Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • On-One 45650B with 26" (for now)
  • gweb
    Free Member

I have a box full of parts that would just about make up another bike, but I am short a frame. I don’t want to spend a fortune, and would snap up a 456 evo2 frame if it had a 44mm head tube (the fork I have for the build has a tapered steerer), but it doesn’t.

Next the On-One 45650B Frame caught my eye, it has a 44mm head tube and the only difference in the geometry between it and the 456 evo2 is an additional 5mm in the chain stays. It would also be nice to have the flexibility to perhaps switch to 650B parts down the line. So is there anything to stop me running my existing 26″ fork, wheels etc. in a 45650B Frame, or will that 5mm, or something else I haven’t thought of, mess up the handling completely?

Any thoughts, one way or the other? Thanks.

faustus

It’ll probably work fine, but the BB will be a bit lower than intended…depending on what fork you use, the head angle might be increased a tad. I think on-one might have to consider 44mm headtubes on their next batch of inbreds (29er and 26er).

argyle
    Free Member

you’ll die/not die

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BB will be ~1″ lower, which may/may not be a bad thing, 456 BB’s aren’t that low so 1″ lower is low, but not ridiculously.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1″? – more like 1/2″ shirley?

if you ride in a rocky area, you might notice a few more crank-strikes.

gweb
    Free Member

How will the BB be that much lower than on a 456 evo2? It’ll be an inch lower than using 650B wheels sure, but it seems that it should be the same height (within a couple of mm due to the longer chain stays) as on a 456 evo2 frame, as every other measurement is exactly the same as on the 456 evo2. Or am I missing something?

Basically it seems to me that the 45650B with 650 wheels will have a 1″ higher BB than a 456 evo2 with 26″ wheels?

ahwiles
    Free Member

gweb – Member

…It’ll be an inch lower than using 650B wheels sure…

half an inch.

plyphon
    Free Member

shirley?

plyphon
    Free Member

half an inch.

yeah but there’s two wheels so that’s 2 x 1/2 = 1 inch basic math bro

gweb
    Free Member

That’s the type of rigorous scientific reasoning I came here for…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That’s the type of rigorous scientific reasoning I came here for…

Troll right?

gweb
    Free Member

Anyway, am I on the wrong track thinking that the 45650B with 26″ wheels will very nearly have the same BB height as a 456evo2?

45650B geo is on the left, 456 evo2 on the right:

wwaswas

I’m going for 3/4″ as being the difference.

Although, it does depend on tyres as much as rim, really.

faustus

You’re on the right track, and if you put some fat tyres on the difference will be small. A plus point might be that you get a smidge more tyre clearance because the tyre will sit a little closer to the axle than intented…again only a tiny difference in reality.

core

Everyone’s been saying for months that 26″ and 650b are so close together the difference is negligible, so on that basis, I’d go fo it and not worry too much for now, and, if/when 26″ parts become scarcer, you can go 650b.

gweb
    Free Member

Looks like there is not really a downside to getting the 45650B then, better break out the credit card.

miketually
    Free Member

When Brant was designing for Ragley, Ed Oxley had a frame that he switched around between 26″ wheels with big tyres and 650b wheels with narrower tyres. I’m sure it’d be fine.

cookeaa

Got an adjustable travel fork? choc it up ~10mm and you’ll be golden.

Interesting idea, given it’s only an extra 5mm in the CS and there’s still a fair bit of room on my old 456 with 26″x2.3″ tyres, would that not suggest a regular 456 could accommodate a 650b rear wheel with say a ~2.1″ tyre? not that I want to, its a pointless waste of time, but sort of illustrates the rather minimal difference dunnit?

core

I’d have to agree with that logic ^

miketually
    Free Member

Interesting idea, given it’s only an extra 5mm in the CS and there’s still a fair bit of room on my old 456 with 26″x2.3″ tyres, would that not suggest a regular 456 could accommodate a 650b rear wheel with say a ~2.1″ tyre? not that I want to, its a pointless waste of time, but sort of illustrates the rather minimal difference dunnit?

My 26″ Inbred has oodles of clearance even with 2.4″ tyres. I recon I could easily get a 650b wheel in there with reasonably sized tyre, but why would I bother when I can have the same diameter wheel with more tyre? 🙂

maxtorque

No idea, but can Brant please makes some 142×12 drop outs (drop throughs?) for the c456 please!

Northwind

Just write 650b on the side of the tyres in ridiculously massive text, nobody will ever know the difference. Including you most likely 😉

maxtorque

^^^^^ You should get some stickers or screen prints made up as a 26/650b “conversion kit”. Bet you could sell a few on Ebay!

cookeaa

My 26″ Inbred has oodles of clearance even with 2.4″ tyres. I recon I could easily get a 650b wheel in there with reasonably sized tyre, but why would I bother when I can have the same diameter wheel with more tyre?

Is that not basically not what I said?

I remember riding my old trailstar on 24″ wheels, that was a 26″ frame actually sitting an Inch lower than intended and nobody died or anything!

Anyway maybe they could just rationalize it back to one model called “45650b/559/orwhateverwheelsareinfashionthisweek” and have done with it…

Its all part of the grand conspiracy to get us riding slightly different wheels… Its those Bastard Space Lizards I tells you!!!

miketually
    Free Member

Is that not basically not what I said?

Yes, I was agreeing with you 🙂

I remember riding my old trailstar on 24″ wheels, that was a 26″ frame actually sitting an Inch lower than intended and nobody died or anything!

My Inbred rides brilliantly with 29″ wheel in the 420mm forks.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well did you do it (45650B with 26″) ? CC turning around in the fingers.

bobons
    Free Member

Hi all, i am also looking forward buildig up the 45650B with 26″ wheels, just because of the 44 mm-headtube. I hope the raw version comes out soon.

Anyway, am I on the wrong track thinking that the 45650B with 26″ wheels will very nearly have the same BB height as a 456evo2?

No, not really, except you have 2 setup possibilities for the 45650B: One with external lower cup (EC44/38.1 for tapered shafts), in which case the geometry will be exactly the same as the 456 Evo2 with its EC34-Headset.
    But, if you use a regular 1 1/8″-fork (same travel as before, of course) with an internal headset (ZS44/28.6 cups), you will save about 10 mm on the front and sacrifice BB height as about 0.5° on the head angle.
    Therefore, i think we could also use a 160 mm fork with an internal headset instead of a 150 mm fork with an external HS.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘On-One 45650B with 26" (for now)’ is closed to new replies.