

1×10 here – why would you use anything else?

dantsw13

Because I’m a soft southerner who needs a granny ring.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘On One Carbon 456 seat tube restriction.’ is closed to new replies.