Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • OMG: Someone has the balls to stick the Vs up at the yanks….
  • GrahamS

Just paint yourself in woad and queue up to follow Mel Gibson will you? Utter and complete starry-eyed bolleaux.

WTF has Mel Gibson got to do with it??
    And which bit exactly is "bolleaux"?

The bit where he says the victim's families may not be able to forgive? Or the bit where he says all of Scotland will remember a Lockerbie??

backhander
    Free Member

Regardless of whether the realease was right or wrong, I'm pleased that the scots are waving the fingers at the yanks. Well done, and let's hope many learn from it.

falkirk-mark

Regardless of whether the realease was right or wrong, I'm pleased that the scots are waving the fingers at the yanks. Well done, and let's hope many learn from it.

Quite, I do not think Scotland should account for it's laws just because the Yanks think our legal system is flawed . If their legal system was that good all the states would not have their own laws

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I'd far rather have the Scottish government's even-handed and principled approach than suffer the sight of Cameron falling over himself fawning, bowing and scraping in his haste to rewrite history and kiss America's collective ringpiece. Junior partner indeed.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Scottish politicians – parochial doesn't begin to describe their corner shop view of the world.

I'm thinking that someone in Bristol probably isn't going to be best equipped to comment on the contours of Scottish politics.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

Ah! more scottish bashing from the engerlish.
    The reason Scotland still exists is because half of us are all f'ing mental.
    You could never wipe us out, so settled for a flawed union instead.
    Still makes me proud to be Scottish when I see the Engerlish prime minister squirm to the yanks and forget his history(how f'ing embarrassing).
    Oh OBAMA, OBAMA! IT WAS THEM, NOT US, IT WAS THEM SCOTTISH PEOPLE THAT SET HIM FREE, WE WERE JUST A JUNIOR PARTY TO THEM, SO IT WAS THE SCOTS, NOT US.
    (obama) It's o.k David, trade sanctions for Scotland are just around the corner.
    (obama) Fancy a scotch on the rocks Dave?
    (Dangerous Dave) No, but I fancy throwing rocks at the scots, because they only gave us one measly mp.
    But I'll have to just settle for throwing more of the haggis munching brigade on the dole instead(giggles).

aP
    Free Member

Not that he had anything to do with Lockerbie anyway, just a pawn thrown to us to open Libya to the world trade.
    Do you think the yanks are still sore that they haven't got a piece of the next oil megafield?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

QUOTE: #
    druidh – Member

Aye – much better if we'd bow down and lick Obamas shoes like your weasily English Prime Minister eh?
    Posted 3 hours ago #
    UNQUOTE.

Blair, Brown, CAMERON…no more jocks! 😛

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

steffybhoy – Member

Ah! more scottish bashing from the engerlish.
    The reason Scotland still exists is because half of us are all f'ing mental.
    You could never wipe us out, so settled for a flawed union instead.

Half of you may well be 'f'ing mental', the other half of you are English.

The union was actually 'your' idea. You were skint, we were not. Fast forward 300 years and plus ca change!

konabunny
    Free Member

I do not think Scotland should account for it's laws just because the Yanks think our legal system is flawed . If their legal system was that good all the states would not have their own laws

It's not a questioning of the law – it's a questioning of the decision to release him and whether it was taken corruptly.

Your second comment about the federal structure just shows how silly you are and your ignorance of American history (and British history if you want to consider why Scotland and England have different laws).

Who is Mel Gibson?

He's an American who moved to Australia so his brother wouldn't get drafted into the Vietnam War, and later went on to make a number of movies which are militaristic pish (Gallipoli, The Patriot, We Were Soldiers, Braveheart, Air America etc). He also starred in What Women Want and later went on to be investigated for domestic violence.

falkirk-mark

It's not a questioning of the law – it's a questioning of the decision to release him and whether it was taken corruptly.

I really do not think that any Scottish ministers would release such a high profile prisoner corruptly. And I am not surprised they are not going to the US especially after watching that shambles with Tony Hayward the other week. (but do not worry "call me Dave" will be over there being his bitchsmoothing things over with Obama)

uplink
    Free Member

WTF has Mel Gibson got to do with it??

Do you still have that Wallace statue that bears a uncanny resemblance to Mel Gibson?
    I seem to remember they were going to redo it so it looked a bit more 14th century Scotland & a bit less 20th century Holywood

konabunny
    Free Member

I really do not think that any Scottish ministers would release such a high profile prisoner corruptly.

Why not? Are the Scottish politicians any better than the Westminster ones filling their boots on expenses and voting for illegal wars?

epicyclo

If the USA senators wish to discuss the release I'm sure they would be welcome to come over here to fact find.

Trying to summon the ministers of another country is arrogant and ignorant.

bravohotel9er – Member
    The union was actually 'your' idea. You were skint, we were not. Fast forward 300 years and plus ca change!

So why were massive bribes paid to the Scottish nobility to bring it off?

