Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • On one 456 carbon or ti… Anyone tried both?
  • jontydewolfe
    Free Member

After a new bike and fancy either of these. So, anyone ridden both? Ti looks lovely but is it worth the extra over carbon? Also, the carbon one looks a little ugly, does the camera lie? 🙂

Would go for a kingdom legion but want to run a dropper post that is

A) not ugly (gd)
    And B) not almost 700g! (hilo)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve had a short ride on a Ti, but it was a bit small for me so it’s unfair to comment.

The uglyness is, IMO, limited to the bare frame. If built up right they look a bit stealth-bomber like IMO.

Just don’t use the standard decals! I had some made up….

IMG_0856 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_0864 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

That actually does look nice! Where did you get decals made?

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Oh, and slam that stem! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Where did you get decals made?

Got a mate works for a vehicle graphics company, so I got them for free. Anywhere like that will be able to do them though.
    Mine are metallic gunmetal grey letters with a silver outline.

wwaswas

Ti is far more compliant (in all directions) carbon has vertical compliance (i.e. doesn’t beat you up) but is very stiff laterally so you feel far more effort is going down to the tyre rather than winding the frame up.

Carbon is a lighter frame but possibly not ‘for life’ which a well looked after Ti frame would certainly be (assuming changing compenent standards don’t make it obsolete).

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

So carbon is stingy harsh?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Ti Frame for life? A quick search of this forum or the rest of the internets might make that statement seem a bit optimistic.

wwaswas

no, as I say – it has vertical compliance so it gives your bum a reasonable ride (certainly more so than the Steel 456) but it doesn’t bend sideways under pedal loads (which as I ride mine singlespeed is a good thing). Ti is probably slightly more forgiving on a longer ride, tbh, but I only rode one for an hour or so so I can’t give a definitive answer.

I certainly wouldn;t discount he carbon 456 over ride quality concerns.

Where are you – someone will probably let you sling a leg over one.

wwaswas

might make that statement seem a bit optimistic.

They do seem to get fixed when there are problems (at least Lynskey do and P-X have a good rep for warranty issues generally).

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Ahhh, right. Based outside edinburgh

Northwind

jontydewolfe, I’m still waiting for parts for my C456- they sent it out with old-style dropout bolts and don’t have any of the new-style ones in stock. But it should be built in a week or two and you’d be welcome to a shot once it’s done. Sadly I don’t also have a ti one to compare with 😉

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Buy one then. Sheesh

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

which a well looked after Ti frame would certainly be

Tell you what, I’ve seen more complaints about broken Ti frames in the last year than everything else put together.

Good God no! It’s a very ‘muted’ feeling to my mind. Just like a normal bike otherwise, but not harsh in any way!

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Does it sound hollow like my road bike? I like that!

wwaswas

tbh, unless you have a very good chain stay protector and a fair bit of ‘copter tape on the downtube it can sound like a Tupperware box full of marbles going downhill at speed on a loose surface.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Cool

chakaping
    Free Member

Carbon seatpost really adds a lot of comfort to the C456.

Not that it’s harsh anyway, but with the carbon post it’s the comfiest HT I’ve owned.

And you do get used to the looks.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Like an ugly spouse?

Northwind

I think it looks great tbh, purposefully ugly, it’s a tool not an ornament and it doesn’t pretend otherwise.

Then again I would say that, my other bike looks like it wanted to be a crane but made some bad decisions.

chakaping
    Free Member

Like an ugly spouse?

…who is a really good ride.

pickle
    Free Member

ordered my C456 last week…….can’t wait for the 24th for them to come in 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘On one 456 carbon or ti… Anyone tried both?’ is closed to new replies.