Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • On-One…?
  • Point
    Free Member

Hi guys, hope you're all great. Seems i always turn to STW when I need some proper answers so don't let me down ;).

What's On-One like to deal with for things like warrenty/crashes?
    What are their products like…?
    Is the service they offer good?
    Warranty a good length of time?

Chatting to one of the guys Saturday about their new XC carbon frame coming out… A) its amazingly priced, B) It's fairly good looking. Seems to be of a reasonable weight, but being as its new, there are no reviews and I don't want to find I've purchased 'tat'.

Finally, one last question… Will i regret going carbon? Or should i stick to alu frames?

Cheers
    Point

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm not great, I'm bloody brilliant. and don't you forget it sonny.

😉 😈

clubber
    Free Member

What's On-One like to deal with for things like warrenty/crashes?
    Good from what I've heard. Not had any problems with mine though.

What are their products like…?
    Generally, well designed, good riding, cheap but not particularly light. Some avoid the last point.

Is the service they offer good?
    You pay them and they deliver. Seems good to me.

Warranty a good length of time?
    No idea but I'm confident that they'll deal with it fairly.

Finally, one last question… Will i regret going carbon? Or should i stick to alu frames?
    Impossible to say 🙂 Go for whichever one you want now.

Point
    Free Member

Sir Yes Sir !

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Generally, well designed, good riding, cheap but not particularly light. Some avoid the last point.

Products or people avoid the point?

clubber
    Free Member

Some products. Eg ScandAl is reasonably light,

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Damn I was going to argue with you.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, I know my weight weenie roadie. Don't worry, I wasn't slagging off your soul-less ScandAl 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It's not amazingly light, 1300g-1400g, the website quotes different weights in different places. if you wanted to save weight you could probably buy a scandal for £200-£300 less and spend the change on lightweight stuff you wouldn't otherwise have done.

One of the guys I've ridden with at Swinley off here has a kinesis maxlight pro 3 (the model on the STW homepage), if you want a good looking, well built, lightweight frame that rides well and not particularly common then its definately competition for the on-one.

I've only ever ridden carbon full suspension bikes, and they do feel a bit 'dead'. But thats a combination of the design, the material and probably to an extent, my prejudice.

On-one as a company is fine, never heard a bad word about them if it breaks and its their fault you'll be covered, if you crash it and break it then they sometimes do crash replacement frames at a reduced price.

Point
    Free Member

Thankyou for your replies so far guys.

Ok, so alternatively…

What frame would you recommend for racing XC, but is comfortable enough for all day rides… As i really dont want a stretched out from/long TT.

Cheers…

Point

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What frame would you recommend for racing XC, but is comfortable enough for all day rides… As i really dont want a stretched out from/long TT.

I would say the Scandal, but they have a long TT as does the Inbred.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can't help you there, I like my top tubes long.

Go to a few demo days, try out a variety of bikes and go home to figure out what it was you liked about particular ones. I found I liked 59cm top tubes on all types of bikes and adjusted the stem length from 110mm for XC to 50mm for DH.

Have you tried a normal inbred? It's not light but will let you try out the on-one geometry on the cheep. Maybe buy one s/h, buy all the bling lightweight bits you want to build it with, try it for a few weeks and if you like it buy a carbon or aluminium version, if not try something else untill you find the frame you like.

Steelsreal

thisisnotaspoon, YGM re the peugeot…

Point
    Free Member

I'm certainly thinking the Demo day is a good idea.

Thanks for all your help as always STW.

Cheers Mr thisisnotaspoon also.

Point

theflatboy
    Free Member

Point – Member

Point

no way – you didn't say "simon says".

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yep, I'm back to my usual self today, will sort out posting tonight.

Northwind

Good value stuff, you get a lot of bike for your money. Though I do always think that the Scandal made the Inbred irrelevant, but people keep buying it anyway so what do I know? Good prices on other stuff sometimes as well.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

If you're not worried about looks or beautiful welds, but want a good solid frame, that handles well and lasts, I can't recommend my Inbred enough.

I've abused it for six years and still really enjoy riding it. It's not failed so I've had no need to test the warranty out, but in all my dealings with On-One/Planet-X they've been really quick off the mark and given me all the answers I've needed.

I'm still not convinced about carbon over steel as a mountain bike frame material. It could be argued that when you're only talking about a pound or so difference in weight, you are better off spending the money you save on better quality, lighter wheels.

Del

the 456 ( inc the carbon i believe ) and the inbred/scandal have different geometries BTW.

to address Northwind's point i'd say that the original scandals may have been competition for the inbred, as they were scandium, but i wouldn't want the plain ally scandal currently produced ( i believe ) to replace my steel inbred ( 853 or dn6 one ).

clubber
    Free Member

Though I do always think that the Scandal made the Inbred irrelevant,

Price difference. Plus stupid poorly informed people think inbreds will be springy because they're steel…

Northwind

Del – Member

"to address Northwind's point i'd say that the original scandals may have been competition for the inbred, as they were scandium, but i wouldn't want the plain ally scandal currently produced ( i believe ) to replace my steel inbred ( 853 or dn6 one )."

Ah, that's probably fair enough, mine was the older one, if the new one is a more classic stiff alu frame then that won't be the case any more.

shermer75
    Free Member

A friend of mine has the new carbon 456 and loves it, if that's any help.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Biven how stiff my 456 feels compared to other steel frames I'd say any differences are in your head, although I did have a cannondale hardtail and that really was stiff!

69er
    Free Member

Is this another of those not very subtle On One promotion threads?

mangatank
    Free Member

I've always found On-One to be quite quirky. In a good way though. Obviously the vibe has changed since designer Brant left, but the product range seems to be exciting and inovative again after a bit of a pause. I'd love to get the new Carbon 456. It looks amazing and just the job for Black Route climbs. 😀

The Whippet looks really interesting too, though if I went for carbon again I'd want it over-built like the 456.

My ScandAL (like everyone else's) was very delayed at the product roll out, but I couldn't be happier with it. While I spend most of my time on the full susser due to the local terrain, when I do take the ScanAL out, it never fails to delight me. So lithe and compliant and blisteringly fast too. I'd race with it without a moments hesitation. It's a truly stunning bit of frame design and proof that Brant's design skills aren't hype.

Begs the question though: Why not look at Ragley Bikes and the Blue Pig and mmmBop? They're the modern successors to the 456 in my opinion.

thomthumb
    Free Member

My ScandAL on one(like everyone else's) was very delayed at the product roll out,

fixed that for you.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘On-One…?’ is closed to new replies.