Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Olympus tough tg-1 – anyone got one?
  • FAIL
    Free Member

Anyone out there got an Olympus tough tg-1?

Quite fancy one for my winter holiday and general biking stuff through the year.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

i don’t have one so cannot help you…got a Fuji xp 30 been great so far

MSP

I have an older Olympus tough thing, does what it says on the tin, it’s the camera I can throw in my backpack and not have to worry about getting wet, dusty or shaken to bits.

speed12
    Free Member

I’ve got a TG-610 which does the job nicely. Image quality isn’t amazing (although the TG-1 is significantly better I believe), but considering the alternative is no photo at all when it’s underwater/raining/hanging off the side of a mountain, etc it’s pretty good (and in good light, is pretty good anyway!). Great to take literally anywhere with you and pretty indestructible (mine fell down a significant proportion of Tryfan and survived with just a few scratches).

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Olympus u1030sw. Hard as nails, yes, but takes god awful pictures. And stupidly expensive. In many respects I wish I had just got a much cheeper one, treated it as disposable, and got new ones whenever they broke. Mind you, I have found the underwater useful a few times.

Aidy
    Free Member

Girlfriend’s just bought one – too early to make a call yet (it only arrived yesterday), but out of the box it seems pretty well built.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ve got one and it’s flipping brilliant! Had it around 4 months, fast start up time, great image quality, battery lasts ages and a load of genuinely useful creative stuff. The HDR mode is great as is the panoramic mode. Low light performance is good and shutter lag is minimal.

Only downsides are the bespoke cable (not a huge issue, but it’s one more cable to pack when going away), you can’t choose the focussing point, and there is a lack of manual control. I haven’t found this to be a problem myself, but if you are used to a DSLR, it may be frustrating.

Overall highly recommended.

FAIL
    Free Member

thanks for the feedback, sounds promising. So now I just need to justify the purchase as an early christmas present to myself…

iainc

we have a variety of these at work. The Lumix FT4’s stand up best to outdoor use and seem to take the best pics.

some of the reviews talk about the gps draining the battery, but that was on the early ones only

pictonroad

I have one of those mju things, it is without a doubt the worst camera I have ever had the misfortune to use, the button to photo delay in anything other than sunlight is about a second, it is useless.

tough though if that’s all that matters.

Northwind

Haven’t seen the latest one, but everyone I’ve known who’s had a ruggedised Olympus has ended up scratching the lens cover.

molgrips
    Free Member

CFH has one.

I have a TG-810 and whilst it’s brilliant to have a tough camera so you can clip it to a rucksack strap and rinse it out when it gets muddy, it’s not all that good of a camera in some respects.

However the TG-1 is a totally different thing – a good bridge camera of the type Olympus are pretty good at, but tough. It’s the only one like that afaik. All other tough cameras are crappy little compacts in tough form.

petrieboy

We’ve got a tough something or other (610 sounds familiar)
    Bad points are its quite slow to respond to te shutter and picture quality in general isn’t great (better than phone pics, but nowhere near as good as the various canon ixus it replaced. The “not quite USB” charge cable is a ball ache too.
    Good points are it works really well under water, takes decent video and has stood up to mrs petrieboy & the toddlers who saw off countless ixus previously so it IS tough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Olympus tough tg-1 – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.