Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 212 total)
  • On my road bike ride today, i came across a bad accident
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Riding a twisty turny yorkshire road, i came across a bad motorbike accident, 2 bikers head on !!

Unfortunately both deceased, kinda puts things in perspective

zaskar
    Free Member

Poor bikers.

Yep stop moaning and realise how lucky we all are.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I hope for your sake you weren't first on the scene.

matt_outandabout

🙁

wrightyson
    Free Member

Holy shit! Mates a fireman and hates attending bike accidents because there's usually only one outcome!

firestarter
    Free Member

get these too often at work in the warm weather 🙁

bruneep

Holy shit! Mates a fireman and hates attending bike accidents because there's usually only one outcome!

Sadly yes.

toys19
    Free Member

Sends shivers down my spine, sold all my motorbikes cant play that game any more..

rOcKeTdOg

yup a warm bank holiday usually fills the mortuary at work with the mid life crisis bikers

project
    Free Member

Saw 2 accidents today, 2 cars head on smash as they both tried to turn right across a dual carrigeway,Hit each other on the gap in the central reservation, and a 3 car crash where a car pulled out of a juction in front of another car,and got hit by another car decided it was not a good day to ride on road.

Yeti Guy you OK about what you saw.It must have been a shock

firestarter
    Free Member

i nearly got hit by a motorcycle recently whilst on my road bike. it was a twisty road and i could hear the engine screaming from a distance. i kept right into the edge and thru the s bends a bike appeared at **** knows what speed right by my side . he was close enough that i saw his eyes in shock as he passed me hard on the brakes. he stopped a few hundred yards up the road and sat with his hands on the tank. i changed my pants lol. close thing had i been a car or a motorbike hed be brown bread. ;-( (if id have had my walkman on and not heard him coming and got right out the way i prob would have been too)

yetiguy
    Free Member

i was third on the scene, waited about 10 mins for the ambulance, first people on the scene told me that neither of them had made it.

Such a tragic loss of life, the guy must have overtook me just prior to the accident.

Later on in the same ride, came across another biker that had crashed in to a stone wall, fortunately she survived.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just missed one myself tonight. Filled up with fuel at my local, two bikes had filled up just before me, as I left & got round the next roundabout there's one of them all over the road! As you come off the roundabout there's a bollard about 50-75yards further on. The only thing I can think of is that he's gone round the island then given it some welly, only to find that he can't get inside the bollard! (30 mph zone) There were skid marks where he'd thought 'oh sh!t', looked like he was walking wounded so i carried on to the pub.
    As Mike Hailwood said about the Isle of Man, 'the throttle works both ways'

monkeychild
    Free Member

I don't wish death on anyone and feel really sorry for the loss of their families. Some of these motorcyclists really need to stop take stupid and unnecessary risks on the road (waits the torrent of what about what you do on your mtb retorts). Coming back from this afternoons family jaunt, a couple of street hawk wannabes decided to overtake a mass of flowing traffic even on some blind bends. They made one guy slam on as they had to pull in so as to avoid impending doom from an oncoming car. I get why people ride crotch rockets I just don't get the stupid risks some riders take.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is true that some motorcyclists ride far faster than they have skill for – but equally it is possible to ride at speeds that appear unsafe to non motorcyclists while still having big safety margins such is the performance of the modern bike.

First hot weekend of the summer and all the born again summer only weekend warriers come out. Bound to be casualties.

