Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Olympic Road race route announced. Surrey Hills content
  • leggyblonde
    Free Member

could offer some great vantage points to MTBers in the area 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Wonder if they’ll have to put up with the miserable roadies in Richmond Park…

glenp
    Free Member

Like a lot of people I think I’ll be on the zig-zag at Box Hill. They’ll still flash past n a few seconds, but at least we’ll be able to see them coming.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrlebowski
    Free Member

I saw that – bumpy as hell.

theotherjonv

Like a lot of people I think I’ll be on the zig-zag at Box Hill

It’s clear that’s where the race will be won and lost. All the big finishers will be struggling to hold the climbers up there, can they minimize their losses sufficiently to be able to set up a sprint at the end.

earbyphil
    Free Member

From Leggyblondes picture it looks like the will circle Box Hill twice on the same road? What happens if the leaders catch up with the tail-enders? Won’t they all get mixed up?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Most of the out bound route is my commute home! Ace!

warton
    Free Member

If its the same as the world champs don’t you have to drop out if you’re lapped? like most crits as well…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

It’s clear that’s where the race will be won and lost. All the big finishers will be struggling to hold the climbers up there, can they minimize their losses sufficiently to be able to set up a sprint at the end.

I disagree. That’s not a climb to a pro, even fit 2nd cats can big ring it up the zig zags. Ditchling beacon is much worse and the TdF flew up there when it cam over here in 94(?), even the big sprinters. The atmosphere will be brilliant if it’s a sunny day there though.

crazy-legs

From Leggyblondes picture it looks like the will circle Box Hill twice on the same road? What happens if the leaders catch up with the tail-enders? Won’t they all get mixed up?

Goes up Box Hill 9 times for the Men’s race…

earbyphil
    Free Member

ti_pin_man. At least they will fix the road for the race so you will have glass smooth surfaces to ride to work on.
    How do I know they will re-surface the route? Because Cavandish complained recently that there was tarmac on a road he had to race on (at the time he was running last)!!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Goes up Box Hill 9 times for the Men’s race…

OK, the big guys will start to feel that!

aP
    Free Member

I think that we’ll try and catch them somewhere around Richmond on the way out and then ride out off road to Headley and catch them on the circuit before retiring to a pub on the river on the way back in.
    There’s nothing hilly enough on those roads to do anything to the favourites – they’ve already said that its a sprinter’s course, and that the only thing is that its not a short circuit so the team managers won’t be able to read the race as easily.

theotherjonv

I was fishing……. but maybe now I shouldn’t admit that and instead nod sagely in a ‘told you so’ fashion.

clubber
    Free Member

Like the course – I rode most of that (not at the same ride, mind) as my usual routes when I lived in London.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Earbyphil – ace, bits of it need serious resurfacing!

philconsequence
    Free Member

why do the women ride less miles? isnt that a bit mysogymathingy?!

clubber
    Free Member

Don’t want them to look anything other than their best by the finish…

Seriously though, there is a real point there – obviously women’s races are slower so they’re shorter to compensate but they’re not that much slower (eg half the mileage!). I know that several of the better women racers have complained on that point too.

tonyg2003

Given that it’s a 15mins ride off road from here to Boxhill I’m very excited. BBQ in the garden afterwards with a beer to watch the sprint finish. Fancy coming along Leggy? Bring your folks too?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Tony, thanks! I’m there 😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

bunch sprint, it’s for cav

in the breaks, Swifty

joolsburger
    Free Member

I goes right past my house!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

they dont do a 100meter sprint for the men and a 65meter sprint for the little women, so i don’t understand why it seems to be assumed women cant ride as far as men?!

are there any other olympic events where the women aren’t expected to do as much as the guys?

wwaswas

are there any other olympic events where the women aren’t expected to do as much as the guys?

Marathon?

ah, no hang on.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’m putting a tenner on Cancellara. He’ll attack through Richmong park and solo it to the finish with the prevailing tailwind at 60kph

And women play shorter tennis games.

aP
    Free Member

It’s going to be fun having those roads closed all day for the race.

aracer
    Free Member

XC skiing, biathlon, swimming, kayaking, speed skating, downhill skiing, luge, skeleton… actually along with cycling I reckon that’s a majority of the sports involving covering distance as fast as possible.

njee20
    Free Member

All mountain bike races too, from local races to world cups. Smaller field and lower speeds.

Box Hill should be good, looks like they’re coming down Combe Lane which is a shame, that would’ve been good! Agree it’s not much of a climb though, even after 9 times I reckon it’ll be a big group at the finish.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Ill be there!!

theotherjonv

I read somewhere that the roads will have to be closed very early on in the morning – something to do with olympic rules / ‘field of play’ restrictions. I can imagine the whinging now.

So, who’s going to cheeky camp on the NT land at Boxhill to get the prime spots?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Olympic Road race route announced. Surrey Hills content’ is closed to new replies.