• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brant.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • On One 456 carbon evo owners
  • Kuntoilija
    Free Member

I have waited for opinions from new 456 evo carbon frame, but i haven’t noticed any. There should be already in use several home built or o-o built bikes. Could owners give some feed back from the frame ? I currently have steel evo II frame. It is excellent frame, but lighter is always lighter, but not better, if the rear is stiff as death.

kahunajb
    Free Member

Just giving this a bump as I am interested.

singlesteed
    Free Member

+2

andyl
    Free Member

no idea about the evo version but my normal carbon 456 is great. Well damped ride.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Is the evo versionbolt thru on rear and has it a standard size bb?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have the old c456, been riding it with a 2 degree slackset for a few years, I presume it’s sort of Evo geometry (I’m assuming Evo = slack head angle). Love it, lightweight climber and slacked out for descents. It’s a hardtail, so a bit rough on the arse and body, but only expected, love it.

Mugboo

Mines the same as B.A.Nana’s with the Slackset headset fitted straight 😉 it’s a great bike. I’d always choose my Mega for a big day out but the c456 gets ridden locally from Oct to March.

It’s built up with 140mm 36’s & Hope/Flow wheels, etc. In fact, other than it’s tiny wheels I think it’s on trend 🙂 maybe that Brant chap knows a thing or two about bike design…

brianp
    Free Member

Early feedback from my son who has just finished his Evo 456C build. Gone for all rigid using the Lurcher fork.

Very smooth, compliant and fast. He has been riding a Ti bike (all TI, frame , rigid forks, saddle, bars, seat post) for a long time and although carbon does not seem as instantly responsive as a TI frame, he is actually riding in a higher gear than before so is going faster. He is very impressed. Carbon stem and bars also helps in ride quality as well.

He is genuinely pleased with his new build and I am really looking forward to a go at the weekend.

havi
    Free Member

When I built up my non-evo c456 to replace a slot-dropup Inbred, the first thing I noticed was how snappy the rear end is. The carbon frame converts pedal strokes into speed more immediately. Don´t know how to say it better. Yet the rear end feels more compliant and soaks up small bumps and chatter more comfortable as the steel frame. I experienced the same with the Lurcher carbon frame.
    Hope that helps.

Cheezpleez

carbon does not seem as instantly responsive as a TI frame

Eh?

FWIW my Original C456 is very stiff but surprisingly comfy. Although, personally, I think the sound a carbon frame makes (or doesn’t) over the juddery-clattery stuff influences perceptions to some extent.

Cheezpleez

The Evo has very different geo – much shorter chainstays as well as slacker angles. Should be a fun bike.

Mugboo

That’s a good point. The carbon frame really amplifies the sound of cables/chains, etc. Not unique to this frame though, my mates old Lotus was stoopidly noisy!

brianp
    Free Member

Bullet

I have one, built as a winter/mud bike. Rides really nice but the back end is rock solid and being used to fs I have had to adapt my riding style when out on it, although that’s no bad thing. Brilliant on twisty singletrack and finds loads of traction on the climbs. Overall very happy with it but it does make me realise how good my Ghost fs is!

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve had one for about 6 months and it’s the bike I use most

Pros- light, fast, lots of stand over, long and stable, good fit for me (16″ and 5ft 7)
    Cons – I find the rear quite stiff but I now use a 2.3 purg rear which seems to work well

It took me a while to get used to it having come from a dialled alpine. It gets better the faster you go if that makes sense.

I’d definitely get another one. I’d probably go stealth black though as while the Orange I have is nice the gloss finish is looking a bit tired now.

I ride in the quantocks/exmoor/Dartmoor so rocky ish

flicker
    Free Member

😐

You lot really aren’t helping my bank balance…

I quite fancy a carbon evo and there’s 3 small frames left in stock, anyone run one with a 100mm fork up front? Don’t want to change forks as well as frame.

My other option was a 2nd hand giant anthem frame

brant
    Free Member

The Evo has very different geo – much shorter chainstays as well as slacker angles. Should be a fun bike.

It doesn’t have shorter chainstays.
    It has a slacker head angle, lower bb, steeper seat angle.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 carbon evo owners’ is closed to new replies.