Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Omega 3 Fish Oil
  • crankman
    Free Member

Anyone take this? Team Sky bang on about it and Michael Hutchinson (who knows a little bit) suggests it’s one thing that does make a difference, problem is they all recommend you take good quality and it looks to be a minefield…

I think Team Sky use this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002FOHAH0?keywords=omega%203%20cnp&qid=1450214863&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

But I’m just as happy to buy any brand, just wondered if people had already done research and knew what to recommend.

Any recommendations?

chewkw
    Free Member

I just buy them from Holland & Barrett whenever they are cheap.

Give a slight boost to my immune system but then they are no protection if you are surrounded by several people constantly coughing like crazy in your house.

Not into brands me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My trainer recommended 3000mgs a day – 3 of the big tablets. My last NHS dietitian recommend 1000mgs a day, but last time I saw her she said some new research had debunked some earlier research or something and now it was not considered so good for your heart but it’s a decent anti inflammatory so great for my injuries.

These things tend to go up and down in experts opinions, but at very worse it’ll do you no harm and they can be pennies a day of you buy well.

trademark
    Free Member

I’ve been using these* for a year and feel less achy.

* They’re now in a red tub, and contain similar ingredients to those sold by bodybuilding/health&fitness shops. But c£eaper at £1.99

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I take it, 1000mg a day capsule as well as food rich in it.
    This is, er, food for thought:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ltb5d

Good for your heart, helps stave off dimentia, etc, etc…

crankman
    Free Member

Only just noticed those ‘CNP’ ones are only 352Mg of EPA (if that’s the important measure) so almost 1/3 of what everyone else takes, or three times the price to put it another way.

Unless it’s the Total Omega 3 value which is important in which case they are only twice the price (562 mg)

footflaps

I take 1000mg a day, Boots own brand.

Macavity
    Free Member

Salmon

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but at very worse it’ll do you no harm

Or perhaps increase your risk of developing prostate cancer.

High intake of omega-3 fats linked to increased prostate cancer risk

It’s probably not a good idea to digest unnaturally high concentrations of any substance without very good reasons, the clue is in the word “unnatural” ie, it isn’t natural.

Cougar

I was in the supermarket the other day when an entire shelf full of Omega 3 supplements collapsed on top of me.

Fortunately I only sustained superfishoil injuries.

mrblobby
    Free Member

1000mg daily of the Eskimo 3 here. Mostly because i read Hutch’s book!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was in the supermarket the other day when an entire shelf full of Omega 3 supplements collapsed on top of me.

Fortunately I only sustained superfishoil injuries

😆 good work fella!

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Fortunately I only sustained superfishoil injuries.

glol!

Bimbler
    Free Member

I take the Solgar Omega-3 EPA & DHA, Triple Strength, confused by which one has the higher EPA/DHA as the tricky b’stards often “suggest” you take multiple pills. That CNP one suggests you take two per serving because EPA & DHA is 352mg and 171mg per capsule respectively.

deadkenny
    Free Member

There was something recently in the news about a recent study saying the fish oil supplements don’t do any good after all. Though oily fish is still considered good. It’s more that food rich in Omega 3 fatty acids are particularly beneficial, but just downing Omega 3 oil has no proven benefit.

I don’t buy into supplements myself. Eat a decent balanced diet and you get all you need. Again some things reported recently have been saying very few people actually need supplements and those who don’t need them don’t really benefit from them.

I’ve tried them in the past. The fish oil capsules and various vitamin stuff. Zero benefit. Just was costing me money and filling cabinets with junk.

footflaps

Or perhaps increase your risk of developing prostate cancer.

Or then again, maybe not…

Just to be clear: this latest study correlated blood levels of omega-3 fats to prostate cancer. It wasn’t able to prove that omega-3 fats cause prostate cancer, nor did it go into how those blood levels came about and whether men with high blood levels were big fish eaters, took fish-oil supplements, or both.

mrblobby
    Free Member

‘ve tried them in the past. The fish oil capsules and various vitamin stuff. Zero benefit. Just was costing me money and filling cabinets with junk.

Curious as to how you determined that there was zero benefit?

Bimbler
    Free Member

I don’t buy into supplements myself. Eat a decent balanced diet and you get all you need

Presumably your blood work backs this up?

deadkenny
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Curious as to how you determined that there was zero benefit?

Had some issues at the time that won’t go into and some wacky Internet advice was this and that supplements were amazing and helped. They didn’t.

Of course may have really just been the wrong thing for it anyway, but that’s sort of my point. Why do people think they need supplements anyway? Do people actually feel better or does it “fix” or help with whatever ailment they have? It could all be placebo effect even if they are convinced they feel better.

