Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Oliver has surpassed himself.
  • Kryton57

I’m sorry but the chubby Essex Cook gets on my nerves. In his latests series I couldn’t believe he could have been more of an arse than he was by beat boxing in his ford Capri avec tiger strip seat covers. Until he turn up at a Bedfordshire farm and used the same car to handbrake turn into their driveway.

<head in hands! triple face palm etc>

That is all.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Maybe he is trying for a gig on Top Gear.

Jamie
    Free Member

Someone will be along shortly to query why his weight has anything to do with things, and to inform you your TV has an off switch.*

*And possibly the option to select other channels.

Torminalis
    Free Member

your TV has an off switch.*

What about the wife?

rewski
    Free Member

chubby Essex Cook

surely you mean the slightly overweight Essex Chef, Restauranteur, Multimillionaire, Best Selling Non-Fiction Author, Mentor for dozens of training Chefs and Campaigner for Better School Food for our kids? If yes, that programme you’re referring too is a little silly but it’s aimed at quite a young and broad audience, my local brewery was on it too. Jamie is a top bloke, probably not a popular view but I just can’t help liking him.

That is all.

Northwind

If I was driving around in a capri, I’d handbrake turn everywhere. “Just handbrake turnin to the shops dear, do you want anything?”

theflatboy
    Free Member

My favourite thing about that show when the other half’s watching it is during the internal car driving shots, you can see the assistant complete with notepad and other accessories hiding behind the passenger seat, slightly deflating the relaxed bantermime going on in the front…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What has his weight or where he comes from got to do with anything?

Other channels are available.

EDIT: Oops! Or just switch it off. Or [mod]go for a ride[/mod].

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I do find him irritating, but I cannot help but admire his business acumen. He got a lucky break as a kid when he was spotted, and did the whole cheeky chappy, one of the lads, mockney ‘cool’ chef programs. He took that and ran with it. He’s worked bloody hard, and done quite a lot of good, so good luck to him.

Jamie
    Free Member

What about the wife?

Not sure about the off switch, but banging it from a certain angle might improve reception.

ransos
    Free Member

I do find him irritating, but I cannot help but admire his business acumen.

Amazingly, people keep falling for it. I ate in one of his restaurants once. A mistake I do not wish to repeat.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Amazingly, people keep falling for it. I ate in one of his restaurants once. A mistake I do not wish to repeat.

Yes, not eaten at one of his restaurants myself, but I do get the impression that he’s moved a long way away from his original ethos. The lovingly prepared, spontaneous, rustic cooking for the love of it, has been replaced by an enormous corporate machine of chain restaurants.

kimbers

im reassured by a chubby chef, shows they like what the cook!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m in the “like” camp too.
    And with an arse end like the Capri has got hand braking must be a joy!

RustySpanner

Can’t stand the TV show, because I hate that style of programme, but I rather like the bloke himself.
    Love his books though and actually quite admire him for the way he has spoken out.

See also Gok Wan.

z1ppy

I ate in one of his restaurants once. A mistake I do not wish to repeat.

So have I, I was impressed & when I expected to be annoyed. Will go back & recommend it to everyone who asks…

I’m not keen on his personality, and don’t like his style of cooking but I wouldn’t knock the bloke for becoming a success & then following up on that by promoting healthy eating.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve eaten a couple of times in his Brizzle restaurant and enjoyed it both times despite not wanting to. I’m with Rusty in liking him and thinking that he genuinely cares about the stuff he’s campaigned on but thinking most of his tv stuff is all a bit shite.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems like a decent guy, on this occasion having a laugh.

The phrase “lighten up” springs to mind.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d rather have dinner with him than some of you whiny tossbags!

scuttler

I ate there once. It was crap but then I’m not surprised because it must have been his day off as I couldn’t see him in the kitchen.

ransos
    Free Member

So have I, I was impressed & when I expected to be annoyed. Will go back & recommend it to everyone who asks…

Perhaps you enjoy paying posh restaurant prices for Pizza Express quality food. I didn’t.

loum
    Free Member

Never trust a skinny chef.

scud
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/YRLqLACXFC8[/video]

This makes me laugh everytime i hear it…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve also eaten in Pizza Express and the food in Jamie’s was quite a bit better.

Mind you, I only agreed to go to Jamie’s because I thought it was STW Jamie’s restaurant. Imagine my disappointment. 🙁 Sorry if I’ve burst anyone else’s bubble.

z1ppy

Perhaps you enjoy paying posh restaurant prices for Pizza Express quality food. I didn’t.

