Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Oligarchy, or democracy?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

With all this revolution claptrap being spouted, “austerity” being the latest political buzz word and all the political parties esentially becoming the same thing (apart from a couple of crack pot parties,nothing new there) do you think that our elected MP’s are serving the public interest to there best means?

or was that an unimportant issue?

maccruiskeen

Playing devils advocate here really but….Do you know whats actually happening in that first picture?

Unlike in the second picture where theres legislation being presented and debated pending a vote, in the first picture theres no legislation on the table. The backbench committee can chose to give an issue parliamentary time but theres nothing more thats happening in that first picture other than talk. The purpose of the event was simply to ‘consider’ the issue of The Living Wage.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Unlike in the second picture where theres legislation being presented and debated pending a vote

What vote ? MPs pay is set by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority, they don’t get to vote on it.

maccruiskeen

True enough, but it was still a debate around a thing that was happening, a decision, an event.

The motion to consider the Living Wage was because it was Living Wage Awareness Week, but there was no outcome of that discussion intended other than to state that the issue had been discussed.

piemonster

If only there was some sort of process by which the electorate could remove said self serving chug nuts.

allthepies
    Free Member

where have you been for the last 5 years ?

wilburt
    Free Member

Those pictures are a fabrication and the real question is not about will or competence but if democracy can ever really make necessary but unpopular desicions.

Excessive car use is a good example over on this websites sister publication road cc there a constant stream of incredulity at the lack of action other road deaths but political parties need funding and voters drive cars so nothing happens.

This is why (IMO) European administration is often more willing and able to take difficult desicions.

towzer

“If only there was some sort of process by which the electorate could remove said self serving chug nuts.”

from a process perspective it looks flawed to me, what do we have now – 650 MPs, what will we have next time around – 650 MPs – so no change then.

“austerity” being the latest political buzz word” – mmm, might be more that the afore mentioned 650 MPs have had reasons (such as wanting to be re-elected) for letting us living beyond our means for quite a while

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the real question is not about will or competence but if democracy can ever really make necessary but unpopular desicions.

This is why (IMO) European administration is often more willing and able to take difficult desicions.

Because they are not subject to the will of the electorate ? Using that logic then the solution obviously is to scrap elections to the UK Parliament. Perhaps the Queen can simply appoint the government ?

And we could all look forward to governments making unpopular decisions, unlike now.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Excessive car use is a good example over on this websites sister publication road cc there a constant stream of incredulity at the lack of action other road deaths but political parties need funding and voters drive cars so nothing happens.

Considering that 2013 has the lowest recorded deaths on the road since records began.

Deaths of cyclists have increased but so has the number of cyclists.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oligarch – really?

Ditto austerity – how much has the debt of the UK fallen? How big is the fiscal surplus?

wilburt
    Free Member

There’s a strong argument to say road deaths are down because people especially kids stay clear of roads, instead choosing to sit in their bedrooms on xboxs getting fat. It’s still the most common cause of death of under 25s and responsible for many more deaths by local polution. Cancer survival rates have improved also should we not bother anymore?

Using an extreme example to argue a point is pretty weak and usually a lost resort Ernie, bit early in the discussion don’t you think?

Point being democracies can be just as corrupt(osbornes latest lie) and fail to represent people (you always get politicians) as other types of leadership but also have difficulty with unpopular desicions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Those pictures are a fabrication

Why are you claiming they are fake?

Who knew MPs were more interested in their own welfare than ours?
    PS they really care and we are all in it together

gobuchul
    Free Member

There’s a strong argument to say road deaths are down because people especially kids stay clear of roads, instead choosing to sit in their bedrooms on xboxs getting fat. It’s still the most common cause of death of under 25s and responsible for many more deaths by local polution. Cancer survival rates have improved also should we not bother anymore?

The UK has some of the safest roads in the World. Safer than France, Holland, Germany and Belgium.

There is a strong argument to say road deaths are down because of action taken by the government to improve standards of safety equipment fitted in cars and improvements to the road infrastructure.

The government cannot change human nature and people will always drive like dicks especially young men under 25.

Junkyard
    Free Member

gobuchul
    Free Member

Junkyard – Your point is?

The thread is about MPs not being interested in the people they represent.

An example was made about their lack of interest in reducing deaths on the road.

I made the point that there is evidence that some work has been done to reduce road deaths by said MPs.

