Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • On One 456 Ti bites the dust, anyone know the geometry to compare with new frame
  • flyingfox
    Free Member

Up until tonight I had an On One 456 Ti (Lynskey). It broke at the weld on the brake mount.

I ride a lot but I’m hardly brutal – the only frame I’ve broken before was a Gary Fisher Big Sur and the guy I bought it from was surprised it had lasted as long as it did (!).

Anyhow, I’m pretty unhappy as my wife bought it me for my wedding present so need to replace asap. It would be nice to replace it with a bike brand that we actually do so was thinking Whyte or Cove Hummer. Does anyone know the geometry of the Lynskey On One 456 Ti? I want to compare and contrast as I really like the top tube length on the On One.

Thanks for listening to my inane rubbish and for potentially helping out.

turboferret

Sorry to hear about the breakage.

Have you considered getting it repaired instead?

Certainly cheaper than replacing, and you’d still have your wedding present.

Several Wi welding places around, I had a disc tab welded on my last Ti frame, although I can’t remember who did it for me, I’m sure the STW massive will be able to suggest someone.

Don’t have any information to actually answer your question though I’m afraid.

Cheers, Rich

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d have thought you could get it repaired under warranty.

Or give it to me and I can make it good again with some carbon.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Have you contacted On One, can they not be of any assistance with a replacement frame or repair?
    EDIT: I’m too slow, it’s early.

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

Lynskey frames really aren’t very good.

Mugboo

Ti Frames, not just for Xmas, for life!

Oh no, thats dogs..

CHB

Lifetime warranty. Lynskey ans on one are both very good at sorting these problems. Will not be quick though!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I love the feel of titanium frames; I’m dissapointed by the lack of choice of manufacturers. Most Ti frames seem to be Lynskey. I’ve broken 3 Lynskey frames, and I won’t get another.

From the brands you list above I’d have thought the Hummer would be the best bet as it’s Litespeed again these days. Unless that’s changed again.

Or try a new 456 Ti. Van Nicholas have a better record of sticking tubes together than Lynskey and the geometry will be as you like it.

br
    Free Member

I’ve also a 456Ti and when I broke it (crash) On One arranged with Lynskey to have it repaired.

Based on how long it took, for what you’ve got I’d probably go ‘local’:

http://www.ceeway.com/custom_uk_bicycle_framebuilders.htm

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It seems a number of the first version ti456’s broke around the brake mount. The later versions had a brake brace

here’s one here with a brake brace

here’s a broken one

A number have been fixed by On One / Lynskey so get it repaired rather than replace.

Your’s will come back with a brake brace I’m guessing. Not as pretty for sure but stronger.

I’ve not managed to brake mine yet (brake brace version)

wwaswas

as above – get the Ti bike repaired under warranty (assuming you’re the first owner – if not get it repaired anyway – Enigma may do this).

If you can’t wait then get a steel 456 frame and transfer the bits across to ride while the Ti frame is away.

heihei

When I asked On-One about the geometry of the older Lynskey Ti 456 they told me it wa the same as the current one. I don’t quite believe it as I don’t remember them being as slack as current nos suggest.

As an alternative, the Ragleys ride very well – back to back vs the On One, they climb better due to steeper seat tube angle but other than that pretty similar. Otherwise, a Brodie Holeshot, or Kingdom Foia?

StirlingCrispin

Van Nicholas have a better record of sticking tubes together than Lynskey

Ha ha ha ha.
    Don’t do that Pete.

Beware of buying another Ti frame without a test ride as they all ride differently and have different sproing factors. Personally, I’d say that a steel Whyte 19 is the perfect bike for you. Or push the boat out and get a custom-built Curtis.

wwaswas

sproing factor

I have no idea what this is but there ought to be a sproing scale that bikes can be measured against;

1 – no sproing at all – scaffold pole.
    10 – bends like a steel rule on the edge of a desk goes ‘sproinggggggg’ when released from tension.

takisawa2

We deal with a Ti welder in B’ham, if you want to get it repaired.

richc
    Free Member

As an alternative, the Ragleys ride very well – back to back vs the On One

Aren’t Ragley’s made by Lynksky? as Brant started the Lynskey/On-One thing just before he started the Ragley/Nukeproof thing.

Sanny
    Free Member

It’s amazing how the pic of Luke’s snapped rear end always makes an appearance!

