Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • On-board camera Sven Nys – UCI Cyclo Cross WC Milton Keynes
  • An entertaining two and a half minutes.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q477woJeVA[/video]

tthew

I thought cameras were banned? (or is that just BC)

Dunno, it’s just something I found on a friend’s Facebook page and thought it might be of interest here.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I think he got special permission from the UCI to have an on board camera. At least that is what I understood from his FB page.

crazy-legs

I thought cameras were banned? (or is that just BC)

The BC rule stems from the UCI – cameras are indeed banned except for specific permissions.
    The UCI have been experimenting with on-board cameras for a while now but in order to control it, they grant “dispensation” to a team or individual. Katie Compton had a camera on her bike in the Women’s race, not seen any footage of that one yet though.

This was from the Tour of California in early 2014 as they started the on-board camera trial:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aH1bn6yUI[/video]

tthew

Great, thanks. With decent HD cameras being so small and light these days, that seems like a reasonable stance to take.

Surprisingly for the UCI. 😀

Bearing in mind I know nothing about road racing…

Why do several riders appear to slow down, or at least make no effort to keep up, when the sprint for the finish starts at about 0:45?

Why are cameras banned?

IA

Why do several riders appear to slow down, or at least make no effort to keep up,

It’s the lead out men the sprinters have been drafting, they peel off cos they’re gubbed!

Just try riding 150k and then keep up with a 50mph sprint on the flat!

sandwicheater

Why do several riders appear to slow down, or at least make no effort to keep up,

Lazy, plain lazy.

crazy-legs

Why do several riders appear to slow down, or at least make no effort to keep up, when the sprint for the finish starts at about 0:45?

Why are cameras banned?

1) The riders slowing down/peeling off are the leadout guys, the train setting the pace at the front to release the sprinter in the final 200m or so.
    This explains it well:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBgFyKuddRI[/video]

2) Whole host of reasons. Initially it was media rights – the UCI didn’t want teams selling off self-filmed footage which they’d have no control over.
    More realistically in domestic races, there are potential issues with the thing falling off and causing a crash or of a rider trying more dangerous moves or trying to follow a teammate because “it’d look good on camera”. You want the rider concentrating on the race, not the footage they might get of it.

LS
    Free Member

Nys and Compton have dispensation from the UCI but have to sign waivers for each race before the chief commissaire will allow them to ride with them on.
    Sven had all five of his bikes rigged up with them on Saturday.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Funny the Shimano camera on Sven’s bike seemed to cut out on his first lap just before his chain dropped…

tang
    Free Member

I saw them fitting those before the race, they were having problems with the front mount for a bit. Wonder if there is any edited out film of his chain drop? The remount from pits and the rear stairs are ace bits of footage.

jairaj

I love the tripoding @ around 48 seconds in 😆 I would’ve bailed out long ago. Are they allowed to use dropper posts?

Also does he change bike a couple times? I saw what looks like him dumping his current bike and hopping onto another one? Is that a normal thing to do or only when he has punctures?

Sorry if these are noob questions I know nothing about cyclco cross.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Also does he change bike a couple times?

He changed once a lap, some courses have two pits so people can change every half a lap if its really muddy.

Common practice for the pro’s running numerous bikes, less so for us age groupers.

Dropper posts are allowed, or at least not explicitly disallowed, but I’d struggle to see there worth in CX

Macavity
    Free Member

Luke Rowe in Revolution scratch race on Manchester track

Macavity
    Free Member

jairaj

Why don’t they use bikes with better mud clearance? Would they be much slower for some reason or do rules dictate how wide the frame can be?

Regarding the dropper post, they would have better control and instead of free wheeling down the muddy slope they might be able to peddle down it or have less chance of a fall making them faster? or does the extra weight of the dropper post negate this advantage.

Macavity
    Free Member

From about 40 minutes in there is an explanation of tyres and bikes etc

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘On-board camera Sven Nys – UCI Cyclo Cross WC Milton Keynes’ is closed to new replies.