Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • On a budget lightweight 29er race frame – suggestions
  • letmetalktomark

I’m a Luddite at heart.

That means a fleet of steel framed bikes, fat tyres and rigid forks … Several not even suspension corrected.

Regardless of what I build, with the exception of my fat bike, they all weigh between 26 and 30lbs.

It’s flat where I live so gnar bikes aren’t needed coupled with the fact I’m not gnarcore.

I’d like to build a low 20’s racier bike, well sub 25 would be nice.

I don’t think I have the budget for carbon so probably looking at alloy.

100mm fork, decent tyre clearance.

What would suggestions be?

Clink

Trek Superfly.

13thfloormonk

Or a specialized Crave if you can get one second hand, tried my dad’s and it turned me right on to the idea of a 29er hardtail, just felt fast and that’s with a basic Recon fork (although I suspect also with some paper thin Schwalbe tyres…)

I’m look at a Superfly 8 for £1600 which is apparently (Trek’s own weight) 24.25lb.

Bregante

There’s some lefty equipped Cannondale F29 complete bikes on Paulscycles for about £1k. I really fancy a lefty equipped trail rocket.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

What size?

I have an original 19″ Scandal frame & little used slide 29er fork currently set to 80mm that I want to sell, this side of non carbon it’s about as light as it gets.

Cheers.

13thfloormonk

There’s some lefty equipped Cannondale F29 complete bikes on Paulscycles for about £1k. I really fancy a lefty equipped trail rocket.

Or these! I keep looking at those also, Evans also have a 2015 model reduced to £1300…

kilo

Chinese carbon 29er frame, deng fu etc, as a base will be fairly cheap

boxelder

I was gonna say Scandal. Mine’s built as SS and it’s featherweight

superstu
    Free Member

On one parkwood is 4lbs frame only and is cheap?

Clink

On one parkwood is 4lbs frame only and is cheap?

But not a race frame?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I own a parkwood and would agree, nice bike to ride but not really race bike geo. Rode it last week for 100 miles on the Jennride and it was great for all day riding but not really a head down racer.

This Corratec on CRC seems a fair deal, only 1 left tho

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/corratec-super-bow-team-29er-2013/rp-prod89417

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I bought a Felt Nine 30 off ebay and stuck an On-One carbon fork on it. Changed it to 1×10 and it’s light as i need.

The frame is xc race geometry and is pretty competitive on the scales.

I think the entire build cost me about £500 and whikst it’s the cheapest bike i own it’s the one i go to for races and big trips (it has pannier mounts and accommodates all sorts of bikepacking gear.

Magura MT2 brakes are appaling though.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Just done some checking… The stock build is 27.87lb. Remove the heavy forks and stick some rigid carbon up front and you’ll be down to 24.5lb straight off.

Worth a look if you can find one 2nd hand.

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

Some good recommendations.

I’m only looking frame only as I’ve a load of lightweight* stuff to hang off of it.

*well light

Kryton57

I’m look at a Superfly 8 for £1600 which is apparently (Trek’s own weight) 24.25lb.

There’s a 9.7 on sale at Pedalon & Evans at £1450…

yossarian
    Free Member

Canyon make some pretty light hardtails.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

second hand on one lurcher?

djflexure

69er ibis tranny with one one carbon fork might go under 20lb
    I had one a while back and it was a hoot
    Pick the old frames up quite cheap now

Clink

Some interesting reading comparing alu and carbon\:

alu superfly

carbon superfly

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have a Giant XTC 29er in alloy.
    Not made anymore but I am sure you could pick one up fairly cheap.
    Mine is sub 22lbs with a few choice lightweight bits.
    Max

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for Chinese carbon!

jwh
    Free Member

Chinese carbon. Got an ican 29er now on its second season of xc racing going strong.

letmetalktomark

@njee20 …. I was going to drop you a mail as I’m sure I read you had and raced on a Chinese carbon frame 😀

If that’s right which one did you plump for?

Northwind

I have a scandal frame to sell, therefore I propose a Scandal.

jonnyrockymountain

Medium kinesis FF29 frame ? For sale? Email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk if any good to ya

njee20
    Free Member

f that’s right which one did you plump for?

I had one I chose at random off eBay a few years ago. It was good, the geometry was a bit odd – short top tube. That Was only 26″ wheels too.

I’ve now got a Deng Fu road bike, and it’s bloody good. I’d have no qualms recommending them. IIRC they do a 1000g 29er, which is 300g lighter than my Superfly carbon (which I do really like)!

letmetalktomark

Thanks njee20 8)

To all the kind offers touting your wares thank you.

Just testing the water at the moment but 20″ racey frames may not be ignored 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘On a budget lightweight 29er race frame – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.