BenjiM

My girlfriends next door neighbor was killed yesterday in a motorbike accident. He left behind 3 young girls and a wife. He was a very successful electrician just about to move to a bigger house too. Such a huge shame, really nice fella too. He's from Longridge near Preston.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Should leave racing for the race track. Very little sympathy.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Heading home yeaterday on a nice and twisty quiet road. Huge number of bikes with the whell stuck to the whit line but on full lean which put the helmet about my head height. At least one guy suddenly realised it was not a good idea. My wheels well of the road kicking up dust, glad i didn't have the bike on the carrier on the back, that extra 6 inches could have been deadly.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

My uncle was knocked off his Vincent yesterday afternoon and killed. He was 65, ridden bikes full time from the age of 16, never had an accident until yesterday. The roads in the peak district are not a good place on a sunny Sunday afternoon 😕

_tom_
    Free Member

Some of these motorcyclists really need to stop take stupid and unnecessary risks on the road

Agreed, I almost went into the back of a motorbiker the other day because he undertook me round a left hand turn. Gave him an angry beep and he looked at me as though he was in the right.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Yeah see it a lot at work. People offshore suddenly have a lot of money and think, well I had a Honda 50 in 1975, so Ill just buy a nice GSXR 1000, they're all bikes. It invariably ends in tears.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the amount of bikes who have no concept of how much they protrude across lanes when cornering hard is unbelievable. the amount of times you can nearly collect one just by driving safely in the right lane on a corner (on sunny days, mostly) is ridiculous.

clubber
    Free Member

Some of these motorcyclists really need to stop take stupid and unnecessary risks on the road

I'll extend that to anyone racing be that cars or motorbikes on the roads. By all means take risks yourself (and as mtbers we can hardly complain about that) but when it puts other people at risk, that just makes you a ******.

Saw an accident a few years back where a motorbike had gone too fast round a bend, hit a car coming the other way head on and killed the driver and pretty seriously injured the passenger and two kids in the back. Found out later (since I had been overtaken by the biker just before at high speed and forcing me to slam on the brakes to prevent him either hitting oncoming traffic or me, I was asked to provide a witness statement) that he was 28, two kids, second on the way. Two families destroyed. Idiot.

SST
    Free Member

Accident over here a month or so ago – Two guys on bikes – one went into the back of the other at speed. Both killed outright. Broken necks AFAIK. When they examined the bikes afterwards they found that the speedo needle on the bike that had ridden into the back of my friends friend, was stuck on 200kmp/h

Madness.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, you get up, check the bike to see how damaged it is, and either ride off or call the AA…..

Similar to any bike, most accidents are minor and never reported or need attention. I've done it 3-4 times, and one other time I was knocked out and went to hospital 🙂

It is true that some motorcyclists ride far faster than they have skill for – but equally it is possible to ride at speeds that appear unsafe to non motorcyclists while still having big safety margins such is the performance of the modern bike.

Spot on, but I'd also like to add that if you position yourself correctly on a bike, you can generally see FAR MORE than you can in a car which makes some stuff possible you can't even dream about in a car. I'll take anybody out for a spin and show them what I mean 🙂
    It's quite possible to move from A to B with astonshing speed on a motorbike, far in excess of what a car can do, easily, safely, and stress free. (And I don't mean outright speed, I mean point to point speed)

They made one guy slam on as they had to pull in so as to avoid impending doom from an oncoming car.

So the car driver was following the car in front too close then.
    If you can't overtake yourself, leave room for those who can.

5lab

some of the chat on here reminds me of this video

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/29010/886151

talk about brown pants

Free Member

Guys, I'm so sorry and saddened to read the above comments so many seem to have lost.

I've *always* wanted a bike, reading the above just echo's the reasons as to why I shouldn't (winding it back and perhaps riding a little too quickly / above skill level / public road treated as a private road / other idiots on the road etc etc)

jt

fisha
    Free Member

total bollox … if you cant overtake safely and pull in safely without making other car have to take avoiding action, then dont overtake.

Its upto the overtaking vehicle to make the manoeuvre in a manner safe to all vehicles involved.

br
    Free Member

TBH the problem isn't motorcycles, the same way mtb's aren't accident causers. But an awful lot of bikers (both powered and otherwise) only ride in nice weather and/or weekends – consequently their 'skills' (and fitness) are poor.

