Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • On One C456 Weight
  • tallie
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at getting a C456, partly to singlespeed over winter but mostly because N plus 1. Initially I was looking at just a frame and building up from the spares bin / swapping components over but the Deore full build is pretty good value, would allow me to keep my old steel hard tail as a child trailer tractor and I can sell the bits I don’t require.

Anyway enough self justification – whilst looking at the Deore build I glanced across at the XT build (just for comparison you understand…) and saw that it comes in nearly a Kg (920g to be precise) heavier than the Deore build. The XT build comes with a Reverb (roughly 200g heavier than the seat post fitted to the Deore build) but everything else is the same or lighter.

Have I missed something obvious? Can anyone see where the extra weight comes from?

Links here:
    XT C456
    Deore C456

faustus

Deore one has a Sektor fork, XT has Pike, not sure of the weight differences there. They probably just weighed a small Deore and a large XT one…

tallie
    Free Member

That was my first thought but the pike’s 200ish g lighter…

Small v large may be the most likely explanation just wondered if I’d missed something obvious.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Both weights are just made up numbers

ampthill

I like the way that the may tyre size on the XT is 700x32c (35c slick tyres will also fit)

andybanks
    Free Member

Cheeky plug for my c456 frame that’s for sale. Open to offers to clear some garage space, so could get a decent bargain to make it cheaper to spec your own.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-c456-frame-18

tallie
    Free Member

Thanks Andy – it was a C456 frame for sale in the classifieds that started the thought process but after a bit of research the full Deore build works out cheaper if I’m not going to cannibalise my hardtail.

njee20
    Free Member

All things being equal, a Small -> Large won’t be >1kg. It’s a bit of extra carbon in the frame, a longer steerer, plus longer hoses and cables… The frame is 1500g (imagine that’s a small), a large is hardly going to be 2500g is it!?

Size doesn’t make anything like the difference people think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You have not been on mumsnet then

tallie
    Free Member

It’s 1.41Kg for an 18″ which is effectively a medium.

Northwind

They’ve weighed one with my scales and one with my mate Malcolm’s magic scales that take 10% off any build

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘On One C456 Weight’ is closed to new replies.