Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • On One 456, Acceptable paint finish or faulty?
  • nmdbase
    Free Member

I ordered the mint green glow in the dark finish, do you think that it it is finished acceptably?

I particularly would like to hear from anyone with the same frame colour to see if their is the same.

Cheers
    Paul

druidh
    Free Member

What anyone else thinks is, quite frankly, irrelevant. If you’re not happy, tell them so and ask for a refund/replacement as you prefer.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I have done that and they say it’s normal on that finish, which I don’t believe TBH.

druidh
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    If you’re not happy, tell them so and ask for a refund/replacement as you prefer.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Looks a little thin but then so does the paint on both of my Marins. Get in touch and ask.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ll bet you won’t notice it in the dark anyway…

nmdbase
    Free Member

maybe I’m spoilt lol

convert

Whenever I put too much thinners in the mix in the gun I get a finish like that. I guess it might be the fluorescent additive (or it not being taken into account). Strange- most On One px spray jobs look like they have been sprayed on with too thick a mix (fast like that) with a bit of lost definition. Strangely though, I quite like the effect. 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I was also thinking they have put in too much thinners.

You can see where it is gathering near to the edges and forming thick ridges as well as going too thin on the sharp corners. Pi$$ poor painting to be frank.

If that is what it always ends up like and no matter what mix it always did it then I would do a quick white primer coat first to hide the edges better.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My pink one is a bit like that.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Yep, mines like that, I wasn’t too bothered about it really, but it’s not great is it.
    Had to re-cut the thread on the hanger to put a derailleur on when i got mine too.
    My first and prob last On-one (until I forget about the grief I had on first getting this frame)

Garry_Lager

See what you mean but complaining about the finish on a 456 don’t seem right to me. Not at that level anyhow – it would be like taking something back to primark because you weren’t quite happy with the cut of the fabric.
    If it was like that on something more upmarket I’d have no hesitation, but that’s a long way from being worthy of complaint on a 456 frame IMHO.

bonchance
    Free Member

It is poor. I would be disappointed in any other circumstance than my 3yr old having presented it.

druidh
    Free Member

Garry_Lager – Member
    See what you mean but complaining about the finish on a 456 don’t seem right to me. Not at that level anyhow – it would be like taking something back to primark because you weren’t quite happy with the cut of the fabric.
    If it was like that on something more upmarket I’d have no hesitation, but that’s a long way from being worthy of complaint on a 456 frame IMHO.

Ah – you mean it might be shit, but it’s OK because it’s cheap shit?

pitduck
    Free Member

ive got a 456ss(greatbike)dont worry it will all fall off anyway 8)

andyl
    Free Member

I wonder if little rust spots will appear where the paint is very thin and allows moisture to easily penetrate.

I’m not really sure why people are saying that it’s fine to have a poor paintjob on a cheap frame. You can buy a whole bike from a supermarket for less than the price of the frame and it will have a better paint job.

But for the OP – I suspect you will be banging your head against a wall trying to get a better finish. Maybe the person doing it is just not getting on with the glow in the dark paint or maybe the equipment/gun configuration they use just won’t spray it with any less thinners.

Garry_Lager

It’s obv not fine to have a weak paintjob on the bike, it’s disappointing. My experience of on-one, though, is that they’re rough and ready value frames, and these sort of lapses in workmanship are not uncommon and are the price you (don’t) pay for the frame. The 456 must be one of the cheapest MTB frames anyone would ever buy new anywhere.

Not that it’s wrong to send it back of course if nmdbase feels that way. My BiL will send back his £4.99 pie and chips at Wetherspoons if he’s unhappy with the pastry crust. He’s pretty happy with the food he ends up getting so I’m certainly not saying it’s silly to do this if that’s your style.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats frankly a rubbish paint job. On ones are not of the highest quality paint jobs but that is rubbish

druidh – Member

What anyone else thinks is, quite frankly, irrelevant. If you’re not happy, tell them so and ask for a refund/replacement as you prefer.

Is the correct answer – Thats your choice

2 ways – distance selling regs you have the right to reject for no reason within a week
    sale of goods act – not mechantable quality they have not fulfilled their side of the contract – refund / replace / repair your choice

toys19
    Free Member

exactly, you have the right to a return/refund.
    Whilst I agree it is rubbbish and you are in your rights to return, personally I wouldn’t be fussed for 140 odd quid frame, esp as with me on it, the paint job will be trashed in no time..

butcher

It’s a £200 frame. You can buy entire bikes with a better paint finish than that.

On-One offer some good value for money. But they’re not in the market of selling cheap tat.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I do agree with the price there, still as has been pointed out I’ve seen £100 bikes with a far better paint job.