So question goes the other way, how do you determine they do have any benefit?

Bimbler – Member
    Presumably your blood work backs this up?

On recent bloods done, yes it does. Was concern about food related to some complaint I had recently so they ran loads of tests and came back fine with no worries about the diet.

Bimbler
    Free Member

On recent bloods done, yes it does. Was concern about food related to some complaint I had recently so they ran loads of tests and came back fine with no worries about the diet.

Even Vitamin D? Blimey you must have a great diet/live somewhere sunny.

html6
    Free Member

Being a cheapskate i’ve been getting some unpackaged no name 1000mg omega3 fish capsules off ebay from a seller called ‘TheVitamin’

I’ve opened them up and they taste like fish so they must be fish oil, right? what else could they be ? Hopefully they are not fake 🙂

You can buy them in 30,60,90,120,240,360,720+ packs.

i take 1 or 2 a day.

No way can i tell if they work. Just hope they do.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So question goes the other way, how do you determine they do have any benefit?

Only way I’d say is to look at blind trails with a suitable sample size that was measuring something quantifiable. Certainly for something where the benefits to the individual may be quite subtle (you’re not going to knock a minute from your 10 mile TT by taking fish oil 🙂 )

crankman
    Free Member

Yep I’m not looking for heart benefits as I believe that is questionable, but I’m hearing a lot of positive info. about use in anti-inflammatory roles and helping recovery.

Michael Hutchinson who by his own admission has tried every ‘legal’ diet / health-trick going to ‘buy time’ said he doesn’t like the supplements market and most are a waste of time, with the exception of fish oil.

I’m not saying that means it true but his opinion counts for a bit in my eyes and if fish oil can help with recovery and feeling better then I’m happy to give it a shout. I’m hoping to ramp up mileage a lot this year.

Cougar

As an aside, you all know about the Durham Fish Oil trials, yes? Some of the worst “scientific” trials ever performed, the results of which where complete fiction? Worth reading about if not.

I can’t comment on the value of these supplements for other reasons, but one of the primary reasons for their surge in popularity is a lie.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you all know about the Durham Fish Oil trials, yes?

Never heard of them. Some sort of competition involving oily fish in Durham?

Cougar

Short version is that a company sponsored trials in a school in Durham (hence the name) and ‘proved’ that the supplements boosted brain power / improved exam results. It was all over the papers at the time.

Except, it was a sham study, they massively doctored the results. But the genie was out of the bottle by then.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Get yourself over to Ben Goldacre’s Bad Science forums and look up the currently running “Stupid Questions” thread (direct linking avoided to reduce bottery).

Some of the pedantry over there makes STW look like distinctly slapdash, and it is evidence-based.

Oh, and Ben’s books are pretty good.

Edit to add: there’s currently some suggestion that to get the full benefit of large quantities of fish-oil you should have the genes and lifestyle of an Inuit.

crankman
    Free Member

Thanks for that, an interesting read.

There was absolutely no effect at all on any cardiovascular outcome. Not a sausage. Nada. Zip. Bugger all. Zero. Snip for the main outcome below.

During a median follow up of 6.2 years, the incidence of the primary outcome* was not significantly decreased among patients receiving n–3 fatty acids, as compared with those receiving placebo (574 patients [9.1%] vs. 581 patients [9.3%]; hazard ratio, 0.98; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.87 to 1.10; P=0.72).

*Death from cardiovascular cause.

We can happily forget all about omega-3 capsules as cardioprotective agents.

It isn’t cardiovascular benefit I and Michael Hutchinson have been (thinking of) using it for, but good link all the same.

andy4d

not all fish oils are the same, there are omega 3,6,9 and then there are amounts of epa and dha in the supplements, read the labels carefully or just eat a tin of mackeral in oil 🙂

Bedds
    Free Member

A division of my company make omega 3, that’s ‘medical grade’ would you believe and is significantly different to most of the stuff you see on the shelves in the high street, I believe that its one of the few supplements which work though and take it daily

poah
    Free Member

does it not have to be in a ratio with omega 6 to work properly?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

As above. Eat more oily fish. Mackeral is cheap and reasonably sustainable. Anchovies and pilchards are also cheap – but check the tin for the MSC logo – some anchovy fisheries are really damaging. Eating fish means you’re getting the oil in it’s unadulterate state and also getting a load of useful proteins and lipids.

slowoldman

In line with a couple of other posters, I prefer my fish oil with fish (mainly salmon and mackerel).

But then I’m not aiming for Olympian performance or to live forever.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Omega 3 Fish Oil’ is closed to new replies.