Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • On One 456 or Whippet as a trail singlespeed?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Once I’ve got my full susser out the way, I’d like to transfer a lot of gubbins from my voodoo wanga singespeed onto an On One carbon whippet frame. Since I started properly mountain biking a few years ago, always had a bit of a soft spot for them – not sure why, logic and reason aside.
    (I even rather like the whippet decal even though a lot of people think it looks rather equine!)

I’d like to have the swap-out dropouts to allow me to run between a singelspeed setup (34-16/18) and 1×10 setup for much longer (hillier) days.

I’m no professional weight weenie, but would like to keep the weight down so didn’t really consider any other frame, however looking at the weight of the carbon 456 or the new carbon 456evo (1.5 and 1.4kg respectively) compared with the whippet’s svelte 1.3kg, there’s not much in it.

So, my question is, is it worth getting the carbon 456 instead of the whippet for all out strength/option choices (it’ll take a tapered fork, 100-160mm fork, isg mounts (although probably wouldn’t use them) etc etc. Would the 456 be a bit stronger and burlier than the whippet?

For info, the bike would mainly be used on trail centre singletrack style rather than bigger hitting off piste stuff etc (I’ll use the full susser for that!)

Thoughts?

Garry_Lager

Have you ridden the whippet? Imagine the geometry is quite different to a 456. I have a whippet as my main ride and like it a lot – it’s quite an xc, forward position, though. Feels great climbing, but can accentuate one’s limitations on difficult descents.

The 456 must be a more versatile frame, although it’s ugly as a bagful of arseholes. The whippet OTOH is a decent looking bike (IMO), really smart looking from certain angles.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Have both. Struggling to like the whippet. Loving the 456. In fact I have ridden that more than the rest of the fleet in the last 4 months. I cant get the whippet to climb well, descend comfortably or just feel like its wanting to fly on the trails. C456 just rips the lots, climbs great ( 2lb heavier than the whippet !) its just great.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden either unfortunately. Basing it all on net searches, websites etc (which I know is extremely limiting!)

although it’s ugly as a bagful of arseholes. The whippet OTOH is a decent looking bike (IMO), really smart looking from certain angles.

I didn’t mind the look of the old 456 but the new one (although I’m sure has been designed like that for good reasons) just doesn’t get on with me as much. (Sorry Brant!)
    The whippet I really wanted was the black/white ones, but for the sake of the difference, I’d be tempted to get a new one while they’re still there and have the warranty with it.

I’m actually unsure of the geometry of what I’m riding at the minute as it’s somewhat bastardised from what it was meant to be (and the web says conflicting things about the steel wanga measurements) so it’s difficult to even compare the measurements on paper to what I’m riding at the min.

Considering it’s going to have a 120mm reba SL on it rather than the longer travel forks, I’m guessing that’ll help keep the weight down a little, I can’t imagine a like for like setup between the two bikes would have much weight between them..?

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Just going back to this a little… if I wanted something that’s a little more true XC, is the whippet just going to be the better call overall? Might sound a bit daft but I don’t think I’ve ridden a true XC bike (more just rail/AM etc) and not sure how much of a difference the super steep geometry will make. It’d be to ride quick on the odd event/xc sportive, maybe even amateur race (gutted I missed the run&ride race at cannock last month).

Thinking about it… and as much as I like the idea of having a trial hardtail, chances are I’m going to be my full susser once I actually get it at the end of the month.

Side-quetsion, using a 34t chainring, would I get enough of a gear ratio running a 1×10 setup to keep a decent speed up. When I’m pointing it down a hill the thing which is keeping my speed down is ability rather than running out of gears. Thoughts?

amedias
    Free Member

I can’t really offer a huge amount of advice having only briefly ridden a C456 and never a whippet, but you should definitely make sure this comment is not read over your shoulder by a passer by and interpreted out of context!

and the web says conflicting things about the steel wanga measurements so it’s difficult to even compare the measurements on paper to what I’m riding at the min

andyl
    Free Member

I’d just go for the C456. run it at 100mm with a longer stem if you want XC or shorter stem, wider bars and longer forks if you want to go more aggressive.

Not much weight in it and more versatile.

Or I would consider a 29er. I have a C456 with all my best bits on and a cheap Scandal 29er built with spares and 2nd hand parts and no dropper and I absolutely love it and can cover ground a lot faster. Okay, it’s not so much fun to chuck around but if I was going to be racing then it would have to be the scandal.

wwaswas

I had a c456 with 130mm forks I ran as a singlespeed, I quite liked it. My usual butterfly appraoch to bike ownership meant it moved on, though.

Kryton57

Buy something similar that could be both SS and geared…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-kinesis-decade-versa-green-18-very-versatile-26er

Happy to accept a decent offer.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Buy something similar that could be both SS and geared…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-kinesis-decade-versa-green-18-very-versatile-26er

Already running a nice metal frame as my do-all but want something to be a bit of a weight weenie with and spring about on but cheers for the heads up.

I was kinda hoping someone would just leap in and say the whippet is a fantastic XC machine and will be clearly the best choice… but I’m seeing a pattern occurring here. Looks like the carbon 456 has it so far. Now the question is to buy new for £300 or take the risk without a warranty second hand. Anyone had any problems with the frames?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got both, not put the whippet together yet unfortunately. Love my C456 tho, it’s the only bike I ride these days (apart from commuting). both frames weigh 1500gms despite the claims (mine and a number of others have said, whippet frame is nearer 1500gms than 1300gms). personally I’d probably go with a C456, just cos I’m not convinced with press fit BB on the whippet and the headset design looks like it won’t last more than a few muddy rides.

tops5
    Free Member

Ive got a C456 – ran it 1×9 with dropper post and dual position revs would take it anywhere I ride my full suss.

Currently singlespeed/fixed post (coz my gears/dropper broke) Really enjoying it for local rides. Nice and light but still loads of fun

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 or Whippet as a trail singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.