I think the general thought is the same as mine though, it’s shite!!

Here’s what they said

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the e mail.

The finish on the frame is standard with this model, the glow in the dark paint can sometimes struggle to hold to the areas around the drop outs.

Unfortunately I do not have any more of these frames left in stock to swap for you, you managed to get your hands on the last one!

Would you like to return the frame for a refund?

Regards
    James

BUT they are charging me £16 to send it back!!!

We can arrange collection of the frame from you, this will come with a £16 charge. We only refund postage costs when we have supplied an incorrect of faulty item.

In this instance we have supplied you with what you ordered and you have deemed it unsuitable. You will need to return the frame to us for refund.

Last time I buy anything off of them!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats not that unreasonable a response. Under the distance selling regs if its that you have changed your mind they are entitled to charge postage IIRC. Under SOGA – that its faulty – they are not entitled to change postage.

How much do you want to argue for £16 – its either this frame or no frame

flow
    Free Member

You only paid £99 for it!

Euro
    Free Member

The rusty liquid that will pour out of these holes will disguise it a little.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 you’d pay double that for a respray at Argos so expecting a perfectly polished paint finish is probably asking a bit much. It’s a steel mountain bike at a budget price, and after a few rides it’s going to look far worse, but so would one finished perfectly.

nmdbase
    Free Member

What about poundland?

scruff
    Free Member

Glow in the dark?

Really ?

Andy-R

flow – Member

At that price I wouldn’t worry about it, once it’s been built up, ragged around and thrown down a few rock steps and things like that it’ll have more than its fair share of chips and scrapes anyway.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Can it not have a coat of lacquer applied? Then the paint is protected and everyone’s happy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just been down to the van and this analogy poped into my head whilst biteing into my bacon buttie.

“Complaining about the paint finish at on-one is like complaining that the ketchup at your local greesy spoon isn’t heinz”

timc
    Free Member

Duno whats worse, the colour or the paint job itself.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be happy with that finish. How much you paid is irrelevant – if they can’t provide you with a quality finish at that price they should be charging more, or at least warning you that it’s going to be pants.

hora
    Free Member

Only paid £99 for it.

What do you think it cost to make? The OP didn’t order a QC seconds. Thats the factories fault.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you pay peanuts….you get monkeys whinging it’s not faaair.

Rich
    Free Member

You could try and argue that the frame provided is faulty.
    It certainly looks rubbish, and the description doesn’t say the paint will only be applied on certain parts of the frame! 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be happy with that finish. How much you paid is irrelevant – if they can’t provide you with a quality finish at that price they should be charging more, or at least warning you that it’s going to be pants.

What do you think it cost to make? The OP didn’t order a QC seconds. Thats the factories fault.

Yes, but if you want to pay more theres cotic, dialled, sanderson, singular, etc all making similar frames, you’re not buying a £400 frame for £99 at on-one, you’re buying a £99 that’s amost as good as a £400 frame. Something(and plural) is going to suffer, a bit of overspray here, you’re not going to coo over the welding there, tubing is basic Cr-Mo not Reynolds/columbus/thorn/deda (even if it is the same stuff from the same factory).

for £99

darryl1983
    Free Member

I’d be pretty annoyed if my brand new frame turned up looking like that.

But saying that, I was watching one of these frames (Secondhand) on eBay a few weeks ago, that sold for well over £100, I believe it was £115+ postage cost.

So for £99 including Postage it’s still a bargain, just depends if you can live with the imperfectsions. At the end of the day you brought it believing it would be painted to a standard similar to any other new frame and it’s not quite franky.

The paint on my carbon 456 is pretty rubbish too. Looks fine when brand new, but scratches really easily and is soo thin.

unklehomered
    Free Member

My 456ss is GITD and paint job was fine, some of the finishing a little rough on brake and mech mounts, but not like the pictures at all. got it a year ago.

arj256
    Free Member

I have the same colour frame, and mine was similar when I picked it up over a year ago.
    The parts where it looks bare metal Haven’t rusted and by the time the rest of the paint wears you soon forget!
    Not to mention the usual On One gusset rusting.
    For the price you pay its to be expected, rides well which is what counts.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Its a frame to be built up and thrashed around your local trails not pinned to the wall and drooled over, all the scratches are reminders of rides you have enjoyed and the rust stains memorys of the wet winter.

It is all of £99 just ride the arse of it and have fun. If you are a tart get it powder painted and spend lots of your free time polishing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘On One 456, Acceptable paint finish or faulty?’ is closed to new replies.