As a life-long biker I use to hate summer Sundays (and warm Fridays when the boys would commute on their sports-bikes…), as the riding I saw was just plain scary with a total lack of appreciation for forward-vision, understanding of road conditions and just plain lack of skill. I also see it amongst mtb-ers'.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Recently saw three bikers pulling wheelies up hill on a link road between the M3 and the Winchester turn off – as the front guy put his wheel down the traffic car parked in the lay by put his blue lights on!

I know a police motorcyclist who hates this weather because he patrols the A272 and ends up picking up the pieces (literally sometimes) as it's a notorious stretch for bikers showing off.

eckinspain
    Free Member

MilitantGraham – Member

They made one guy slam on as they had to pull in so as to avoid impending doom from an oncoming car.

So the car driver was following the car in front too close then.

No, as I understand it the car had to slam on it's brakes to allow the motorbike to cut in so that he (the m'bike) didn't crash head on into oncoming traffic.

zokes
    Free Member

It has always made me wonder why the signs say "THINK BIKE". Why not just tell the twunts on bikes to "THINK CAR" once in a while, and there's be a few less issues…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I also see it amongst mtb-ers'.

I'm not sure an off-road trail requires quite the same level of forward planning and understanding of road conditions personally!

bobbyspangles

riding motorbikes is dangerous and risky, that is why people do it.

that is why i do it.

god speed to all those who die in pursuit of happiness, yet my thoughts are always with those who get injured unintentionally in the crossfire.

grumm
    Free Member

. I've done it 3-4 times, and one other time I was knocked out and went to hospital

So you are clearly riding beyond your ability and unsafely then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Spot on, but I'd also like to add that if you position yourself correctly on a bike, you can generally see FAR MORE than you can in a car which makes some stuff possible you can't even dream about in a car.

A 85 glen ogle north of lochearnhead. I must have left hundreds of car drivers thinking I was overtaking on blind bends – when infact knowing the road and knowing where to look you could quite safely overtake.

I do think it is sometimes hard for non motorcyclists to distinguish between what is fast but reasonably safe done in a competent manner and the unsafe idiots without the skills for the speed they ride at.

As the demographics of motorcyclists have changed the "typical" accident has changed. It used to be kids on small sporty bikes hitting cars in town. Its now middleaged men on big sports bikes running out of skill and road on rural roads.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

I know a police motorcyclist who hates this weather because he patrols the A272 and ends up picking up the pieces (literally sometimes) as it's a notorious stretch for bikers showing off.

That road is best avoided on Sundays. If I had a pound for every time a **** on a m'bike overtook me or someone in front of me and cut in front with literally inches to spare – and only missing the oncoming car because the innocent oncoming car slammed on his/her brakes to avoid a crash. And how often is the road between Upper Beeding and Washington or Washington and Steyning closed while they mop up the mess? Every Sunday you'll see bikes riding around and round the Shoreham flyover roundabout, knees scraping the ground . . . YOU ARE NOT A MOTORCYLE RACING CHAMPION YOU MUPPET! And if you want to see wheelie FAIL's – pop up to Whiteways at the top of Bury Hill any weekend.

There are hundreds of bikers who clearly enjoy a Sunday breakfast run and are no danger to themselves or the rest of us, and there are a few **** you spoil it for everyone.

grumm
    Free Member

I do think it is sometimes hard for non motorcyclists to distinguish between what is fast but reasonably safe done in a competent manner

Maybe, but given that fast overtaking isn't exactly a necessity 'reasonably safe' is still not great. Also scaring the shit out of car drivers isn't really a good plan even if you think you are being safe.

I used to live in Kirkby Lonsdale and in summer there was regularly people getting scraped off the roads round there, and driving was often a scary experience.

Nick

god speed to all those who die in pursuit of happiness

I understand the sentiment but as has already been stated a lot of these people have families, wives, children etc, put that into perspective and their pursuit of happiness suddenly seems extremely selfish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘On my road bike ride today, i came across a bad accident’ is closed to new replies.