Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • OMM 2017 – Langdale
  • ajf
    Free Member

Anyone here doing it?

Currently taste testing noodles for overnight camp and weather watching.

I suppose I should be training or something but seems like too much work and lets be honest if I can’t do it now, I won’t be able to do it at the event.

footflaps

Not been in Langdale for a while! Not done one since they were KIMMs, have an old KIMM Langdale map somewhere……

ajf
    Free Member

Wasn’t that back in early 80’s? This year is a bit of a throwback to that as Gerry Charnley planned the course and it 50th year.

Not done it for 9 years myself as its generally not my favourite but its in a great area so looking forward to it.

djtom
    Free Member

Was entered, then a mate decided to get married that day 🙁
    Ended up doing Roc MM instead a couple of weeks ago – it was a cracking weekend in the SW Lakes, but I still wish I could do the OMM. Langdale is a lovely area, but it’s a bit damp there at the moment – it’ll probably be proper OMM weather!

footflaps

Wasn’t that back in early 80’s? This year is a bit of a throwback to that as Gerry Charnley planned the course and it 50th year.

Yes, 85. They used to use the Lakes a lot and then started going to really dull areas like Galloway Forest Park and Hills, which was dull as dish water and had no high camp. Lost interest after that.

Part of the enjoyment was being flooded out of your tent at 3am by heavy rains at high camp, as happened in ’94.

Not that I was every any good, just did C class…

elliptic
    Free Member

I’ll be there stumbling around in the clag somewhere. Hopefully there won’t be three weekend hurricanes in a row…

Evening menu will be couscous lentils & chorizo with a nip of Highland Park to keep the cold out. GF is threatening to bring fairy lights for the tent!

ajf
    Free Member

Aaarrrgghh partner just bailed due to injury.

Anyone fancy a run out next weekend please let me know. Be some long days as in elite.

stevemono
    Free Member

My race partner is now injured and I’m looking for a replacement to do the short score class. I know it’s very short notice but if interested can you send me a few details of your OMM experience and especially of the Lake District – thanks.

footflaps

I know it’s very short notice but if interested can you send me a few details of your OMM experience and especially of the Lake District – thanks.

Which B&B have you booked? If it’s the ODG, then I might be interested….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh not seen this before maybe one for the future !

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Gents … How would OMM compare to Lakes in a Day … which was “ran” a couple of weekends ago?

Distance of OMM is a fair bit longer at 75ish mile to LIAD’s 50 but thats over two days while the elevation gain is similar at 4000m ??

Or am I comparing apples to pears?

Guessing they are different beasts … how so please?

(I say “ran” because as my first mountain marathon/ultra I reckon I only managed to actually run about 4 miles of the 28 to Ambleside, taking 10hours… but blooming loved it… in hindsight 🙂 )

footflaps

Guessing they are different beasts … how so please?

With the OMM you carry everything with you, tent, sleeping bag, food, stove, clothing, etc. So you have several kg of kit on your back. I find that makes quite a difference to how far / fast you can run.

The OMM courses are also pretty tough, they avoid paths so there is a lot of cross country, whereas Lakes in a Day is following the Helvellyn Ridge for a good chunk, which you could drive a car along….

OMM is supposed to be a navigation challenge as well as fell running. More so for the point/score classes than the C/B where there is often a crocodile of people following the ‘obvious’ route.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘OMM 2017 – Langdale’ is closed to new replies.