Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Olympic BMX
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How mad?

CountZero

How bloody fast!

kimbers

ouch that brazillian took a nasty one!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

NZ look like Darth Vader on wheels 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

My favourite Grauniad front page in a long time!

DezB
    Free Member

How mad?

How bloody fast!

How many qualifying runs?

(glad i sky+ed it though)

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it on now?

RustySpanner

How many spoilt kids who were bought a road bike last week now begging their parents to swap it for a BMX? 😀

And why is the stadium commentator an American?

And why do they play Rawk between motos?
    Surely they should have to listen to ‘Let it Be’ like everyone else?

toby1

Probably one of my favourite events to watch, risk, excitement and loads of crashes. Molly, it was on about 3pm but deserves lots of repeats 🙂

racefaceec90

it’s just mental to watch 😯 (awesome bike skills they all have 😀

King-ocelot
    Free Member

All the bikes appear to have the same brand of brake lever, is this a regulation or sponsorship?

tracknicko
    Free Member

all on xtr V’s?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

all on xtr V’s?

Pretty much sure I saw a rear disc on one during the seeding runs yesterday.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m all for discs on most types of bike they are just better. But a disc on a BMX? They only use them at the end of the lap shirly the pros don’t really need them?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

How do they manage to track stand so easily at the beginning, especially clipped in? They bounce around, pump up and down but don’t wobble at all. I thought there was something holding the back wheel but I didn’t see anything. Is it just that the front wheel is against the gate?

superfli
    Free Member

They just push against the gate, its not hard to do

simon_g

They’re always angled downhill, so gravity is keeping the front wheel against the gate. Find a wall or post at the bottom of a hill and roll up to it, it’s easy to keep your balance with the front wheel effectively fixed in place.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Weekends’ activity sorted. Impressive anyway, especially for a wobbler like me.

kayak23

A tired cliche but amusing I thought…
    Daily Mash Olympic BMX

bikey
    Free Member

There is no regulation on brakes or levers to be used but most adult riders run a Shimano DXR lever and caliper. The DXR looks bling as it is basically the polished version of a Deore brake and works adequately on a BMX track. Disc brakes would cause the rear wheel to lock up as the bikes are light and as you never sit down during a race there is no weight over the rear wheel. One dab on the brake would loose you the race as the racing is so close.
    Its easy after a little practice to balance on the gate. The riders you see on the startgate of the Olympics have been balancing on gates for years and have there own way of getting set for a race. These range from position of the front pedal, body position over the bike and lead and follow leg position. Ultimately is all about forward motion out of the gate.
    I am so glad that the TV coverage has opened peoples eyes to the world of BMX racing. The riders on the gate are all world class athletes and have put in years of training for there sports. Now all we need is some GB medals in BMX to cement its credability with the “mainstream sport” loving public.

Matt (National BMX rider and BMX coach)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Let’s hope Shazza doesn’t throw it away again like she did last time.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Let’s hope Shazza doesn’t throw it away again like she did last time.

brilliant. where’s that rolling eyes smiley gone?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks Matt for answering my question about brakes. Watching a replay I noticed someone had a deore lever. I’m really hankering after a BMX now.

bikey
    Free Member

Me too! She did the same at the Worlds this year. She had her weight too far forward and her back wheel broke away from her. I know she runs maxxis DTH tyres which I have never been a fan of! I think at the last Olympics she wanted it too much and pushed a little too hard in to that last corner. I hope she can keep her cool and pull it off, but she has to get in front of a top world class field to do it and she is lacking in race expearience this year.

Come 3pm all will tell?

Matt

geetee1972
    Free Member

I honestly think she got spooked by how good AC was in Beijing and on that turn, running into her back wheel was a ‘if I bin it then I have a good reason why I didn’t win’. I’m sure that Pendleton had a similar experience.

Time and time again, we see that winning is mostly about the psychological battle rather than the physical. If you’re there and in the final, then physically you’re capable of winning.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

So exactly how fast are these guys & girls spinning their bikes up to? It looks pretty rapid from telly..

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to be there yesterday (thanks British Cycling). It was a fantastic event, definitely the best one I’ve been to so far. It was definitely pitched at ‘the kids’, but my 82 year old dad absolutely loved it.

The crash at the start which left the NZ rider on his own was amazeballs. So impressed with the way they all picked themselves up and gave it beans on the next heat.

They also had a freestyle demo/jump competition between rounds, so the crowd was well entertained.

Top day out and gutted I sold my BMX last year 😥

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Oh and supposedly the men hit 35mph+, according to the ‘rad’ commentator.

bikey
    Free Member

Actually 42.5mph was the fastest quoted speed on the track yesterday. Thats pretty serious speed on a bike with 20″ wheels, no suspension and only a rear V brake…

Matt

geetee1972
    Free Member

42mph? holy crap, with the gearing they have that’s amazing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve often fancied a BMX.

mildred

Roger Rinderknecht was using a disk brake yesterday so your eyes are not deceiving you. I think it was XTR.

mildred

42mph? holy crap, with the gearing they have that’s amazing.

I think they’re spinning up to 180rpm

CountZero

42mph! 😯

MrSmith
    Free Member

I met roger rinderwhatsisname when I spent the day on the BMC (his 4x sponsor) stand at brands hatch a couple of years ago, I pointed out that the chap I had been talking to was joe breeze and that without him and a handful of others of similar vintage that MTB’s wouldn’t be where they are today. He wasn’t that impressed, he crashed in the next round. 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

I pointed out that the chap I had been talking to was joe breeze and that without him and a handful of others of similar vintage that MTB’s wouldn’t be where they are today.

you sound like a hoot!

MrSmith
    Free Member

parties aren’t the same without me, my comedy ties are legendary and always a talking point.

Edric64
    Free Member

I like watching the BMX the skill level is amazing but never wanted one when I was a kid probably because Dad said they were toys and not real bikes.With hindsight he was a miserable sod .I suppose its a bit late to get one at 48 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

i had to make do with a grifter 😥
    it’s amazing how an endo can bend the forks back so far yet still be ridable.

bikey
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Its never to late. I will be 45 next year and still race on the National BMX scene. There is a class for cruisers (24″ wheeled BMX’s) thats 45 +. The oldest racer that we have at Gosport BMX Club is 65yrs old.
    Age is a number nothing more.

Matt

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Olympic BMX’ is closed to new replies.