Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • OMFG! Bloodhound SSC is parked outside the office!
  • IHN

I can go and have a proper look at 11 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Have the left the keys in it ?

Can you stash your GPS in it and get a few KOM’s ?

T1000
    Free Member

Like to see you ask for a couple of hundred litres of HTP at the tesco’s garage

scuttler

Lucky git. Can you see if they’ve printed my kids names on the tailfin yet? They’re not called Castrol or Royce.

JAG

Pictures please 8)

nickjb
    Free Member

Sorry to shatter your plans of a rapid trip to the shops but it is probably the 1:1 scale model (unless your office is inside a shed in avonmouth). They’d also need to have really cracked on with assembly as the shell was in for paint a few days ago.

matt_outandabout

Pictures please

nickjb
    Free Member

For pics it’s worth going to ‘the bloodhound project’ Facebook page. Lots of pics of the guts which are far more interesting to us geeks.

scuttler

I fully expect it will be the mock-up. Still proper exciting though.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just stand stand around with a marshmallow on a stick looking hopeful.

Dobbo

Yeah pics needed, how can it just be parked outside your office?? ❓

tomhoward

My, my dads and grandads names are written on the side of it somewhere. Be a dear and check?

Lucas
    Free Member

Are they dick and harry?

tomhoward

😆

A less hilarious Steven and Roy unfortunately!

piemonster

Yeah pics needed, how can it just be parked outside your office??

It’ll be on a fundraising/awareness tour. It came to my workplace a year or so ago.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/u7asrZ]Bloodhound[/url] by piemonster, on Flickr

footflaps

I’d like to see them drive it over the speed bumps in our business park, plus the turning circle will be terrible. And it doesn’t even have wing mirrors…..

Dobbo

It’ll be on a fundraising/awareness tour.

Pretty cool, I’d never heard of it before this thread.

sv

And it doesn’t even have wing mirrors….

Who is going to be overtaking it 🙂

wwaswas

Who is going to be overtaking it

Daz from sales.

scuttler

Daz from sales.

‘musin.

matt_outandabout

For those not aware, get a good brew on and watch this. Proper British boffin time.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4AyytkpiB0[/video]

IHN

Okay, so, I’ve been for a look.

It is the mockup ( slight 🙁 ), but it’s still pretty cool. No names on it, they’re on the real thing apparently.

It’s there because the building I work at in Swindon is the old Burma Castrol head office, and we share it with some BP/Castrol folks (I’m here working for the building society what is famous for the woods behind it, which in my case are actually down the road a bit).

Fun fact: it’s got three engines; a jet engine from a typhoon(!), a rocket engine and a Jaguar engine who’s sole purpose is to pump 800 litres of fuel to the rocket engine in 20 seconds…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Brilliant video that.

leffeboy

Yep. That video, especially the flight 😯

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

lol @ Lucas

CountZero

Dobbo – Member
    It’ll be on a fundraising/awareness tour.
    Pretty cool, I’d never heard of it before this thread.

😯

tomhoward

I could listen to that boffin talk forever and if Andy Green was talking me through, I reckon there isn’t much I couldn’t do.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I now feel ashamed to admit I’d never heard of this before. Looks ace. Will keep an eye on it from now on. Top thread.

deejayen
    Free Member

It’s new to me too!

I know nothing about flying or aeroplanes, but watching the Chris Harris video has me curious… What make/model is the ‘stunt’ plane, and how much would it cost? Not that I’m looking to buy…

Mikkel
    Free Member

Looks like an Extra 300

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks very much.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Saw it at Wilton Classic and Supercar show at the weekend. Big beast isn’t it?

andyl
    Free Member

what happened to the Cosworth engine they were going to use for the fuel pump?

toppers3933
    Free Member

My understanding of the video up there is that jag wanted to be involved so they switched it to a jag engine. He says that the cosworth engine was smaller but because it revved so high there was no other advantage to using it.

scuttler

The video above suggests one of a couple of possibilities:

– car engine is more tolerant so can suck up decelerated and hot air with more willingness

– jaguar is a big name, deep pockets sponsor who wanted an in, so the project changed whereas they’d probably picked up the Cosworth on ebay (easy come easy go)

Of course this car ought to and now does have major ‘UK-ish’ car manufacturer written all over it. If it doesn’t get smashed to a million pieces over South Africa I expect and hope it’ll end up next to Thrust2 and ThrustSSC in Coventry Transport Museum.

squirrelking
    Free Member

jaguar is a big name, deep pockets sponsor who wanted an in, so the project changed whereas they’d probably picked up the Cosworth on ebay (easy come easy go)

You what?

Aside from deeper pockets Jaguar have nothing to offer that Cosworth haven’t been doing for years. The real reason seems to be that the rocket motor was changed and so Cosworth dropped out when they stopped producing the F1 engines and Jag took over. It was an amicable split rather than Jag muscling in.

tomhoward

Pretty sure it’s that the F1 engine is much more highly strung and more sensitive to less than perfect conditions. And that by swapping the reducer gear round they could get the same performance, more reliably, from a regular (ish) car engine. Then jag stepped in.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The more I think about what he’s got to get into and do, the bigger I realise Andy Green’s balls are!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Soooo….. did it get a clamp?

shermer75
    Free Member

So the the car is going on display in London apparently (tickets all sold out). I’m getting pretty excited about the whole projects!

There are so many different aspects that blow my mind, so here is one of them: the wheels

So much more to it than you would have thought!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘OMFG! Bloodhound SSC is parked outside the office!’ is closed to new replies.