• This topic has 34 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by luket.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • OMG aren't ticks minging' ?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve never seen one in the flesh but had the pleasure of finding one on our outdoor cat earlier. Made me feel proper bilious it did. 🙁

I removed it as per the recommended procedure and then incinerated it (not the cat).

Hideous.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I only saw one for the first time this year on a friend’s dog and I have to agree, they are every bit as gross as I imagined.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Yes, dirty little feckers.

rudyard197
    Free Member

GF had 3 so far this year, daughter 2. Dog countless. Proper issue now.

Yak

Nasty little buggers. Both my lad and I have had antibiotics for lymes this year. Lots of ticks about it seems.

bigh
    Free Member

Recently went on holiday to Exmoor, we had the tick treatment for the dogs but forgot to use it beforehand so we applied it when we got home. Basically it kills the ticks after they attach themselves to the dogs and they fall out. We found out the hard way that dead ticks are far more preferable when small and empty rather than full of blood. We found them on the stair carpet, on the furniture, on the bed……yeuch
    I can’t think of ticks and not remember that bit in Stephen Kings IT (the book not film), the bit with the fridge at the dump, oh dear.

dovebiker

2 dogs that get walked daily in open countryside means a tick inspection is a post-walk ritual – at times this summer we’d find 5 or 6 on each animal. Occassionally find one that’s drunks its fill and fallen on the carpet. FWIW tick-twister removers are the best tool for the job – others usually result in leaving the head parts embedded and a resultant infection.

wallop

I find worms more grim…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Outdoor cat?

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve been lucky somehow. Neither me or the Mrs have had them, and my kids got one each in Germany and Dolgellau.

unklehomered
    Free Member

tick-twister removers are the best tool for the job

This.

Below, our best of the year 2017 – that’s a 10p

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wait till you somehow manage to get a **** tick latched onto your nipple (not a spokey type nipple either) Boy did that sting getting it off with a twister.

I find worms more grim…

Worms are great! Here’s me with me worm…..

The ragworm in the bottom shot was about 15″ long, & some of it had broken off!

But I digress, again.

Ticks are orrible!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

^^ fishing??

twicewithchips
    Free Member

unklehomered – that’s a beast! Please say that wasn’t on a human.

augustuswindsock

Hello Jimmy, are you still riding that old Fleet?

whitestone
    Free Member

Have had a fair few on me due to working on the family farm.

A couple of years ago my brother had one in his belly button 😯

markshires
    Free Member

Are ticks about all year round? Or are they only during the summer months like midges?

vongassit
    Free Member

A few years ago me bruv found one on his scrote. He was having a shower & thought he’d found a tumour.

Imagine his releif , Lol’s

gerti
    Free Member

Yup! First one I ever had was a few days sucking old before my 3 yo found it in my belly button. In my defence, we were on a sailing holiday and showers were several days apart. I’ve had a few since, due to frequenting Lochaline and Salen most summers, but none as big as that first blighter! But I guess we are pretty good about tick checks after walks ashore these days.

No lymes disease symptoms so far…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hello Jimmy, are you still riding that old Fleet?

I certainly am Augustus! Never ever get rid of ‘trusty rusty’!

chip
    Free Member

I have recently developed an irrational fear of ticks.
    My uncle recommended walking as a way of getting out the house more as suffering depression.

So I bought some boots and some lightweight waterproofs then happened upon an article on ticks and lymes and now won’t go as I fear every blade of long grass has a disease carrying tick atop of it waiting to condemn me to a lifetime of undiagnosed chronic illness.

This is despite previously living a very outdoorsie life and only ever seeing one tick on a hedgehog that found its way into the garden.

dantsw13

For dogs- bravecto

Phil_H

Horid things. The first tick I found had attached itself to my scrotum 😯
    Mrs H found it highly amusing. Me, not so much.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve had to remove a tick from foreskin.

Edit: overshare?

crankboy
    Free Member

On a Romantic holiday to a cottage on isleen shone my personal tick count for the week was 17 personal worst location was the end of my kxxb. Luckily no adverse residue other than my wife’s very ingrained fear of ticks and irrational belief they can sprout wings and fly . The next year in the same area a weird bug flew into her ” get it off me its a tick ” it can’t be a tick it has wings ” get it off me it’s a flying tick ” she has a first in biology and a masters in environmental science!

wwaswas

I’ve had to remove a tick from foreskin

your own or someone elses?

turboferret

My dad had one in his arse-crack 😮

Yak

Get some Smidge on you. No-one wants a tick on their foreskin/arse-crack/scrotum, or anywhere really.

Worms are better anyway. Just a quick shot of mebendazole and you are done.

obelix
    Free Member

Was up on a shooting estate in the Ladder Hills last year with my dog. Spent the night pulling ticks off him, stopped counting at 60!

bigjim

You get used to them, I used to get several a week as a teenager, must have had hundreds of them.

My dad used to live in Africa and one of his nostrils became blocked, turned out an elephant tick had crawled up there…

unklehomered
    Free Member

unklehomered – that’s a beast! Please say that wasn’t on a human.

That was on my hound, he collects them.

I’ve had to remove a tick from foreskin.

I think at that point I would just kill myself.

WildHunter2009

Where on earth do people live? Spent most of my life in the country and I’ve seen maybe 2 or 3 in my life? Maybe I have really bad tasting blood?

km79
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a dozen or so at a time before, if you happen to be in a spot where there’s been a recent hatching you can get covered in the little tiny ones. The larva are so small it’s unlikey you would ever notice them feeding on you, the nymphs are about as big as a poppy seed and also difficult to spot (these are the most likely ones you are bitten by) adults are not much bigger until they’ve had a feed.

bigjim

I would get them every ride growing up in the highlands, so several a week for my teenage years, get them in my parents garden too. Loads round here in edinburgh/borders too. As above the tiny nymph ones are the worst, you don’t see them at all then a few days later you feel one on your gooch or something and realise you’re covered in them.

luket

Pretty common on our dogs (Devon), and I often find multiple ticks on a dog, but unusual in Northants where we also spend a bit of time. I’ve only had 2 or 3 bite me in my life though.

The “O’Tom” remover I find the best by a long way. It’s very easy to remove them cleanly with those.

Drops and collars we think reduce the instances a bit but far from eliminate.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘OMG aren't ticks minging' ?’ is closed to new replies.