As for Cove, they are now built by Lynskey too. I have a Hummer (well, sort of) – currently languishing with Silverfish since January as neither ABG (Litespeed) nor Cove seem to be able to agree who will pay for the warranty repair. ABG offer a two year warranty, Cove a 5 year warranty – the frame was just over two years old when it failedwith a cracked gusset and aluminium headset insert which popped out the frame. Silverfish (who I cannot fault in any way), like me, are caught in the middle between two suppliers who can’t come to an agreement. Would I buy another bike from Cove or Litespeed? Now there is a question. If things continue as they are with no resolution, my only option is to raise a small claims action against Leisure Lakes. This seems barmy to me as it’s not their fault but that’s the only legal recourse I may ultimately have.

Sanny

si-wilson
    Free Member

Brodie Ti Holeshot! Similar angles to the 456.

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/brodie_titanium_holeshot/

flyingfox
    Free Member

Si – you’re a special salesman but I have a shop so there’s got to be some advantage to this! The Cove rep was just in so checking prices on a Hummer. However, I’m superpoor so will just see what On One says when they get back to me…

Thanks for all the posts guys, looks like it’s perhaps not the end of the world after all!

flyingfox
    Free Member

Forgot to say – my pic looks pretty similar but I don’t know how to grab and put on here – it’s on our page at the top:

http://www.facebook.com/FlyingFoxBikes

br
    Free Member

When I asked On-One about the geometry of the older Lynskey Ti 456 they told me it wa the same as the current one. I don’t quite believe it as I don’t remember them being as slack as current nos suggest

I’ve the braced Lynskey and found that while the angles were (allegely) the same as the steel 456 there was a difference; when I transfered the components across the seat angle was different.

chewkw
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member

I love the feel of titanium frames; I’m dissapointed by the lack of choice of manufacturers. Most Ti frames seem to be Lynskey. I’ve broken 3 Lynskey frames, and I won’t get another.

From the brands you list above I’d have thought the Hummer would be the best bet as it’s Litespeed again these days. Unless that’s changed again.

Or try a new 456 Ti. Van Nicholas have a better record of sticking tubes together than Lynskey and the geometry will be as you like it.

How about Dekerf Implant Ti? See if you can break it.

Dekerf Website

si-wilson
    Free Member

The Cove rep was just in so checking prices on a Hummer

I bet the Hummer is still more expensive than the Holeshot 🙂 mail me if you DO fancy one 😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Van Nicholas have a better record of sticking tubes together than Lynskey

Ha ha ha ha.
    Don’t do that Pete

Who the frick is Pete?

VN has a better rep in my experience, and they replace frames that have problems rather than botch new tubes on.

That Dekerf is a real Ned Kelly of a frame. Si’s Holeshot is at least pretty.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You should see chewkw’s shoes, ite xplains a lot 😐

ScottChegg
    Free Member

And who makes the Brodie? Is it a secret?

flyingfox
    Free Member

Like I say Si, you are a real salesman! If I have to get a different bike, it’ll be one I stock this time…!

StirlingCrispin

VN has a better rep in my experience

No they don’t – they just change their name to avoid warranty claims.
    Or was that Airborne?

Who the frick is Pete?

Pete knows who he is.

wwaswas

Or was that Airborne?

they went bust int he states and the European operation carried on with a different name (Van Nic) I think?

StirlingCrispin

the European operation carried on with a different name (Van Nic)

And Van Nic refused to honour Airborne warranties despite claiming on their website that they would.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Not good Crispin. I know I’ve got a vested interest in saying this but I would only buy a bike from a shop. I spent much of my day calling the company the frame was bought from to no avail. Obviously I had no choice in the case of this frame plus there were no decent shops on my doorstep before but my time is pretty precious.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Northwind

heihei – Member

When I asked On-One about the geometry of the older Lynskey Ti 456 they told me it wa the same as the current one. I don’t quite believe it as I don’t remember them being as slack as current nos suggest.

Same seems to be true of the standard 456 as well, though I’m not 100% on that.

oldfart

IMHO the Holeshot welds don’t look as neat as on my 05 Hummer (Litespeed)

chewkw
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

You should see chewkw’s shoes, it explains a lot

But the Implant or Ti Implant is bombproof.

bobster
    Free Member

Hummer – was the best riding bike I’d owned, til it broke, as did it’s replacement. And I wasn’t the only one that happened to, and we don’t ride hard as a group.

Take that as you want, but it’s there for your info.

Ride a Cotic Soul now which is even better!

flyingfox
    Free Member

Well, it’s supposed to be getting fixed so I’ve backed off from my need to spend money I don’t have at the moment. I still haven’t heard anything from that department though so I’m starting to get a little annoyed. Still hoping….

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 Ti bites the dust, anyone know the geometry to compare with new frame’ is closed to new replies.