🙄

wilburt
    Free Member

Reducing deaths of people IN those cars but not those outside, I’m aware of how UK safety standards stack up globally that’s more a reflection of how poor the rest of the world is with 1.25 million people killed annually it’s the eighth biggest killer but unlike the the more frequent reasons road transport kills young people. Local polution is also responsible for 10/20x these figures directly or indirectly by causing those more frequent reasons. TBH though we’ve all got die somehow my main dislike of excessive use is the social impact on the living.

If young people “always drive like dicks” there’s plenty you can do about it and should , the reason nothing happens is because it’s econimically costly and that age group has a vote which sort of brings us back to my original point.

gobuchul
    Free Member

In 1999, when Great Britain had the safest roads in Europe apart from Sweden, the government set a new national casualty reduction target, to be met by the year 2010. The target for 2010, compared to the average for the years 1994 to 1998, was a reduction of 40% in the number of people Killed or Seriously Injured (KSI) casualties, a reduction of 50% the number of children KSI casualties and a reduction of 10% in the rate of people slightly injured per 100 million vehicle kilometres.[2] By 2009, the results were: killed or seriously injured 44% lower; children killed or seriously injured 61% lower and the slight casualty rate was 37% lower

If young people “always drive like dicks” there’s plenty you can do about it and should

Like what? Apart from raising the age limit for driving?

The human body isn’t really designed to survive impacts above 15 mph. Travelling at high speed will always result in some deaths.
    Sharing a road on a bike with some polystyrene on your head with vehicles that weigh more than 1 tonne and travel at 30 mph + is risky. If there is a collision there is only going to be one winner.

Sandwich

The government cannot change human nature and people will always drive like dicks especially young men under 25.

I suggest you look at drink driving, attitudes can change but it will take about 40 years based on the results with DD. In the 60’s it was about 1640 deaths year from DD, last year 230.

Details here in the Indy This years ad is a bit of a stunner halfway down the page.

wilburt
    Free Member

Like what? Apart from raising the age limit for driving?

If your imagination thats limited it’ll take more than my words to convince you.

The human body isn’t really designed to survive impacts above 15 mph. Travelling at high speed will always result in some deaths.
    Sharing a road on a bike with some polystyrene on your head with vehicles that weigh more than 1 tonne and travel at 30 mph + is risky. If there is a collision there is only going to be one winner.

Trolling Shirley?

Anyway back to the original point- I’m arguing for big government as opposed to the traditional Anglo Saxon free for all.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Anyway back to the original point- I’m arguing for big government as opposed to the traditional Anglo Saxon free for all.

Oligarchical big government or democratic big government ?

MrNutt
    Free Member

what is wrong with you people?

“serving the public interest to there best means?”

IT’S THEIR NOT THERE.

for godsake standards are really slipping around here.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

oligarchy
    ??l????ki/
    noun
    a small group of people having control of a country or organization.

as so often is true, follow the money. the large donations a political party receives affect its policy making.

since large ‘donations’ are made by a small number of individuals – and donations control the policy-making of a government – the decision making of a government is controlled by a small number of individuals – therefore the uk is an oligarchy

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So how do these mp people get their jobs?

The UK is not even close to being an oligarchy

Arguably one of the reasons why we have a relatively strong (?) recovery is the fact that the Tories, despite their and their opponents rhetoric, have actually followed a relatively loose fiscal policy – no one seeing the can in the road?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

By genuflexion to current party policy and fellation of current party leader.

konabunny
    Free Member

There’s a strong argument to say road deaths are down because people especially kids stay clear of roads, instead choosing to sit in their bedrooms on xboxs getting fat…Using an extreme example to argue a point is pretty weak

o_O

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member
    By genuflexion to current party policy and fellation of current party leader.

That’s odd, I could have sworn they were voted into their jobs on a regular basis – how many jobs have that obligation?

bencooper
    Free Member

In most constituencies, you could put up a cardboard cutout and as long as it had the right colour rosette it’d be elected MP.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why do they waste all that money campaigning then? Are they stupid? And what about the people who vote, are they completely bonkers?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Arguably one of the reasons why we have a relatively strong (?) recovery is the fact that the Tories, despite their and their opponents rhetoric, have actually followed a relatively loose fiscal policy – no one seeing the can in the road?

I know you are a committed Tory THM and you obviously want to blow the Tory trumpet, but let’s look at the facts rather than your Tory spin.

