• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • On from my what jersey, now it's a what roadie gilet thread?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

As many people have mentioned gilets in my thread the other day about roadie jerseys, I’m now wondering if you guys could recommend me a windproof gilet to wear over a jersey when it’s breezy or indeed what to look for? Thanks

benp1

My road based gilet are
    Morvelo Hemisphere – excellent, slightly odd sizing though, has jersey pockets too
    Rapha Brevet – excellent, good reflectives, no pockets, packs up small
    Scott something – snug fit, has a cut out in the back to get to jersey pockets

I have 2 convertible jackets but I don’t use those as gilets only unless I’m taking the arms too

Yak

An old garneau one for the road in neon yellow and a club colours one for off-road.
    Both are more-or-less the same. Solid polyester front and mesh back.

You want a good snug fit to avoid flapping fabric.

iainc

seeing as loads of us said Castelli Gabba on the other thread, here’s their Gilet version.

It is very good IMO :

fawesome

and a bargain at that price…

eemy
    Free Member

Altura Core gilet. Pockets at the front – none of that pockets at the rear roadie nonsense. Luckily I already have a fat tummy so no one notices when I also squirrel away house keys, phone, gel, toffee crisps etc….. in the pockets.

lunge

Honestly, any that you can find that fit. The Scott ones at Start Cycles are OK as are the Decathlon B’Twin jobs. My favourite is an aged Spec Windstopper one I picked up from my LBS for dirt cheap.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Anyone used a schutt one? That’s just come up in a google search with good reviews. Nice and black too.

Merak

Good for hi viz no? incidentally I have a Shutt gilet it’s excellent. Got it years ago 2nd hand bargainous. Altura Reflex is good too. Rapha are nice but pricey 🙂

canopy
    Free Member

for a roadie ride or?

i’ve got a cheap-ish (15 quid?) soft shell gilet (hi-gear possibly?) that i’ve used MTBing in deepest winter.. does me fine

D0NK

Had a gore windstopper one donkeys ago, had a lusso one (pre skylon) which lasted an age but recently died (zip went) now rocking the aldi one I bought, as a spare, a while back. Having difficulty finding a replacement in stock, with pockets at sensible prices.

stevious

No specific recommendations, but you should look for a decent fit to avoid flapping. Pocket s are a good idea too

mrblobby
    Free Member

seeing as loads of us said Castelli Gabba on the other thread, here’s their Gilet version.

That’s not a Gilet, it’s a vest!

I’ve got an old Gore one with a mesh back, good fit but it’s not very packable, really must get a new one. Don’t see many with a mesh back anymore, though notice Stolen Goat does one.

iainc

That’s not a Gilet, it’s a vest!

…is there a difference ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

…is there a difference ?

Yes, and you might get mistaken for a triathelete 🙂

iainc

^^^^ nae chance of that with my gut 🙂

benp1

I love the back of my Morvelo Hemisphere. The front is mostly yellow, the back is, in the words of someone who stopped at the lights with me, “like a neon zebra”

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious lack of mesh backed ones. Only ones I can find are Rapha and Stolen Goat.

mattbee

Rapha Brevet for me. In pink because awesome.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve got an old gore active shell one with a mesh back, would highly recommend except they dont make them any more.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Another +1 for morvelo hemisphere.. Only criticism being it snags quite easily on the back from using the pockets. Otherwise excellent

jam-bo

That gore one amazon were doing cheap a few months back.

Someone was flogging one for the same price on the classifieds a few days back.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

+1 for Decathlon BTwin. Packs up super small for the days you’re not sure. Cheap.

Did me fine in the Pyrenees a couple of years ago on the Etape.

iainc

jam bo – that was me, it’s sold. Nice gilet and great deal, didn’t fit me as well as the older one that fifeandy refers to (which I also have and am keeping !)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘On from my what jersey, now it's a what roadie gilet thread?’ is closed to new replies.