Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Oly EP1 to Prime or Zoom?
  • Travis

Looks like the wife has settled on me getting an Oly EP1…. can only afford 1 lens…

Prime
    or
    Zoom

Since I'm just 'upgrading' from my Cannon A1 (with 50mm lens) I know what I want….

But would like the ST massif input on this…

Cheers

MrSmith
    Free Member

zoom and then get an adapter and pick up a cheap prime later on.

vinnyeh

Kit with the zoom. 17mm seems to have more distortion issues than a prime should have. Don't forget there's no flash- I'd consider buying one essential, but you may differ.

Can I ask you out of curiosity what made you pick this camera, especially if you're a bit pushed for cash? It's not what I'd pick as a first/only camera at this stage- this is the forerunner of a whole new breed of cameras, and come autumn there should be a fair amount of choice, as well as improved models available.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Hmmmm, was looking at this too, but heard the AF performance was slow. I agree with above, lots coming soon beforeend of year. In the meantime Panasonic Lumix LMX 3 can't be faulted.

happysnapper
    Free Member

I've had a play with it. The AF isn't bad at all. It's not top speed DSLR phase detect stuff, but it's better than compacts in my experience. Unless you're doing a lot of continuous AF it will be fine. You can prefocus for bike shots too and then you've got DSLR type low shutter lag.

I'd probably go for the zoom too. Oly kit lenses tend to be pretty good and the fact it's collapsable is pretty neet.

I've just bought an E620 instead as the size is much the same but you get better AF and it's better for faster moving subjects (bikes).

Travis

not pushed for cash, just set myself a limit.
    It is actually a toss up between the LX3 and this.

It is new, but as with technology you have to take the leap, otherwise you'll always be waiting for something better to come along.

The zoom is probably a good idea, I've got a friend who getting hands on experience tomorrow so I'll be keen to hear his response.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Oly EP1 to Prime or Zoom?’ is closed to new replies.