Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • On-One 456 Evo X5 Sektor Bike
  • anagallis_arvensis

any good?

cp

yes

anagallis_arvensis

So as a former xc jey boy who now has no fitness will it help me on the downhills keep up with the full suss boys without going full suss myself, that would be a step too far. My 16 yearold lava dome just doesnt cut jt anymore on steep techy stuff. Should i look to try and add some different forks from the clearance ones at on one towers? I assume the ones it comes with weigh a fair bit?

Superficial
    Free Member

I would imagine it would be a lot nicer to ride than an old Kona.

It’s not a particularly light bike, I personally wouldn’t bother spending more on forks to save weight. Revelations with a posher damper would be a reasonable step up in performance but they’re by no means necessary. I would buy it and replace things if you have problems – can’t really get much better at that sort of price level.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Those Sektors will be fine – I’m pretty sure they share lowers with the Revs anyway. I run 150mm air Sektors on my Ti456 and they work a treat. I think you’d be made up with how well that 456 will ride and how much confidence you’ll get from the handling. I often feel that mine bails me out when my speed goes beyond my (limited) ability!

grittyshaker
    Free Member

My Ti456 dumped me on the trail and broke my arm on Friday evening. I might have hoped for a little more consideration.

ajt123
    Free Member

Air suspension is better. Basically with coil you are on the wrong spring rate unless you are *just the right weight.

Now that they have got so clever, why not go for an Air fork.

Sektor’s are brill by the way – not massive stiff on a slack bike – front to back – but very good side to side stiffness.

Alex

gonetothehills
    Free Member

My Ti456 dumped me on the trail and broke my arm on Friday evening. I might have hoped for a little more consideration.

Gutted! Hope you’re not out of action for too long? 🙁 Think you need to have words with the bike though – its not good enough. ..

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Just a crack in the proximal end of my left radius. Feeling better already. Doc says 6-8 weeks to heal fully. Hope to be back on the bike sooner. Bike is getting the silent treatment until it learns some manners. Which are no better than you’d expect.

sluff
    Free Member

I’m about to sell a custom build On One 456 Summer Season which if I’m not mistaken is the same bike?

It has:
    RockShox Pikes
    Formula RX Brakes & 203 rotors
    Shimano XT wheels
    Shimano SLX Groupset (2×9)
    Raceface bash guard and rings

The rest of the components are all pretty tasty. Built up last summer with a custom dark grey powder coat.

Selling as I live in the alps and need some cushioning in the rear so I’ve just picked up a Mega. I’m from Scotland though and it is the PERFECT UK trail centre bike, whether you buy mine or not you’ll love it!

Air suspension is better. Basically with coil you are on the wrong spring rate unless you are *just the right weight.

Now that they have got so clever, why not go for an Air fork.

* As they heat up the spring rate changes.

* They still have more stiction

* They have lower service intervals

* Coils don’t assplode on rides and lose their travel

* Coils still have better midstroke support.

Kendal
    Free Member

It is superb.

I got one last Autumn to replace my aged but much loved Spec’ Enduro. You’ll have lots of folk saying this or that could be better on it, or it could be lighter, but just buy one, ride it and I can garantee big smiles.

(To answer your question I can keep up with sus bikes riden by similarly skilled riders at trail centres and here in the Lakes.)

mrphil
    Free Member

I used Sektor RL’s on my old C456. Worked very well, had no problems on downhills. Lock out was nice on climbs aswell.

mrphil
    Free Member

double post..

benjimin
    Free Member

Reckon I’m gonna take the plunge on this bike. Recently got back into biking after a ten year lay off and been looking for second hand deals over the net but I cant resist the shiny new, or rather matt raw, feeling.

Current bike is 20″ GT Avalanche, 07 model and feels way too big heavy and boring. Im about 5’9″ inside leg around 30″ any recommendations for sizing from current owners? Bike will be used for 10 minute commute (down bridle paths) and fun on local trails. I cant decide between the 16 and 18″.

Cheers

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

16″ for sure. Chuckable fun. I’m 6ft and toying with the idea of an Evo frame and I’d go 18″ without doubt, so 16 for you.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Honestly?

For the money I fail to see how you can go wrong.

Maybe add a dropper seatpost, but otherwise it looks pretty sorted for most UK riding.

It may be worth subscribing to On-One’s email too as they’re throwing out a load of deals at the moment.

benjimin
    Free Member

Got me an email subscribe, tis a daily reminder of my lack of funds, same from chain reaction as well. Thankfully as its my main source of transport i’ve convinced the misses its a worthy buy, also watched a year old 16″ evo go for £200 off of ebay so they seem to hold value.

cheers cbmotorsport, thats basically what i was thinking just read so much conflicting advice that you gotta ask. Main issue is living in south west wales i wont get an opportunity to actually ride one and see how it feels. Unless anyone in pembrokeshire area has one?

Duffer
    Free Member

I love my 456, and On-One in general. Owned for 4-years, and in that time it’s gone from 140mm with gears to 100mm singlespeed.

I’m a smidgen under 6′, and i ride an 18″. Honestly, it’s bordering on too small for me (loads of seat-tube showing) and realistically i could do with a 20″. Be aware, they are quite long frames anyway.

Best trail bike on the market, for the price.

benjimin
    Free Member

Thanks Duffer, this is the problem! When I look at pics of the 16 it looks way too small for me despite geometry and recommendations. Don’t want to look like a clown. Might head to LBS and see if theres anything with a similar shape to sit on.
    If only there was a 17″…

Duffer
    Free Member

Where in the country are you?

brant
    Free Member

16in

rossi46
    Free Member

I would imagine it would be a lot nicer to ride than an old Kona.

You’ve never ridden an old Kona then i take it 😉

Geometry wise it’s not too different from an old Kona, so that means it’ll be great on twisty singletrack.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

brant – Member
    16in

From the horses mouth as it were.

@Brant – Any news as to when 456 Evo 18″‘s will be back in stock? I want one.

Cheers

benjimin
    Free Member

Duffer, St Davids Pembrokeshire.

Thank you Brant, just need the missus to ok the purchase now, I am whipped.

I had a Kona self build, Kahuna I think it was called bought the frame of my cousin. Rigid forks from some bloke just started out making them, cant remember the name but the were chrome finish. Ended up selling to buy a new amp.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘On-One 456 Evo X5 Sektor Bike’ is closed to new replies.