Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • on one 456 Ti v's Steel
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As my other thread is lost in the ether somewhere, I’ll have to start a new one…

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth spending an extra 600 odd quid to get a ti one?

Who had the pink frame they were trying to get shot of?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Entirely subjective, if you want and can afford ti then it’s probably worth it.

cinnamon_girl

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth spending an extra 600 odd quid to get a ti one?

Hmmm, an interesting one. Bearing in mind your sizing conundrum, have you considered others, ie Soda, Pipedream Sirius, Genesis etc.?

I made my decision based on wanting a bike for life and mine has not disappointed.

As an example, I did a 33 mile undulating XC route both on the Ti and on the steel Soul. Trail conditions were identical. Ti had 100mm travel and the Soul 120mm. Wheels, tyres, brakes, riser bar, stem, groupset, cranks, pedals, saddle were identical. Seatposts were different – the Ti had a Ti one and the Soul had a Thomson.

Conclusion – I felt less beat up on the Ti. That bike loves long rides, admittedly it’s not brilliant for all trails due to its light build.

You really do need to try both. 🙂

ryan_c

It was me with the pink frame just email me if you want pics, addy in profile
    ryan

chaser
    Free Member

Hi Guys,
    I’ve had the steel and Ti [older Lynskey version] 456.
    The Ti version is a lot better at smoothing the trail and much less choppy.
    I guess tha’s the difference with Ti.
    Everything else feels the same geometry wise.
    Cheers,
    Chaser

wwaswas

only an extra £450 at the mo, what with the sale and all.

http://brightonmtb.org/2010/11/22/on-one-456-steel-ti-review/

mine’s the pink one in this article.

I think, given the differences in setup (particularly the high front end and, frankly for me, rubbish front tyre the Ti had) it wasn’t easy to do a direct comparison but I would say over a longer ride the Ti would leave you less ‘beat up’ – and build into a lighter bike as well.

Having said that, I’ve just bought a carbon 456 to replace the steel one…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well I only hope that the medium is the right size for me 😀

wwaswas

I’m sure you could get a test ride on a medium 456 from someone near you?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I could, but I might have just knee jerk ordered one because of the sale! 😯

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh! Ti or steel? What size have you gone for?

See … giving up smoking IS worth it. 8)

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I’ve got one (a Ti 456 140mm forks) and a white original inbred and had two summer seasons. To be honest as much as I love the ti I think I prefer the original inbred with 100mm forks on. The steel seems to be more compliant than the ti however the ti does pick up really well. Looks really nice too!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

16″ in Ti C_G! The discount was too good to turn down… especially when I saw they’d sold 2 out of 3 since yesterday!! 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Ti ones look good because they have a fancy head tube and swappable dropouts.

How tall are you? I reckon a 456 should be used with a short stem

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

5’10” – going to swap all the bits of a meta5 I’ve got so it’ll get a 70mm stem to start with,

cinnamon_girl

Awesome TSY. 😀

Now … what bike for the TP? 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Lol… I could do it on the 456.. or… I could try and get a mojo HD or a whyte 146…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘on one 456 Ti v's Steel’ is closed to new replies.