LHS
    Free Member

If you put aside your hatred of Americans and look at things from the opposite point of view. If a plane full of scottish people was blown up over America, the terrorist was found guilty and locked up, you would feel like justice had been served. You then find out that they release him and he returns home to a heros welcome, you would feel pretty ****ed off about that.

alex222
    Free Member

all of the people saying it shameful…. you do know that the usa funded the ira as well as harbouring ira bombers and not extroditing them back to the uk. they can hardly take the moral high ground now can they. what about funding israel and allowing them to continue to carry out genocide and mass murder? how about breaking the geneva convention to go to war without provication? torturing suspected terrorists with no evidence? or causing environmental disaster countless tmes without cleaning up after themselves? whats shameful is the uk or more england bending over backwards to back up a bunch of egotistical, moronic, morally void, glory hogging idiots frankly.

LHS
    Free Member

If someone else jumped off a cliff would you do the same? Doesn't matter what anyone else did really does it? You are judged by your own actions.

Woody
    Free Member

LOL – still arguing about stuff that happened hundreds of years ago.

The US has been urged to boycott Scottish products and go to Ireland on holiday instead. Scotch Whisky exports to the US are worth £350 million a year. The UK is the biggest single importer of Jack Daniels so two can play at that game 😉

I like this pic of 2 protesters who are having a nice fun day out. I particularly like the camp wearing of the Tam O' Shanter and updating of traditional dress with a fetching shoulder bag.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The small minded little Englanders have really outed themselves here.

I'd rather be a new testamentarian " turn the other cheek" and be merciful than an old testamentarian "an eye for an eye"and be vengefull and full of hate.

I understand peoples anger over this – but that doesn't make the decision wrong that a some of the victims families are angry and a few USA politicos are after making some political capital

I especially love the confusion over jurisdictions and events

Blair brokered a tawdry prisoner exchange agreement with Libya – not realising that the lockerbie bomber could not be released under that scheme – this is where the whiff of corruption is. The release under compassionate grounds might have been convenient to avoid an appeal but no one with any degree of sanity would believe that an SNP minister would do a UK PM a favour like that.

enfht
    Free Member

Highlighting American bad practice to "even out" the argument really does say it all. Two wrongs eh?

cynic-al
    Free Member

This thread like no other highlights the great work the press and others have done in defecting folk from the real issues here.

hora
    Free Member

Lets not forget the combat medals awarded to the personnel involved in the shooting down on a civilian Iranian jet AFTER it became clear some 300 civilians had been killed. You can still find video footage etc of woman and children being fished out of the sea.

Go team America.

GrahamS

Do you still have that Wallace statue that bears
    a uncanny resemblance to Mel Gibson?

The one at the Wallace Monument? Removed in 2008 after being repeatedly vandalised by people of excellent taste.

WTF you think this has to do with any of this tho I don't know?

You and other English (or at least non-Scots) on this thread seem to be suggesting that the Scots are a bit uppity for not scurrying over to curtsey before the yanks and that we should know our place.

LHS
    Free Member

seem to be suggesting that the Scots are a bit uppity for not scurrying over to curtsey before the yanks

If the so called politicians had any meat about them then they would go over and unequivocally prove that the decision they took was the correct one, had nothing to do with any Libian or BP deal and then walk away with their heads held high. Instead they've picked up their football and gone home saying we're not playing anymore. If you make the big decisions then you need to stand up and defend them if questioned.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Lets not forget the combat medals awarded to the personnel involved in the shooting down on a civilian Iranian jet<

Quite – the level of US hypocrisy is staggering.

How many Scots were wiped out in this – 11 / 12? Do you think Mcaskill and Co conveniently forgot about that?

hora
    Free Member

Iranian passenger jet shot down = $62 million in compensation paid by the US with no admission of responsibility or apology to Iran.

Lockerbie = Close to $2billion extracted out of Libya.

Lets get one thing straight. ALOT OF INNOCENT PEOPLE DIED. Why was there no apology from the US?

Are they that arrogant?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LHS – no politician of gravitas would allow themselves to be summoned byt a couple of grandstanding US senators.

The decision was explained at the time and has been again. Its very clear

All the documentation the Scottish government can release has been – the only documents not are the ones the UK and USA government refused to release and the personal medical information which is rightly confidential.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

This is not simply an "American tragedy", although they were the most prevalent nation aboard the plane itself. Al Megrahi was referred to as the Lockerbie Bomber because the bombed plane crashed into the Scottish village of Lockerbie and killed many people there, leaving a huge furrow in the ground where a street full of people's homes used to be.

I'm not really surprised that there are US politicians who are seeking to make capital our if this, but saddened to see another British prime minister capitulate in such a tawdry fashion to the whims of the US President. I've grown used to hearing about the, usually tragic, consequences of the American inability to understand distinctions between different countries and cultures – i guess we're seeing that played out in our own situation now. Druidh began the thread with a joking reference to 'carpet bombing' but it's not difficult to see how these situations have deteriorated in other countries to the point where military action has been taken by the US.

