Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Olympus 850 SW for £132- a good deal?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Intrested in one of these- for kayaking, biking and skiing use, as well as normal compact duties.

Numerous reports of not perfect image quality- is it one to avoid?

aracer
    Free Member

Depends what you mean. I’m sure the fussy semi-pro photographers will pop up and say the image quality is rubbish, but as somebody not quite at that level, I can’t say I’ve noticed any issues. Shutter lag is fine too. Owning one of these means I actually have it with me to take pics, which is the crucial thing. I’d certainly happily buy another one if it was stolen.

househusband

Image quality is okay for my purposes, but then again I bought it more for it being rugged and waterproof – and besides I’m a $hit photographer anyway!

You can see the quality of images taken by the camera owners on Flickr.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’m coming from previoussly Nokia 6500 slide (current), Sony K800i and a Sony DSC H1

How much did you spend?

postierich
    Free Member

I rate it as I,ve trashed loads of cameras

Rich

postierich
    Free Member

Paid £150 for mine 3 months ago came with case and memory card and spare battery.

househusband

How much did you spend?

Think I got it for £160 (maybe £150) from John Lewis, about three months ago.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

postierich- where from?

postierich
    Free Member

Paid £150 for mine 3 months ago came with case and memory card and spare battery.

postierich
    Free Member

Whoops bought mine from Jessops they were doing a deal where you got £30 in vouchers hence the extras.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve had one a while, I really like it – like others have said it’s good for chucking in your backpack
    the shutter lag is a bit of a pain sometimes, especially when you don’t have time to set up a shot and need to take one with little notice

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

brakes- no good for action shots then (thinking kayaking?)

miketually
    Free Member

brakes- no good for action shots then (thinking kayaking?)

Better than a camera that’s tucked up safely at home…

I think we’ll be getting one of these as the kids (3 and 5) like to ‘borrow’ our cameras. Our last camera packed up after a day at the beach.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve used it for biking and you can get good shots, it’s just a bit hit and miss sometimes
    I find it struggles in wooded areas where there is lots to confuse the autofocus and the light isn’t the best – those kind of shots where you’re trying to pan with someone on a bike
    the water in the background of kayaking photos might create similar issues

it’s not an expensive camera though and it is tough

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve had one for a while and I really rate it. Great for sailing/wakeboarding/riding pics.

Pretty much bombproof from my experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Olympus 850 SW for £132- a good deal?’ is closed to new replies.