Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Oldish laptop – refurb or replace?
  • Pickers

I have a small laptop, it’s not the highest spec but it does pretty much all I need it to do.
    I’m umming and arring whether to update it – it runs Vista at the moment, support for which runs out this year. At the moment this is the main issue – for one I can’t sync my Iphone ( which I need to do to add files from the PC for a couple of apps) as it needs a newer version of Windows (7 would be fine). Needs a new battery. Looking as well at popping in a 250Gb SSD drive in place of the HDD (might be back to get help on cloning).
    I reckon for £100 or so I could do all of this. There’s some handy software on there that I’d like to keep; I might not be able to find all the serial keys though…..

Question is, is it worth doing this? Or better to buy a new laptop

chorlton
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my mums old laptop from Vista to 7 just the other week. She only uses it for browsing, watching catch-up stuff and pictures so she had nothing important on it, just tons of crap. So I did a complete clean install. Long winded but straight forward enough.
    She’s says it’s like new. 🙂
    You’re after something a bit more so it just depends whether you think it’s worth your time. I’d enjoy fiddling around with it personally.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I stuck windows 10 on mine whilst it was free.

Plus – like a new laptop, everything’s running quickly and without crashing/bloatware

Minus – The hardware still doesn’t run Photoshop very well (so no upgrade in that sense).

It still works perfectly fine as an everyday PC.

z1ppy

I did memory, SSD & windows 10 (it’s still free upgrade from 7) on both mine & my partners ‘old’ laptops, as neither is particularly over worked by our usage, very happy with the results. Older kit won’t take ‘full’ advantage of the performance of an SSD but it will still marked improvement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Oldish laptop – refurb or replace?’ is closed to new replies.