The American propensity to debate situations with little concern for critical rigour is such a common feature of their domestic politics, and it's become increasingly prevalent in their foreign affairs as well. The recent sacking of a black American politician for racism – based in an online video from a right- wing blogsite which was later shown to have been heavily edited to portray the victim as having views diametrically opposed to what she actually said – suggests that Obama's administration is even more media driven and image obsessed than Blair ever was. Now they're posturing to try and infer links between the new folk-demon BP and the Scottish government's decision to release al Megrahi – doesn't this all sound a bit familiar? Next thing we know they'll be claiming there's clear evidence of WMD round the Holy Loch and assembling a task force from the coalition of the willing.

GrahamS

If the so called politicians had any meat about them then they would go over and unequivocally prove that the decision they took was the correct one

Our law was applied. The man was released.
    What is there to prove?

They may not agree with our laws. That's fine.
    They may not agree with the release. That's fine too.

Do you reckon they'd come over here to explain one of their justice decisions to us? Not **** likely.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit it is abit sad when you get a UK politician quickly flying across and talking of 'special relationships'.

A UK politician with balls would invite and expect the President to come here.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Pictures from a recent CIA briefing on insurgent activity in the Glasgow region of Scotland, discussing whether the prevalence of wee shiites poses threat to US interests

hora
    Free Member

How is the US going to punish Scotland?

Oh let me see, turn them into human shields effectively by putting missile shields/first line of defence for the US on European soil.

cupra
    Free Member

ditch-jockey – I love that post 🙂

br
    Free Member

For me this 'exercise' is another good example of why politicians should not be involved in justice, nor make decisions for when (or not) to release convicted 'persons'.

And this current furrow is 100% US porkbelly politics anyway, no doubt fanned by BP's competitors.

And the boy, Dave, should be made to make a public apology at Heathrow in regard to his 1940 gaff. I wonder which junior boy wrote his history homework for him that term?

konabunny
    Free Member

they can hardly take the moral high ground now can they.

So it's not the suggestion that the accusation that the release was a stitch-up to get BP back into Libya that upsets you, it's the people who are asking the question?

they can hardly take the moral high ground now can they. what about funding israel and allowing them to continue to carry out genocide and mass murder? how about breaking the geneva convention to go to war without provication? torturing suspected terrorists with no evidence? or causing environmental disaster countless tmes without cleaning up after themselves?

What with all this talk of assistance to repressive regimes, torture of suspected terrorists with no evidence and causing environmental disaster*, which "they" are you talking about? The US Senate or the British Parliament?

"They can hardly take the moral high ground now, can they"?

* Shell is incorporated in England, joint-headquartered in London, traded on the LSE and its JV partner in the Niger Delta for many years was British Petroleum, and the pollution began under British colonial rule.

enfht
    Free Member

You and other English (or at least non-Scots) on this thread seem to be suggesting that the Scots are a bit uppity for not scurrying over to curtsey before the yanks and that we should know our place.

Not at all, I applaud you jocks for not folding under yanky pressure but the fact still stands that the "deal" resulting in a hero's welcome to that murdering bastard is highly regrettable and embarrassing for a nation trying to show it can stand on it's own two feet.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would not be prepared to take a lecture on justice from a country that has the death penalty [for minors* and the mentally ill] has held people without trial in Gunatanamo Bay, supported the IRA terrorists and is currently trying to extradite someone with Aspergers for spying.
    They should get their own house in order before they have the arrogance/stupidity to criticise someone else judical system.
    I cannot think why any soverign nation [scotland is over this issue]would turn up in another country to explain their actions and I am certain that the USA would not be doing the same. The statement seems clear to me why they released him

My error the liberated beacon of jurisprudence abolished this in 2005

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

So it's not the suggestion that the accusation that the release was a stitch-up to get BP back into Libya that upsets you, it's the people who are asking the question?

Other Scots may have a different perspective, but for my part, it's the irritation stemming from the seeming inability on both sides of the Atlantic to be able to differentiate between the Scots and English legal systems, and that any potential deal between BP and Westminster over the prisoner exchange scheme – which the Scottish Parliament rejected – is a completely separate matter from the decision to release Al Megrahi on compassionte grounds because he was confirmed to be terminally ill by one of the foremost oncologists in the world.

Feel free to harangue us for having a legal system that enshrines compassion, accuse us of naivety about the realities of international terrorism, even tell us we're all fat and eat too many deep fried mars bars, but FFS don't keep trying to conflate our processes with allegations of dirty deals done between Westminster and Libya.

geoffj

but FFS don't keep trying to conflate our processes with allegations of dirty deals done between Westminster and Libya.

Amen to that

GrahamS

Not at all, I applaud you jocks for not folding under yanky pressure but the fact still stands that the "deal" resulting in a hero's welcome to that murdering bastard is highly regrettable and embarrassing for a nation trying to show it can stand on it's own two feet.

I don't find the decision to show compassion particularly "regrettable".
    His subsequent welcome home party was. But that was hardly our doing.

And if you don't think this is Scotland getting a bit uppity then kindly explain this phrase you used earlier:

Mel Gibson really does have a lot to answer for.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘OMG: Someone has the balls to stick the Vs up at the yanks….’ is closed to new replies.