• This topic has 27 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cp.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Omelette frustration
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My wife makes me an omelette and it tastes lovely and looks lovely.

Today she is doing the xmas shopping so I have to make my own lunch. I get all the same ingredients and end up with something that tastes strange and looks like a car crash. Grr…

Okay, not the best rant but it is nearly Christmas so lets be happy

glenp
    Free Member

You did break the eggs, right? You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You did pre-heat the pan till the oil was, like, proper smoking?

jon1973
    Free Member

You can't have a rant about something you've done youself. It's against the rules.

Wee in your own shoes.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Of course I broke the eggs, I break everything I touch.

Eggs, bacon, onions, cheese, mushrooms.

Oil? What Oil? Doesn't the butter and fat from pre-frying the mushrooms and bacon count?

nickc

that's why it looks like road kill…

Kahurangi

Yes. Then cook slowly on a non-stick pan. It cooks through and no need for stirring or touching.

grynch
    Free Member

did you let the eggs set before you put your other bits in?

cp

noooo, you need LOADS of oil 🙂 for a really good one, you need a good layer in the bottom of the pan…

keep the eggs moving in the pan until they start to set, then load in the rest of the filling.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just can't care about the way my omlette looks, it usually comes out looking like scrambled eggs with bits.Always tastes the same and fills the same hole.

nimrod2410
    Free Member

How many eggs?

2 eggs are never an oeuf.

Shall I leave now?

grynch
    Free Member

warton
    Free Member

Then cook slowly on a non-stick pan. It cooks through and no need for stirring or touching.

Mmmm rubbery…. how not to cook an omelette!

hot pan, butter, not oil. eggs in, use a fork to give it a good going over in the first 30 seconds of cooking, leave on heat for 1 minute.Add Cheese. Fold over. another 45 seconds. Omelette. Done.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Always butter.

coffeeking
    Free Member

30 seconds of cooking, leave on heat for 1 minute.Add Cheese. Fold over. another 45 seconds. Omelette. Done.

That sounds like raw egg in a cooked egg packet. Bleugh

warton
    Free Member

strange, cause when i made about 20 a day for 6 months in a hotel I never had one complaint…

Pook

mine always look like puke

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Don't try and fluff the mixture in the pan, ends up like scrambled eggs!

It's something the chefs tell you to do, so you screw it up and end up buying their book to learn how to do it!

There is no need, just get loads of air in the mix before you put it in the pan, while still runny in the middle fold into pouch then cook for a minute then flop out, sorted!

grievoustim
    Free Member

lots of hot olive oil – butter will just burn at that sort of heat

pour your egg mix in – then use a wooden spoon to drag the cooked egg into the middle of the pan, the runny egg will then run onto the hot pan surface and cook itself.

you should have a nearly cooked omlette in about 30 secs

add your cheese to the top, and fold over – leave a few seconds to melt the cheese and cook any remaining raw egg

warton
    Free Member

butter will just burn at that sort of heat

Not if you're quick enough it won't, it may go a bit nutty, but theres nothing wrong with that

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't try and fluff the mixture in the pan, ends up like scrambled eggs!

This I don't agree with – French omelettes (which are the fluffy ones I believe) are nicer in presentation and also cook more quickly. I always do them like that and don't have any problems. I guess the trick is to only fluff them up until they have partially set – if you carry on fluffing (ahem) it will end up like scrambled eggs as it can't bind together once fully cooked.

Bunnyhop

I separate my egg whites and yolks. Whisk the whites up, add the yolks and gently fold.
    Put the pan on a highish heat, pop in a knob of butter, when it's melted put in the beaten eggs, with some nicely grated cheese on top.
    A few minutes into the cooking, fold said omelette and serve when a golden brown colour ( not burnt).
    Voila.

grynch
    Free Member

*chuckle* where else but STW could you get 20+ posts arguing over how to make an omelette.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I put the eggs into a tupperware box and shake violently. It fluffs the eggs up beautifully, plenty of air in them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone mentioning "oil" and "omelette" needs to go back to school. Butter every time!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I put the eggs into a tupperware box and shake violently. It fluffs the eggs up beautifully, plenty of air in them.

Doesn't it melt the plastic?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Bunnyhop speaks the truth – that's the correct method for creating very light thick omelettes.

Heat the butter until it very gently starts to bubble and then reduce the heat just enough so the bubbles stop forming but still remain.

No more than a couple of minutes and then fold and leave to firm through for a few seconds.

Voila.

cp

i use half butter and half oil. the oil seems to help prevent the butter burning.

only takes about a minute or two to cook an omlette… anything longer you get a proper weird thick and crispy on the outside crust going on. no need at all for non-stick pans either.

move the egg round till it starts to set then stop moving it round. you wont get 'scrambled eggs' if you do this.

fluffy omlettes??? southerner…..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Omelette frustration’ is closed to new replies.