Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Omega Seamaster – any good reason not to ?
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Ah, quite amusing but sorry, being a traditionalist, Bond in the books alway wore a Rolex, and always drove a Bentley. I'm OK with the Aston in the early films, but can't accept all this new revenue driven product placement stuff like Jaguar etc

prettygreenparrot

The seamaster is a nice watch. I wanted one of the anniversary Apollo Speedmasters but just too pricey at the time.

Quartz, pah! Get an automatic. Otherwise you're paying a fortune for a flashy case for a cheap, 'clicky' movement. And you'll regret it each time you see the lumpen clicking of the second hand rather than a gentle sweeping.

Is Omega part of the Swatch group along with Tissot? You can get similar movements in lots of other watches. Wikipedia netry on ETA movement in Omega watches

iainc

okay, just back home and the proud owner of one 😆

I went for the full size one, blue, quartz. Some will approve some won't going by the interest this thread has generated.

Thanks to all your contributions – lots of very helpful stuff. (the final decision on the quartz was as it is seems a little thinner in profile)

br
    Free Member

And when (we are MTBers after all) you break your wrist, it will spend the rest of its life in your bedside drawer…

Harry_the_Spider

I've had a Seamaster Pro (blue) for 8 years. Worn it everyday and there isn't a mark on the face.

They advise that you don't wear them for impact sports such as golf or squash. I wear a G-Shock when i'm out on the bike.

Fantastic bit of kit but don't expect it to be the most accurate. Mine drops 6 seconds a day.

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Early omegas = Nice
    Later Omegas = No so nice, you can get a better watch for simalar money, or but a vintage Omega the newer ones are cheap and not the same quality and worn by Del boy types.

Rolex were used in early bond films up to live and let die.
    After this Cubby broccolli asked Rolex to pay for the privilege,
    Rolex told him where to stuff it!

P.S Before you all go on about the Omega Moon watch.
    Omega payed NASA for the privilege and Armtstong did, and still does not rate the watch prefering still to wear a Rolex which he bought with his own money Aldrin too.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

ive got a great seamaster america cup edition..black face crono.i love it although the servicing is dear(£300)….but only every other year so not bad…never leaves my wrist.

just scratched it recently so thatll cost im guessing…i use toothpaste to clean it…brings it up right shiny!

br
    Free Member

TBH I really struggle with paying for style/marketing over form/function.

My phone tells the time very accurately, and I've always it with me. If I just wanted something pretty, then I'd buy fashion watches for a few quid and lob them as and well. And even before trashing my wrist I never spent more than £100 on a watch.

Its like guys I know/knew; they'd buy Boss suits, mine I'd get made-to-measure from either a backstreet tailor or in the Far East – cheaper, better made and would last – they'd drive new BMW's/Merc's, me Vauxhalls – all the same in a queue.

But they use to bitch about their mortgages, we never moved up the 'chain'; and their kids went to the local comp where they worried, whereas mine went private – because I could afford it as I didn't pay out for an overpriced lifestyle.

Suppose its all about values really… 😕

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Well iainc? Did you get one?

EDIT Oops, just read above. I hope you get as much pleasure from yours as mine has given me.

BB

derek_starship
    Free Member

Oh no – you've gone and spent loads of money on a quartz watch?

There is no real watchmakers art in a quartz movement. You've bought yourself an electronic oscillator with dividing circuits linked to a stepper motor. There are no tiny toothed wheels (not may anyway), no jewels, no escapement. What have you done?

DS (sniff)

grantway
    Free Member

Omega are one of the best time keepers Buy it

alwyn
    Free Member

In Surrey every man and his dog has one.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Rocketdog36 – Member

P.S Before you all go on about the Omega Moon watch.
    Omega payed NASA for the privilege

No they didn't. NASA bought six brands of watch from a local jeweller (including a Rolex). The Omega was the only one to stand up to the tests.

You may not like them but it's best not to make things up.

Tiger6791

In Surrey every man and his dog has one.

Nearly true, I live in Surrey and I've got a Speedmaster, the dog has got a G-Shock

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

My girlfriend bought me a watch last month for my birthday, looked at Omegas but saw one of these and had to choose this, it looks a lot better in real life and was a lot cheaper than the Omega/Tag that I was looking at. The quality is fantastic and the history of Seiko is quite impressive!!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Good choice KKF. That's a fine watch.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaaah DS, how's the tummy?

armchairbiker

I recommend Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Classic and timeless. I wear mine all the time

If you want it to look good over the years – don't do blue. In fact don't do the cheapest Omega or a Rolex – save up and get a good one.

You won't regret it

nicko74

Check out tz-uk.com; and, if you decide to buy, watchfinder is a good source for discounts.
    Go for it – it's like a carbon or Ti bike in that every time you look at it you'll be reminded how great it is!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Omega Seamaster – any good reason not to ?’ is closed to new replies.