The Tories inherited a recovering and growing economy, the reason they managed to delay the recovery by several more years (the global banking crises was six years ago for **** sake) is because of their policies of austerity.

You will see here that in 2010, two years after the global banking crises, and when the Tories came to power, they inherited a recovering and growing economy.

The Tories managed to halt the recovery and delay it by several more years.

piemonster

Everybody that votes for anything other than what I vote for is a brainwashed ****wit

I vote for pies, pies and chips.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard – Your point is?

Damn I guess I was way to subtle then with that.

Voting but one can have both – they are not mutually exclusive. See Russia for example. for example one could ask whether a large % being drawn form a narrow social sphere meant power was held by an elite – See also Eton. private schools, Oxbridge Bullingdon boys etc.

The UK is not even close to being an oligarchy

You probably need to say why you think this rather than just state it.

I dont think fiscal policy looseness has any relation to whether you are or are not an oligarchy. could you explain?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I know you are a committed Tory THM and you obviously want to blow the Tory trumpet, but let’s look at the facts rather than your Tory spin.

Nice try Ernie, but wrong as usual or simply trolling.

The Tories inherited a recovering and growing economy, the reason they managed to delay the recovery by several more years (the global banking crises was six years ago for **** sake) is because of their policies of austerity.

And you say others a spinning, brilliant! Great selective timing on the graph too. Be careful you don’t get too giddy! Even the IMF have up spinning that kind of nonsense. Plenty of things to attack the Tories over, no need to make them up though.

bencooper
    Free Member

Why do they waste all that money campaigning then? Are they stupid? And what about the people who vote, are they completely bonkers?

They’re targeting floating voters in marginal constituencies. They’re the only people who can change governments, most people live in constituencies with large majorities, where voting for a different party is pretty much pointless.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nice try Ernie, but wrong as usual or simply trolling.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you’re not a Tory. Despite banging on what a great job the Tories do, as you have yet again in this thread, you wouldn’t vote for them. You’re a Labour voter aren’t you ? No wait, I’ve just remembered, you’re too shy to say how you vote 🙄

Great selective timing on the graph too.

I timed it to be in response to your Tory spin post which ignored the fact that the Tories inherited a recovering and growing economy.

Yes I thought it was excellent timing too, so that’s at least one thing which we can agree on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I forgot, you’re not a Tory.

You are getting there, good. It’s a shame when people have to tie themselves to political parties. Makes it difficult to be rational at times

Despite banging on what a great job the Tories do, as you have yet

More selective quoting. Brilliant. But bad luck, bait left to float down the river.

slowoldman

The Tories managed to halt the recovery and delay it by several more years.

If anything, the graph you posted demonstrated that the world economies are surprisingly closely linked and that the party in power in any particular country has a minor effect.

Anyhow, back to the original question. Oligarchy please – as long as it’s me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If anything, the graph you posted demonstrated that the world economies are surprisingly closely linked and that the party in power in any particular country has a minor effect.

No shit Sherlock ?

Why do you think I referred to the global banking crises ? 🙄

Tories THM like to pretend that the crises was purely due to the incompetence of the British Labour government, when it was in fact due to the global incompetence of bankers and the neo-liberal experiment.

And it’s not “If anything the graph….”. The graph not only shows the global nature of the crises but also how the Tories inherited a recovering and growing economy four years ago

Have a look at it again and note the situation in 2010 :

Note also how the UK and the Eurozone, both implementing strict austerity programmes, went back into negative growth while the US remained in positive growth.

All economies eventually recover periods of recession, the Tories simply delayed the recovery (it’s been six years since Lehman Brothers went bust and helped trigger the crises) and with the help of THM they want to take the credit for that eventual delayed recovery.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well done Ernie, you are being remarkably consistent in inaccuracies

1. Tories THM

2. it was in fact due to the global incompetence of bankers and the neo-liberal experiment.

3. both implementing strict austerity programmes

4. went back into negative growth (check ONS YoY data since 2010)

5. Tories simply delayed the recovery (see above)

6. with the help of THM…..

Quite brilliant

El-bent
    Free Member

All the crowing from this shower of sh*t government over how UK economy is growing faster than our competitors in Europe, The German economy returned to its pre-recession figure in 2010, France in 2011, we thanks to the ideologically driven measures of this Government only achieved it this year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Oligarchy, or democracy?’ is closed to new replies.