Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • On one 456 or Inbred?
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

Within the next month or so i’m planning on building up a new hardtail, I have been looking at the One on 456 or the inbred, mainly after something of an xc/ am kind of side which will climb well (Have a lightish build in mind) as i have a downhill bike and a road bike for other uses.
    Hoping to run 100-150mm ish forks on it, at least 100mm is a must

I was after opinions on either of the bikes/frames and comparisons between the 2 if anyone has any experience with either?

Also happy for other suggestions for similar frames/ use.

cheers

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

The 456 works well with a 140/150 fork. Think the older inbred was designed around 100 120mm
    Being a fairly non exotic steel they don’t come in particularly light but lots of fun.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I run an Inbred with For 130RL forks. Best of both worlds.

paladin

I had 100mm on my 456 initially, was good climbing but wasn’t impressed descending. Now got 95-140 pikes and love it, although it stays at 140 most of the time unless I’ve got a long climb.
    Built up at 13.5kg

cp

456 would be my choice based on what you’re saying. I have inbred, steel 456 and carbon 456.

Fave is the carbon 456, it rides really nicely compared with the steel one which feels a bit bendy and dead. Carbon feels responsive and light.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve had both. There isn’t much difference in the ride between the two. It will be more determined by how it is built up.

Unless you really want long forks and untend a burly build then go for the inbred. It is slightly lighter. With 120mm rebas on mine it has never felt lacking at glentress, in the lakes, on the moors or hacking through the mud on local singletrack.

Having said all that if you want xc then neither are an abvious choice. What about the Parkwood or one of the carbon offerings? Lighter and just as capable. The carbon 456 looks very nice and is cheap/strong and light. It will run well with 120mm. The parkwood is superb. My latest bike from on-one. I was sceptical about 29ers but they really are better as mile munching all rounders.

faustus

I have a fairly recent inbred, and it is good, tough and fun. But I think the geometry of the 456 evo is better: my inbred has a rather high BB. As jonba says, for a decent all-rounder I would go for a carbon 456 or Parkwood – both have good up-to-date geometry. I rode one recently and it was really nice and capable too.

alpineharry
    Free Member

or alternatives to the 456/ inbred?, any recomendations for other steel frames?

endurokid
    Free Member

I used to ride a steel 456 but I’ve now picked up a nice carbon 456 to use during winter. I’m actually surprised how well it rides as I always thought C456’s were really harsh, I’m really plesaed with it so far and will be even better when I plug in some 36’s!!

Currently it weighs in about 23lbs, but think it’ll tip 25 when I fit the 36’s.

asbrooks

I ride an original size 18 inbred, it’s the only bike I have. I like it and have no idea what the newer geometry frames ride like.
    To be honest, if I was looking to change it out, I’d look for something with a slightly longer top tube. Only because I’d like to shift my seat forward to aid climbing. Doing so on the inbred makes the cockpit feel a little cramped. I’m too short for the Large frame.

alpineharry
    Free Member

what’re they like in terms of size? I’m roughly 5’10” but was looking at a 16″, should i go for an 18″ or a 16″?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Had several of both and currently riding the latest 456 – the Evo 2 as my only mountain bike. It’s a stormingly good bike and has a great feel about it; confident, fun, handles well, just feels right. I preferred the 456 to the Inbred – and it is suited to the longer fork, but I think way back, I did run a 100mm fork on a 456. They’re better with longer and the current one’s got 150mm Sectors on it which works a treat.

Depending how small / long you like your frames, you’re just on the cusp of 16″ and 18″. I’m 5′ 11″ and ride an 18″ with a decent amount of post showing.

paladin

Im about your height and have a 16″.
    Long TT, I’ve got a dropper in mine and its ideal.

asbrooks

I’m about 5’10 and bit, I have shortish legs (31″ inside leg). The standover on the 18 is fine for me. I run the inbred with 70mm stem and use a layback seat stem.
    I was considering a dropper post, however to keep the cockpit from feeling too cramped, I’d need the use a longer stem (which I don’t want to do).

alpineharry
    Free Member

From sounds of things i might be tempted by the 16″ as i’m used to smaller feeling frames with riding a downhill bike so much, they’re a bit more forgiving too i guess. 16″ and a 50-70mm stem might seem ideal, could even get a layback post if need be. I’ll compare the geo and reach of both sizes and see what’s best, i can’t be too picky though as i plan plan on going second hand on the frame.

Is anyone running theirs singlespeed? that goes for the inbred or 456, somehting i might give a go because i have the kit but failing that i could go 10spd zee for about 60 quid all in.

breadcrumb

I’m a little shorter than you and asked about 456 sizing a few weeks ago. The general consensus was 16″ so that’s what I got. A 18″ would of been too long unless I ran a ridiculously short stem and/or narrow bars.

For comparison I have a 18″ Pitch, that has a slightly shorter top tube but I still considered that long.

The 456 EVO II is a blast to ride, feels confident on the downs for a HT. I think this will be a permanent replacement for the Pitch.

alpineharry
    Free Member

I’ve gone for an 18″ 456 because I got a good deal on it, looking at geo etc there isn’t much difference and I think a bigger frame may be more beneficial as it’ll get mainly used for Xc/ am as opposed to concentrating on descends, I have a dh bike for that. I bought some 36 talas forks too so can range between the travels, i most likely run clips so will be an Xc/ am build mainly, as light as I can. I’ll not get it finished for a month or 2 though.

Thanks for the help

cp

Is anyone running theirs singlespeed?

yep, my steel 456 is now singlespeed. First ride on it last night since building it back up since discovering a corroded hole in the seat tube, when I retired it from long travel HT duty (replaced with C456). It’s a bit of a bodge of spare parts, but works well and it looks ‘just right’. I’d prefer a SS 29er really, but I didn’t have the bits lying around for one of those.

It’s very much an XC bike as i’ve built it, with 100mm marzocchi mx comps from 2002, 90mm stem, 700mm low rise bars, Hope XC/Macic 717 rims (hubs are 2002 and going strong!), Tioga Factory Mud tyres I won back in the day, Avid Juicy 7’s. I run an on-one tensioner, on-one stainless chainring, superstar sprocket and freehub spacers, HT cranks with Octalink BB. Will do a pic later if you want some inspiration 🙂

Still feels a bit flexi though when heaving on the pedals.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mate had a go on my C456 last night. He said it was probably the only bike he has sat on that is almost perfectly right for him. He is round next week with credit card in hand to buy a C456 frame and search for a Hope headset. Anyone advise on which pick and mix I need please? Also, is the Evo frame worthy of the extra cash over the older frame ?

cp

I’d go for the EVO if the geo changes are what he’s after.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

He has never had a hardtail in 20 years. I told him to try my deore brakes on the 456 and came back laughing on how good it felt. He now wants me to build one up for him. So just questioned the differences in the evo to old.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘On one 456 or Inbred?’ is closed to new replies.