Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Olympic Bike Cam Tour Of The Course
  • grantway
    Free Member

There has been plenty of negative but after watching the cam footage
    I have got to say, looks way crap/joke
    Just a shame and a waste of money obvious not a permanent made adventure
    Olympic Bike Cam Tour

29erconvert
    Free Member

Is it to late to try out for the team. lol that coures looks shit no way a world class standered course!!!!!!

what a shit example of a course to push mountain biking in the uk!

far far far better trail centres out there!

Woody
    Free Member

For some reason I can’t find a vid on that link.

Course looks good to me (some of it looks quite gnarly) and at least we’ll be able to see most of the action 🙂

scaredypants

Doesn’t look that shit to me, all fair enough for a race course I guess (never having raced)

Not enough rocks sunk into it in the rocky bits (ie too short) and shame they’ve made no humps/dips in the “path” bits to add some interest and minor challenge

I’d like to see several near-identical but physically separate lines (up and down) running a hundred yards or so on trickyish terrain so they’d have to go balls-out to avoid getting overtaken without seeing how the opposition is getting on

ruscle
    Free Member

Makes me glad I don’t race mtb’s and just ride bikes for fun, that would bore me senseless, I think I would be looking at pulling a sickie when race day came along or change the event I did!

Junkyard
    Free Member

well i am world class in technical ability now to work on the fitness.

mrmo
    Free Member

FFS, it is a race course, what makes a race does not make a sunday bimble round a trail centre.

njee20
    Free Member

FFS, it is a race course, what makes a race does not make a sunday bimble round a trail centre

Very this. And it’ll be good. Trail centres do not make good race courses. It’ll also look good on tv, which it was designed to do.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

That looks boring as hell. Why not have the race at Dalby and make some modifications rather than that deglorified BMX course.

crazy-legs

Oh FFS, not this again!

What you class as MTBing (a Sunday pootle round a trail centre carrying the kitchen sink on your back, stopping at the top and bottom of every hill to faff with seatposts and suspension and chat about how radcore you were on that last boom gnarly drop) is nowhere close to Olympic XC MTB.

Venues have to be within strict guidelines: between x and y in length, a certain amount of climbing per lap, so many technical features because it has to be repeatable at different Olympic venues, the same as any other sport. You wouldn’t ask the swimmers or rowers or runners to make do with a non-standard facility.

The venue also has to be closed off completely in the run up to the event so it can be bedded in, the test events can be run – I can imagine you’d all be really happy if Dalby or any other trail centre was closed for 2 years in the run up to it…

And it has to be able to accommodate tens of thousands of media/spectators and look good on TV. And be close to London what with it being the LONDON Olympics.

So if you can do better, go and offer your services to Seb Coe. And if you can even ride the course, no dabs at half the speed the Olympic guys will be doing it, you should be racing Elite. Even some of the current crop of Olympic riders were thinking twice about various sections of that course, it’s WAY tougher than any trail centre.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 to all of that!

Janesy
    Free Member

+1 to most of that apart from this blunder:

It’s WAY tougher than any trail centre.

Ive done many XC races and none of them were on a canal tow path. Im sure it will change but at the moment its sucks.

scaredypants

didn’t somebody here get to ride it on stw’s press pass ?

did they report back ?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Trail centres do not make good race courses

Really?

Someone forgot that at Dalby then..

fasthaggis

Oh FFS ,not this again +1

Old news

nbt

Someone forgot that at Dalby then.

Except the course at Dalby doesn’t use the whole of the trail and they built new bits specifically for the race? 🙄

grum
    Free Member

I think it looks alright actually – and the techy sections are presumably a lot harder with a saddle up your arse and a very high heart rate. Dunno about ‘way tougher than any trail centre’ though.

Certainly looks a lot better than the MM course anyway. 😛

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Except the course at Dalby doesn’t use the whole of the trail and they built new bits specifically for the race? 🙄

Which are now part of the trail, no?

richmtb

Meanwhile back in the real world away from keyboard warrior land…

Some of those lines look pretty tricky.
    Those rock gardens won’t be so easy after 6 laps at 80% Max HR on a 100mm Hardtail wearing SPD’s and with a fully extended seatpost.

I actually think they’ve done an excellent job, given the restriction the format places on them

Woody
    Free Member

Look at 2 pics below – one is at Dalbeattie (apologies for nicking the pic to whoever) and ‘core’ enough for people to stop, drop the saddle and take pics of their radness – the other is the Olympic course, which is apparently piss easy and dull 🙄
    [img]http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2011/03/30/1301475522440-jijq5c902fl9-280-75.jpg[/img]

epicyclo

I don’t see the problem. There’s a nice smooth grassy bit just off to the side 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh look SBZ; Njee20 and Crazy Legs, what are actually mtb racers, think it’s ok, whereas you, what is not an mtb racer, doesn’t. Hmm, who do I listen to…?

