Omega Planet Ocean

Home Forum Chat Forum Omega Planet Ocean

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Omega Planet Ocean
  • deserter

is that watch really 5k?

smcicr

Got an older version (42mm) with the steel strap and black dial. Bought with a LOT of tesco clubcard vouchers back when Goldsmiths were doing the 4x offer 😉

My advice would be to make sure you try it on and be sure it’s the right size for your wrist – the 45mm version was too big and looked daft on me.

If it’s second hand I’d also make sure its serviced, has the original box and paperwork / card with it.

Full services are about £330 or so hence the suggestion above.

Other than that – if you like it – go for it!

taxi25

Looks fantastic, I love watches and that ones on my to want list. If it’s a lifes ambition and one comes up at the right price go for it.
    I shudder to think what I loose on bikes but I’ve never lost on buying and selling watches. Probably one of the best value hobbies I’ve ever had.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

is that watch really 5k?

No, that one was only £4k when current 😯

Thanks smcicr, all docs present and will check service history. Bit dubious on rubber strap though, would prefer leather. Meh, just do it eh?!

wolfenstein

I love omega 😳 ,can i steer you in seamasters direction

stevieeeh

The price of the PO shot up when they put the Omega calibre in (I think it is the first one made in house for a long time…)

I managed to get one of the earlier ones just before they stopped making them, was a hell of a lot cheaper and a lot thinner (which suits my skinny wrists!).

You should be able to pick up one of the earlier ones up second hand for a price well below 5k!

Edit: If you actually have one in mind, (I saw the one you linked to is an earlier model) try and check which calibre it is. You want either a 2500c or 2500d (the last one they made). I’d stay away from the 2500a and b movements.

I have a 42mm Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronometer and love it to bits!
    It was a 30th birthday present to myself… If I remember correctly it was “only” £2400, and i’m sure the battery operated equivalent was only £1800. So far as extravagant purchases go, I’ve done worse. I plan to have this for the rest of my life 🙂

Subscriber

I was in Argos today, about to buy a Seiko watch (I haven’t had a watch for years).

I then went mad, and went to a jewelers to try on my childhood-desire watches (Omega).

I then realised I don’t have £5k.

I can get one of these s/h though…

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/planet-ocean/29095091

Will I look like a tool? I kinda like it, but don’t know if I’m being blinded by impulse-buying, or maybe it is my inner-commoner coming to the fore?

Honest opinions appreciated!

Subscriber

stevieeeh, thanks for that – I’ll be sure to check! (Off to view one tomorrow morning 🙂 )

wrightyson

Love mine, exact same watch but on the orange croc strap. Subsequently bought the black rubber and the orange neoprene straps as the croc one was in all honesty shit! Wear it for everything bar work (building industry) and riding. Automatic movement is just lovely.

seanoc

Always wanted one but after the pre-purchase chat with a salesman I put it right back. +/- 15 seconds a week and guaranteed waterproof for only 12 months from purchase/service; I just couldn’t do it.

Aus

My wife got me this a few years back (titanium one!)

second hand and seems to sell for significantly more now, so kinda an investment. I loved it and for many years its accuracy was faultless. Then I had it serviced (Omega recommended – Swiss Watches in Essex) and since then it runs 10-40 secs fast per day. It’s accurate within the tolerances if I don’t wear it, but just wearing to the office without doing sports/activities, it is barmy fast. Has been back 3 times to the service centre (10 weeks a time) and is now out of the 2 year service guarantee. The servicing is expensive.

Sorry for the mild rant, more just a cautionary tale I guess – it’s really taken the shine off a beautiful watch.

julians

Ive got an omega seamaster automatic chronograph, had it since 2002.

I have never bothered having it serviced as it seems to be a massive rip off.

Mine is pretty accurate, maybe loses a couple of minutes a month, and is still waterproof ( well down to about 20m which is about as deep as i go).

rob2

Get a rado diastar 🙂 I’ve had mine 7 years, never serviced and keeps perfect time. My wife’s rado had issues after servicing. Took a few goes to get it right again.

redsox

WANT!

phwoar! christ that Omega site is a bit dangerous

oddjob

I bought myself a Speedmaster Pro some years ago after fantasising about it for years.

I like the watch a lot, but it turns out that an expensive watch just doesn’t make your life better. Somehow it ended up being a let down. I only wear it occasionally these days and I guess I’ll pass it on to my son one day.

I get more pleasure from the second hand Oris TT1 that I bought for a good price and is less easily damaged.

Subscriber

but it turns out that an expensive watch just doesn’t make your life better.

It depends on how vacuous your life is 😀

wrightyson

I love my expensive watch, I never expected it to change my life and it hasn’t because it’s something you stick on your wrist!
    Those two pictured above are stunning bits of kit…. Go for it!

oddjob

and thankfully my life isn’t vacuous 🙂

Subscriber

and thankfully my life isn’t vacuous

Oooh lah-de-dah you!

To be fair, you bought a speedmaster.

If you’d forked out on a gold De Ville, you’d be surrounded by coke and hookers right now and wouldn’t be on the internet.

*I am a poor man with delusions of grandeur/coke/hookers.

DT78

Have the 45 tango, it’s a big watch, I was quite distraught when I put a nice big scrape on the bezel. At the end of the day they are supposed to be worn…

Premier Icon matthewjb
    Subscriber

Omegas are nice but they are a bit common.

For substantially less you could get a Sinn. Equally well engineered and a bit more exclusive. Unless you are desperate for everyone to know how much you’ve spent.

This one’s about £1,500.

If you are certain you want an Omega then second hand may be a good idea. TZ-UK is a good source .

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Omega Planet Ocean’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top