I didn’t expect to like it, & having been to both of those restaurants (food outlet in PE’s case) I’ll go back to Jamie’s, and it really really isn’t that expensive when compared with proper posh restaurants (which no, I don’t frequent either, as I prefer to buy decent ingredients and cook myself)

ransos
    Free Member

I didn’t expect to like it, & having been to both of those restaurants (food outlet in PE’s case) I’ll go back to Jamie’s, and it really really isn’t that expensive when compared with proper posh restaurants (which no, I don’t frequent either, as I prefer to buy decent ingredients and cook myself)

Each to their own. There wasn’t really anything wrong with the food there, but I found it pretty dull, not authentic (despite their claims), and overpriced compared to what I could get elsewhere. I eat at good quality restaurants a fair bit, as well as cooking a lot at home, so I do have a pretty good idea of what’s available for a given price.

Northwind

deadlydarcy – Member

I’ve eaten a couple of times in his Brizzle restaurant and enjoyed it both times despite not wanting to

I hope you complained! “I came here for a rubbish time and you have failed to deliver”

RustySpanner

Chatting to locals in York recently the word was that his place there wasn’t that good to start with, but has improved massively and is well worth a visit.

On the list for next time.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Doesn’t he just throw all the ingredients on the plate, rummage it around and say ‘lovely jubbly’ over and over?

DezB
    Free Member

Beat boxing? Was he any good? I do hope he doesn’t try it near any food, what with that oversized tongue going on.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve eaten in a few of his places and on various occasions, has to be said it’s a bit meh and rammed full of child buggies and whining parents, for that I’m ooot.
    Foods about on par with an upmarket Little Chef these days, in a “you know what you are getting”, “you know it’ll be cooked”, “you almost know what it’ll cost”, “you have a seat to sit on”.
    It is overpriced, it is “get in, eat, get out” attitude and it is all served by staff who couldn’t care less about Jamie nor his food ethos.
    I suspect the chain is so far removed from his little hands that he barely takes a look at his bank balance these days.
    You can eat better, you can eat for far better VFM elsewhere, be it the local Caff or Georgio Locatellis.

However I’m a fan of his, liken him to an open, honest, jovial, interested Spaniel. Always on the move, always interesting on his TV trips and grounded to the point of getting involved in the programme rather than letting someone write a script and he plays out a Pinnochio stance sans strings.
    I have a few of his books, opened them once of twice but the first one I almost got to the end of and have to say it’s helped me in my day to day cooking variation(s)

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

honestly for what he has done over the years he can be forgiven a lot.

Add in I hold him responsible for the fact that I can actually cook these days I’d have to admit to being a fan. My book purchases now end up with Rick Stein though now. Slightly more grown up and involved where oliver is still trying to get people cooking their own food.

Drac

Seen that the other night and laughed as I’d been tempted to do the same in an old car like that, certainly use to in the old bangers my brother use to buy. My next thought was I bet someone on STW will whine about it, well took a couple of days but there it is.

edlong
    Free Member

I’ll watch Jamie Oliver programmes on the same basis I watch Robson’s fishing adventures – because I’m interested in the content and despite the fact that the presenter annoys the crap out of me.

I like Jamie’s style of cooking, I like his enthusiasm, I admire the campaigning work he’s done, and the fact that he follows up on it (like, not letting the government off the hook on the school dinners thing even though he’s not promoting a series about it anymore) and the training opportunities he’s created for aspiring, disadvantaged people.

But, he is an annoying cockwomble on screen.

rewski
    Free Member

Good grief, pleasantly surprised there’s so many Jamie lovers on here, good work people.

brakes
    Free Member

isn’t he partly to blame for middle-class obesity?
    by creating a nation who eat 4oz of pasta 4 times a week for dinner?

mogrim

Add in I hold him responsible for the fact that I can actually cook these days I’d have to admit to being a fan. My book purchases now end up with Rick Stein though now. Slightly more grown up and involved where oliver is still trying to get people cooking their own food.

Can’t deal with Rick Stein, watched a couple of episodes from his India series and found his salt-of-the-earth, Daily Telegraph reader style far too annoying…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep but his spain book is very very good!

footflaps

by creating a nation who eat 4oz of pasta 4 times a week for dinner?

That’s just the first course in Italy..

Kryton57

Meh.

I’ve no issues with his success, just his personality. Fwiw I enjoyed the Naked Chef and for me his personality reflected the title at that time. However the Top Gear comment is a good comparison IMO, because either deliberately or not his personality has grown with him / us / the end of the “laddish TV” era.

And yes, he does appear to rummage wrist deep a fair bit in what becomes a tower of food these days which I personally find unappealling.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Oliver has surpassed himself.’ is closed to new replies.