Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Olympics this week and I couldn't care less.
  • onandon
    Free Member

No excitement this time around. I usually look forward to the games, especially last time out.
    With the drugs thing going on, I dunno, just meh! about it all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You cared enough to start a thread about it though.

bencooper
    Free Member

You cynic. I’m massively excited about this international festival of corruption, consumerism, kickbacks, pollution, waste, drugs and oppression.

jekkyl

Klunk
    Free Member

they’ve got a new light railway and a new museum what more would they want! ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Is it wrong to want to watch it to see how badly Brazil put on the event? What’s Portuguese for schadenfreude?

onandon
    Free Member

Started a thread as I’m bored sitting on a train with nothing to think about 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

The mountain biking might be good to watch.

(and wonder how many are clean / cheating)

jekkyl

recreate a *fun* olympics theme at home by having a poo & a wee in the bath and forcing your kids to swim in it.

lazybike
    Free Member

Does seem to have been a bit of a slow build up.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Armitstead lucky to be going..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

probably because its time zone affected if you a brit/european, lots of the finals for events at around 2am GMT

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s the same every time apart from 2012. It has to start before you can get into it and then it’s so full on you will be loving it very quickly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Stoner I think they use the same word for Schadenfreude as we do 🙂 (which I imagine was your point)

Totally agree OP. I love the Olympics and 2012 was simply wonderful at every level. Rio has been a dire choice for sailing since the announcement, it was well know that the bay is literally full of sh.t and of coirse all the promises of clean ups have been broken. I have seen pictures of boats covered in brown and black gunge when returning from training, Swiss team where mugged and the launching pontoon fell apart a couple of days ago. Competitors told to keep their mounts shut if they fall in 😯

When the games start I will be watching though, in particular swimming, cycling and of course the athletics – Mo and Jessica being our superstars.

convert

Yep, the time zone thing is going to nause it up. I would imagine I’ll be mostly watching highlights of events I know the results of already.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The sailing will be interesting, the neddies will be too, the rest I’m not bothered about.

andytherocketeer

Certainly doesn’t seem as hyped as those prior to 2012.

MTBing I’m never really sure about, since it’s a totally man-made super artificial course that’s wide open and designed for getting TV cameras etc in there.

They should have done an urban DH, that South America is famous for.

Klunk
    Free Member
    ehrob

Anything involving water is just going to turn into a battle of seeing who can go the longest without vomming.

Hopefully the golf will get cancelled and the participants entered into Greco-Roman wrestling instead.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I love the Olympics. It won’t be the same as 2012, I remember listening to it at work and having to stop and listen to the commentary on the shooting and canoeing. My son is in Edinburgh diving g club and one of his teammates Grace Reid is competing so we are going to get together with some of the other parents and kids for a BBQ and to watch her. I’ll also be keeping an eye on Grant Ferguson in the MTB, he was one of the kids in the original kids club at Glentress that Emma and Tracey started and whom I helped for a few weeks before my son was born.

MSP

I have always enjoyed the olympics but this one has absolutely failed to capture my attention. I think it is two things.

Firstly the London olympics was a high point (even though the legacy is a joke and the concentration on elite performance over mass participation a disgrace), it was a great show and a few weeks of joy in a recession. So anything after is not going to match up.

Secondly the corruption at the top of sports administration is causing a general tarnishing of the image of all sports and disenfranchisement of fans (Remember Norway leaking the list of Olympic demands before pulling out of the winter games hosts).

johnners
    Free Member

Firstly the London olympics was a high point

Well I thought so, but apparently not according to some Chinese athletes –

Lu Zhimin says the biggest task for the athletes this year is to “come back alive”. Vivienne_Rui quips, “Our country should dispatch to Brazil the World Championship-Level disaster support group”.
    “Be sure to double-check the gymnastic equipment!” jokes Xiari Weifeng Xiaohan. Others joke about the uneven bars being a bit more than uneven.
    I really thought that London had the worst Olympics ever; I never expected this,” says y_oyeaiyaai.
    CindyFoxYeye agrees, saying, “London is finally able to regain some face.”

I hope it goes well, but for a long time the Olympics has been better at transferring public money into private hands than achieving any sort of “legacy” for the host nation.

enfht
    Free Member

I can’t wait to watch all the Olympic-related crime vids on LiveLeak. Already stocked up on popcorn.

onandon
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

Same,

Not sure what it is this time around, China was full of stories about polluted beaches and water, every Olympics I can remember had tales of half finished facilities and un-snagged athlete villages in the lead up.

Same for Wimbledon and the ‘Le Tour’ this year, both won by Brits, not for the first time in recent history, but it’s still pretty rare, but not nearly the usual amount of media coverage – I didn’t even know Wimbledon was on, until it ended.

I guess the news is still very busy at the moment, not been many slow news days this year, but I have think that national pride is at an all time low at the moment, I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but it seems a bit empty cheering for someone you don’t know because they’re a Brit, seems like the end of the party to me.

convert

seems a bit empty cheering for someone you don’t know because they’re a Brit

Maybe this is it. I have never felt less proud or disillusioned with my fellow brits than I do now. Combine that with sports governing bodies being seen to be weak and corrupt and suspicions of the competitors drug free status being at an all time high and there does seem to be less point than ever in the getting interested.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Cringing at the thought of Claire Balding trying to manufacture another Burt Le Clos moment. It was the spontaneity of the situation which made it so great so I hope she leaves well alone.

binners

Its just a glorified school sports day, where the teachers all get to buy a yacht and a private jet. Can’t see what the fuss is all about.

The Premiership starts in a couple of weeks though…..

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it was just announced that a local mountain biker is number 4 in the Oz team for the road race so stuff like that helps to keep the interest up, keen to see the road race, XC and at least cav on the track.

redthunder
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Premiership starts in a couple of weeks though…..

Yay! MOAR money laundering!

D0NK

You cynic. I’m massively excited about this international festival of corruption, consumerism, kickbacks, pollution, waste, drugs and oppression.

nah euros was last month

binners

Yes, but Flashy football wears its corruption like a badge of honour. It waves two fingers at anything other than money. It doesn’t wrap itself up in all the noble Olympic history and sporting sacrifice for ultimate glory bollocks

I kind of admire the shameless, we couldn’t give a **** honesty 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

TheFlyingOx

http://www.reddit.com/r/apocalympics2016

How can you not be at least intrigued by Rio 2016? I sincerely doubt this will go without a hitch.

cinnamon_girl

Not watching an event hosted by a country that treats some of its citizens in such a despicable manner by failing to provide a roof over their heads and sanitation.

I didn’t watch the London Olympics either.

Can’t be doing with this any more.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not watching an event hosted by a country that treats some of its citizens in such a despicable manner by failing to provide a roof over their heads and sanitation.

America?

cinnamon_girl

OK, could be applied to many countries but doesn’t make it right.

convert

I didn’t watch the London Olympics either.

logic fail

Not watching for the reasons stated is fine and noble if you would have otherwise watched and enjoyed it – ie it’s a boycott. But that’s rather blown out of the water if you didn’t bother watching the London version too.

cinnamon_girl

logic fail

wimminz logic innit. 🙂 Morally repugnant and feel that money is needed elsewhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Olympics this week and I couldn't care less.’ is closed to new replies.