Simple way to settle it; you race them on the Lympic course, and indeed any course, see who’s best.

Come on son; money where yer gob is.

Or just be quiet.

scotia
    Free Member

totally agree with Elfin, NJee20 and Crazy Legs…

and +1 for Or just be quiet.

fasthaggis

Brilliant, get Harry Hill to referee 😆

Wozza
    Free Member

I like it, further more I hope they keep it as an event venue after 2012.

oblique
    Free Member

How slow was the guy riding the course going at the start of all the obsticals. If anyone did that on race day they would be losing postions all over the shop.

The dalby WC XC course is almost all new track and the short sections that were recycled where re-layed before they were used. Looks good to me and i know i couldn’t do those obsticals at the speeds you will have to do them on the day.

midlifecrashes

Not saying they are needed, but genuine question, are dropper seatposts allowed? Some of the rock chutes will be interesting in the wet on XC tyres.

plumber
    Free Member

Woody

If you compare trees in your pictures you can easily see the error you have made.

Hugs

Plum

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Is it to late to try out for the team. lol that coures looks shit no way a world class standered course!!!!!!

what a shit example of a course to push mountain biking in the uk!

far far far better trail centres out there!

theres a big diffence between Racing and trail centreing.

The course was built just like anyother top xc course, dalby for example. Two or three technical sectiosn, climbs and the rest flat out racing.

retro83
    Free Member

plumber – Member

Woody

If you compare trees in your pictures you can easily see the error you have made.

Hugs

Plum

Not really, the first pic is already straight (look at the person centre-top) and the Olympic one is only rotated a small amount (4-5 deg).

Having watched the video, I think it looks alright personally. Should be buttock clenching when ridden flat out, that’s for sure – especially given how much video tends to flatten this stuff (look at helmet cam from Fort William for instance).

scotia
    Free Member

plum

sorry but not agreeing – the angle is minimal in comparison with the comments on here that the course will be on the whole a piece of piss.

hugs

billysugger
    Free Member

Where’s the loop-da-loop?

Pussies

x

RealMan
    Free Member

I don’t like the course, but mainly because it will suit 29er HTs with slick tyres (unless it gets wet, don’t know what the track would be like then).

Everyone seems to be thrilled it has a few techy sections (which don’t look techy at all tbh). But there seems to be chicken runs on all of them, that don’t look like you’d lose any significant time on, so what’s the point?

I love a course where the best bike for the job is a 100mm full sus or ht with 26″ wheels and fairly nobbly tyres – for me, that’s what xc racing is about. I think a cross bike would be quicker then a mtb on that track, which isn’t right for a xc race course IMO.

crazy-legs

Does everyone commenting on this thread simply look at one picture and not bother reading anything written above or in this review??

What it looks like now isn’t much of a clue either, it’s got over a year for “stuff” (like trees, bushes, proper track covering) to be added, then it’ll look less like a glorified BMX track and more like a race course for pro athletes (as opposed to a trail centre for slightly overweight IT middle managers).

ampthill

I hadn’t seen the single track review before. I’m getting quite excited now. Just found out we’ve got tickets for the womans mountain biking!

grantway
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    FFS, it is a race course, what makes a race does not make a sunday bimble round a trail centre
    Very this. And it’ll be good. Trail centres do not make good race courses. It’ll also look good on tv, which it was designed to do

So its going to shite then !!

Gary_C

Woody – Member
    Look at 2 pics below – one is at Dalbeattie (apologies for nicking the pic to whoever) and ‘core’ enough for people to stop, drop the saddle and take pics of their radness – the other is the Olympic course, which is apparently piss easy and dull

Bloody hell! That’s me on that first pic!
    Good job I run tubeless, looking at the back tyre..

njee20
    Free Member

Not saying they are needed, but genuine question, are dropper seatposts allowed? Some of the rock chutes will be interesting in the wet on XC tyres.

Yep, no rules against it! Not aware that anyone has done yet though, still a big weight penalty, and you get used to riding everything with your saddle up your arse!

singlespeedstu

I don’t like the course,

Good job your not good enough to make the grade for race it’s designed for then. 😆

I think a cross bike would be quicker then a mtb on that track, which isn’t right for a xc race course IMO.

So you’d ride this line on a crossbike then?

anto164
    Free Member

TBH, it looks nowhere near tech enough to make it challenging. I’ve enjoyed the last couple of olympic races as they’ve been more natural, not a fire road all the way around.

I think that there are lots of good places around london for the race, just that farm just hasn’t got the altitude change for decent racing.

But it’ll be great for the spectators, mostly open with good visability.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Olympic Bike Cam Tour Of The Course’ is closed to new replies.