Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • On-one 456 Vs Specialized Pitch Sizing (and industry standards rant)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have a 456, I want a Pitch. The On-one is an 18″ which is a large.

Years ago I demo’d an enduro (the one the pitch was based around) and the large felt like a barge, fast, but it felt like my feet/arse were in a different time zone to my hands.

I took a medium for a spin around the car park and it felt better. But the suspension was better set up on that one (the large had pretty much locked out, presumably because the internals were dry from repeated jet washing). That and possibly the large has a 90mm stem, I’d probably wack my current 60mm on there, which would bring it back a bit…….

Now at the time I was riding a bike that I’ll admit was a size too small, the current 456 is significantly longer and feels all the better for it. Will I now appreciate the larger size?

Question is, which size pitch? I would go to an LBS and try one but I’ve found them 20% cheaper on-line this weekend and they wont price match. Looking at the top tube length the medium and large pitch sit half an inch either side of the large 456. But looking at the supposedly more consistent ‘reach’ measurement (horizontal from BB to top of HT) the small pitch is still larger than the large 456, which can’t be right as on-ones were always ‘long’ for a given size?

Garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Anyone ride around on a 18″ 456 and also got a pitch? If so, 17″ or 19″?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This is why you have a shop – want internet prices accept internet service – want to try one out and get it set up for you – pay shop prices

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

LBS would neither price match or have one in stock, in their words, we can’t order a large to try as we can’t send them back once its out of the box and built, so we only order in mediums in anything other than XC bikes.

Which pretty much gives internet service, a £400 markup and would probably take longer than just getting the CC out on-line.

alcolepone
    Free Member

i have a 456 and a enduro. the 456 is 20″ and the enduro is a large. The enduro feels larger, but is much more bike than the 456, the total lengh of the enduro is much longer than the 456, which also helps make the bike feel big. but both feel correct, I’m 6,3.

not sure if that helps.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmmm, not really!

On the other hand the site seems to have just sold its last large (pitches 20% off, probably too good to be true and wont hang arround long)

I generaly spend most of my time wishing the 456 was half an inch shorter anyway, but then the extra wheelbase would probably be an advantage if the FS is faster, grrrrrrr, I hate having to make decisions.

andy7t2
    Free Member

buy a medium, ridden large enduro (06) for a couple of years and like you say it’s massive difficult on tight corners and i felt lost on it, when it got stolen got the medium (09), it’s about 1/2 inch short in the leg but much better ride and feel much more in control, i also ride a large 456 20 inch, i’m 6ft 1 and inside leg of 33inches hope this helps

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough then TINAS

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You could always use distance selling regs to your advantage as you have the right to return it for no reason and get your money back – you have to pay postage tho. ~always felt a bit unethical to me but thats what teh rules say

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just hit buy and paid for it 🙂

Figured that I ride an 18″ 456 and I’m at the upper end of the on-one size guide but ride the shortest stem recommended. And I’m at the upper end of the pitch sizing but it comes with the same length stem, and on holiday there were one or two times I was wishing for half an inch less to get my arse back. So whilst it’ll not be quite as long legged as my XC bike it’ll be ace for what it’s intended for 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

grrrrrrr, it’s ‘pending’ and i have to phone them to complete the order 🙁

Why did they have to close 30 min agp!

robgarrioch

A previous similar thread…

I’m 6′, long-ish (34″) leg, short-ish torso, and have a Large ’09 pitch. I think I’m just big enough for it. A ‘M’ may have been better for gravity aided trail centre stuff, but I’ve happily spent all day on it through some fairly testing up / down terrain & had no posture-type problems. Can’t compare to a 456 though, soz.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I also ride those silly wide flat bars which make everything feel longer.

Impatient now, this’ll be my first completely new bike since 2002!

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve gone for a small pitch and i ride mediums normally at 5’10, the longer than average top tube of a medium frame would’ve given it more stability at speed but felt a bit barge like on the techy,twisty fun stuff imo.

Duffer
    Free Member

It’s a bit late, now:

I’m 5’11” ish, and I ride an 18″ 456 and a medium Pitch. The Pitch is a touch shorter, which i feel is in keeping with it’s “Rad to the max gnar” bias. I have a friend with a Large Enduro, and it’s quite significantly bigger. Not too big, i’d suggest, but much bigger then the Medium.

So in conclusion, if it’s an only bike, and will be used for general XC duties, then i’d go up a size. If it’s a second bike for trail centers etc, then i’d get the medium (this is what i did)

Enjoy! You’ll have a pretty comprehensive stable, and they compliment each other nicely!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pretty comprehensive stable

18″ 456 (with 130mm qr menja’s for local loops and z1 RC2’s 150mm 20mm for fun)
    18″ sanderson life with a 110mm stem and rigid forks, singlespeed
    Road bike
    Fixie
    Tourer
    BMX
    + many bikes in bits!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘On-one 456 Vs Specialized Pitch Sizing (and industry standards rant)’ is closed to new replies.