Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Olympus Tough TG1
  • Thinking I won’t be taking the DSLR on holiday, looking for a beach camera.

Anyone used one of the above and what do you think as far as compacts go?

Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve got one. Most impressed so far, as a beach/bike/boat/ski camera. OK, so it’s not as good as my DSLR, but that’s not the point. It’s a near indestructible point and shoot that takes nice pics. Which is why I bought it!

MSP

I have an old Olympus tough camera (mui something or other), it’s perfectly acceptable as a camera.

It lived through crashes, wetness and sand etc for over 5 years, and still works perfectly well. It generally lives in a pocket on my camelback.

As I see it I am not a professional photographer, I don’t pretend to understand exposure and composure etc (so just like most people who own expensive dslr’s). The most important thing is to have a reliable functioning camera with me, whatever the conditions, that I can take a snap with whenever I see something actually worth taking a picture of.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have a TG-1, a lot smaller in real life than I thought it was from looking at pics. There’s also a Panasonic one now it seems, by which I mean tough bridge camera.

All the other tough cameras are simple compacts in tough bodies, so really aren’t as good. I have an Olympus TG-810 and there’s loads it won’t do – can’t control exposure as much (unlike MSP I do understand these things) but the biggest problem is not being able to select a focus point.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, there’s a TG-2 out now too.

stumpy01

molgrips – Member

All the other tough cameras are simple compacts in tough bodies, so really aren’t as good.

Eh? What?
    Most of the half decent tough cameras are fairly advanced in terms of controls. Well, the Nikon & Panasonic ones I looked at are perfectly decent cameras….don’t see how they aren’t as good as the Olympus offering….

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I bought the Panasonic equivalent (DMC-FT3) as all the review I read seemed to think it takes better photos. It has been bashed around a fair bit and still works and looks excellent. It does take surprisingly good photos too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, the Nikon & Panasonic ones I looked at are perfectly decent cameras

Which ones? My cam is a TG810 which isn’t the youngest model now, perhaps that’s why. It lets you set ISO, it has exposure compensation and has a few modes like sport and portrait, but as above it doesn’t let you set a focus point directly, and has no manual focus.

theflatboy
    Free Member

MSP – Member

I am not a professional photographer, I don’t pretend to understand composure

Why, do you sometimes get flustered, panicky and red in the face?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I really like mine but I’d like if the zoom was a bit better.

Steve77
    Free Member

I bought one online having read good reviews and was a little disappointed as it was bigger than I was expecting. It takes nice photos but I’d take it out more if it was smaller

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ve had one for around 10 months and it’s great! I don’t think there is anything I’d change – some have said the zoom isn’t good enough but at 12mp ou can still crop a fair amount and print to A4 if you want, or there is an add on telephoto lens which I’ve never felt the need to buy.

I virtually never use my DSLR now.

jonk

i’ve had one of the older ones for 3 years now. Its been in the sea, pool, sandy beach dropped and its still going. The photos are pretty good and it’s got a very good burst mode for action shots.

DrJ

There’s a review of some of these “tough” cameras here

heckler73
    Free Member

I asked same query on here as op. read reviews and ended up getting a Panasonic ft5, as I have a g1 also. GREAT camera, takes much better than anticipated pics and great features , a panoramic setting which is great, and other tweaks to pics , been on boat,bike and beach, the slr no been out that much either………

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Olympus Tough TG1’ is closed to new replies.