Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • olympics opening ceremony
  • bigthorn
    Free Member

Why do they have this bit of singing and dancing at the beginning of this great sports event ( and the end I think) I mean glastonbury doesn’t feel the need to start with a five a side tournament or the like

maccruiskeen

Its the Olympics – its a much broader ranging cultural event than just some sport. Theres already various world championships and they happen all the time. The Olympics are more celebratory.

philxx1975
    Free Member

The Olympics are more celebratory.

Yes the drugs cheats athletes will celebratin and be thanking their lucky stars they made it into the team.

cheers_drive

I’ve always wondered that but the 2012 opening ceremony was ace.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And then George Michael **** it all up for everybody

jambalaya
    Free Member

I love the Olympics but aside from London 2012 I don’t watch the opening or closing ceremonies. I don’t see the point but they are popular with others so be it.

scotroutes

The London Olympics opening ceremony thread on STW was an absolute classic. I was reading out some of the posts to my wife and daughter and they were creasing themselves.
    Genuinely hilarious – not like that naff picolax thread. I was hoping for a repeat performance this year though taking the piss out of the Brazilians will no doubt upset some of the professionally offended on here.

Northwind

bigthorn – Member

Why do they have this bit of singing and dancing at the beginning of this great sports event ( and the end I think) I mean glastonbury doesn’t feel the need to start with a five a side tournament or the like

It’s the best bit. But also it’s got a much wider appeal and helps to get away from the “it’s just sport” thing.

Also, the first 20 minutes of 2012’s ceremony was just incredible. Like, incredibly incredible. I was fully expecting it to suck, too.

Aaand now I need to watch it again.

BenjiM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘olympics opening ceremony’ is closed to new replies.